Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 08:45 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
The problem is there are great consequences with any medical choice txt. And often kids don't now, or forget to tell the doctor about family related problems. My sister is a pediatrician, and she said grown adults will sometimes forget to tell her. Multiply that by 3 and you can see the problem. I think MOST parents when presented with their daughter asking about BC will put her on it. Even if they don't agree with it. However having free access protects protects the percentage wholes parents won't do it no matter what.
yes, this, plus what Ivory said about her own history that could affect her daughters. I'm not necessarily saying a 16 or 17 yo shouldn't be able to get BC, but I think at 14, parents need to be in the mix. That is just really young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 08:47 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
The problem is there are great consequences with any medical choice txt. And often kids don't now, or forget to tell the doctor about family related problems. My sister is a pediatrician, and she said grown adults will sometimes forget to tell her. Multiply that by 3 and you can see the problem. I think MOST parents when presented with their daughter asking about BC will put her on it. Even if they don't agree with it. However having free access protects protects the percentage wholes parents won't do it no matter what.
Nope, most girls I know who wanted to be on birth control had to do it after they turned 18 because they parents wouldn't let them.
I knew one girl who had to go to planned parenthood because her pediatrician wouldn't put her on birth control because of his religious convictions and she was 18 too.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:48 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
yes, this, plus what Ivory said about her own history that could affect her daughters. I'm not necessarily saying a 16 or 17 yo shouldn't be able to get BC, but I think at 14, parents need to be in the mix. That is just really young.
I think thats a moot point anyway because very very very few teens that age have sex. And the ones that do are usually too immature to ask or get it themselves.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I think thats a moot point anyway because very very very few teens that age have sex. And the ones that do are usually too immature to ask or get it themselves.
I only said 14 because that is the age txt suggested.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:51 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
I only said 14 because that is the age txt suggested.
Oh You!

Old 02-11-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Birth control /= having sex.
If I had a choice I would have been on birth control because when I was 14 I started competitively swimming and if the timing was right I would have been able to have been period free all season and during the summer.
Birth control is pretty much the best thing ever, not bleeding every month is like magic...

Old 02-11-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Nope, most girls I know who wanted to be on birth control had to do it after they turned 18 because they parents wouldn't let them.
I knew one girl who had to go to planned parenthood because her pediatrician wouldn't put her on birth control because of his religious convictions and she was 18 too.
time to find a new doctor, and a moot point because she was 18, and had the ability to go to PP or switch doctors. Some law saying she could get BC at 16 wouldn't have helped her.

As for your other friends, there are always condoms. It's not like pills are the only option.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Birth control /= having sex.
If I had a choice I would have been on birth control because when I was 14 I started competitively swimming and if the timing was right I would have been able to have been period free all season and during the summer.
Birth control is pretty much the best thing ever, not bleeding every month is like magic...
There are risks with hormonal BC. A parent may rightly feel that being able to control your period is not a good enough reason to be on it. A 14 yo is not going to realize or care about the down side. That's what parents are for.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
time to find a new doctor, and a moot point because she was 18, and had the ability to go to PP or switch doctors. Some law saying she could get BC at 16 wouldn't have helped her.

As for your other friends, there are always condoms. It's not like pills are the only option.
But the pill SHOULD be an option for girls, no matter the age, maybe 15+ or so but it SHOULD be available.
Condoms break and condoms don't have all the positive benefits birth control does.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:55 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Completely genuinely asking here: what age do you think is appropriate? If 18 is too old and some seem to say that 14 is too young? Is there a reason for the age you think it should be available or is it arbitrary?

Disclaimer: My kids will have access to BC and information about it and safe sex from a young age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting