Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 06:38 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,124,648 times

Advertisements

So east changes directions a lot made a proud mamma moment comment in another thread. I thought that would be a fun topic that maybe we could even not fight about. What was a proud parenting moment for you recently?

I have one from last night that makes me smile ear to ear. Context might make it hard to understand why this is so cool. But my DS has a REALLY hard time with writing. I posted a while back about negotiating the special ed scene. He had a paper due. Stress as usual. He wrote a very. Um. Well it wasn't very good. And sadly he knew it. But he did not know what to do. As always I checked it. I suggested some grammatical changes and that a topic sentences was kinda goofy. He fixed them.

I then said you know what. I have to tell you. You have a great skeleton here. His face lit like a bulb. I have a great skeleton. But you know what I need? I need more meat!

Side context here. The writing with his hands itself is the problem. The special ed person suggested Dragon Naturally Speaking which we have. But we have been having a hard time training it to his voice because he needs to learn to enunciate, and his voice cracks due to puberty. So he was all psyched to add meat. But he had to write or type it.

I offered to pretend to be Dragon. Off we went to the computer where he composed a really good paper! He was so proud. Instead of passing in something he knew was going to be less good than his friends, and watching that little bit transpire, he was going to hand in a paper he was happy with!

Proud parent moment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 07:19 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,891,497 times
Hahaha re: east changes directions a lot!

I love this idea for a thread, somebody. I also love your DS proud mama moment - there's nothing like seeing happiness and pride on our kids' faces.

The thing that popped to mind for me was when my 3.5 yo son and his friend were playing at the park earlier this week and she fell down. He immediately ran over to her, held out his hands and helped her back onto her feet, asking if she was ok. It makes me smile that he wants to be helpful and make sure that people are ok.

The funny corollary to this story is when an older girl (maybe 10 or so) he didn't know fell at the same park over the summer, he did the same exact thing.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:26 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,124,648 times
Nice!

Old 02-11-2012, 05:08 AM

19,480 posts, read 24,963,132 times
After graduating from college my son typed his resume on my computer. For the first time I found out more of the wonderful things that he did during those years. For two and a half years he led discussions with fraternity members and male dormitory students about date rape and the importance of respecting women. He also was a volunteer "safety walker" (female students could call a University number and a male volunteer would walk them home from the library, restaurant or party late at night). In addition, he tutored freshman through a program for minority and underprivileged students. I'm not sure what I was most proud about---that he actually did those things or that he did them quietly without even telling his family.

I am also very proud about my daughter's involvement in HIV and AIDS awareness. When she was about 14 years old she read And The Band Played On and the way that the government ignored the beginning of the AIDS epidemic horrified her. She started volunteering with various organizations and ten years later is still an extremely active volunteer. At the age when many girls are only interested in clothes, make-up & boys she wanted to help make the world a better, safer place for everyone.

I think I will send both of my children emails right now telling them how proud they make me.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:11 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,001,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I am also very proud about my daughter's involvement in HIV and AIDS awareness. When she was about 14 years old she read And The Band Played On and the way that the government ignored the beginning of the AIDS epidemic horrified her. She started volunteering with various organizations and ten years later is still an extremely active volunteer. At the age when many girls are only interested in clothes, make-up & boys she wanted to help make the world a better, safer place for everyone.
Not to ignore what your son did (which is pretty terrific ) but I am especially impressed by this. First, because that is a VERY difficult book to read because of the subject matter. It doesn't pull any punches. So for her to read it, then to go out and become active helping people.... Wow. You have every right to be a very proud mom!

Old 02-11-2012, 12:14 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,202,031 times
Great thread topic.

Seeing my older daughter earning her doctorate and being called Dr. "Smith" for the first time was really great.

My younger daughter organized a Relay for Life group at her college when she was a sophomore and got written up in the Chicago Tribune.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 02-11-2012 at 01:07 PM..

Old 02-11-2012, 01:03 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,793,424 times
I'm sure most of us could write a book of proud moments. My son finished his PhD in Physics and is now in Singapore working under a Nobel laureate he has admired his whole life. he eschewed a high salary here in the states with a prestigious title to follow his dreams.

Struggling 3rd grader is reading chapter books willingly now and it is showing in her attitude and grades while her 4th grade sister just found out she is one of 10 top contenders in the county for a big writing contest. We will know winner next week but I couldn't be prouder.

So for all our b#tching and moaning about our kids, we can all find moments to brag about.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:45 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,030,504 times
My 8 year old has moved me to tears a few times with his thoughtfulness. A family at his school lost everything in a fire, and the school asked for donations for them. He wanted to give, not just a few dollars, but ALL of the money in his piggy bank, about $70. After Christmas this year he stated that his favorite part was having family visit, not the presents.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:28 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,355,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
So east changes directions a lot made a proud mamma moment comment in another thread. I thought that would be a fun topic that maybe we could even not fight about.
You thought wrong. Pride comes before the fall; you should all be ashamed.

I'm proud of my son for something he did today. He's only 18 months old, so you'll forgive me if he hasn't made an A in Trig yet? Okay, today, we were playing "catch" where I usually have to GIVE him the ball and then take it away (yeah). But today, I said "Throw me the ball" and he threw it right into my hands. I was about four feet away! We tried it a second time, and he sorta kinda threw it to me again. The second pass wasn't but a foot away from where I was standing, so I think it counts for more than a fluke, yes?

Old 02-11-2012, 06:03 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,202,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
You thought wrong. Pride comes before the fall; you should all be ashamed.

I'm proud of my son for something he did today. He's only 18 months old, so you'll forgive me if he hasn't made an A in Trig yet? Okay, today, we were playing "catch" where I usually have to GIVE him the ball and then take it away (yeah). But today, I said "Throw me the ball" and he threw it right into my hands. I was about four feet away! We tried it a second time, and he sorta kinda threw it to me again. The second pass wasn't but a foot away from where I was standing, so I think it counts for more than a fluke, yes?
Sure. You've got another Tim Tebow there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting