Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 03:56 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I have become more compassionate by spending time online actually. Just because you don't see the person daily does not mean you don't have good experiences or learn from them.

(That thumbs-up took me away from my busy day being cranky and old and glaring at people who text but you deserve it.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 05:02 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdropinn View Post

(that thumbs-up took me away from my busy day being cranky and old and glaring at people who text but you deserve it.)
:d

Old 02-11-2012, 06:07 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It's not the fact they are entertaining themselves. It's the fact they are oblivious to those around them. An example was given above of a teen standing at the pharmacy drop off window while someone stood behind her thinking they were in line when she had simply parked in a convenient spot to text, play games, whatever...

Walking through the grocery store is a hazzard these days because people are texting, talking and playing games while pushing shopping carts or parked in the middle of the aisle as if they are the only ones who count. If you're sitting off in a corner where no one will need to get around you, I don't care what you do but if you're in the first chair in a row and people need you to move your feet to get past you and you've tuned everyone out, I have a problem with that.

Exactly. I got behind the girl because I thought she was on line to drop off a script at the pharmacy. After a couple of minutes I realized she was standing there involved in her phone.

If she had walked two feet more to the right there were chairs and she could have sat down and been out of the way.

It shows not only a lack of manners but stupidity.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:23 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,551,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I'm noticing this more and more.

The other day I was in a supermarket that I also use as a pharmacy for scripts. There was a teenage girl standing in front of the drop off window of the pharmacy dept.

I figured she was waiting to be helped so I got in line behind her. She stood there awhile and I could she was looking down. This went on for a few minutes.

Then she decided to sit down at one of the chairs that are provided, again still texting. Never looks up.

I then realized she wasn't standing at the drop off window waiting for help, she is so involved in her "texting" she is clueless to what is going on her around her. She just decided to pick that spot to text....sigh.

This is just adding to the lack of basic manners that you see today.
In all fairness, adults are pretty much the same. Take care.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:40 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
In all fairness, adults are pretty much the same. Take care.

Some adults, but not to the extent of the teens. I see them walking through busy parking lots with their heads down immersed in the phone.

Walking side by side with friends, yet they're texting. Never in the moment of real life going on around them, but more concerned with what is going on somewhere else.

Walking through stores and sitting in restaurants with their parents. The need to be constantly connected.

It has an impact on social skills in relating to people. Later on in life when you have to go on a job interview and look the person in the eye and be able to carry on an intelligent discussion will they be able to do that.

It's also impacting their grammar.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:13 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Some adults, but not to the extent of the teens. I see them walking through busy parking lots with their heads down immersed in the phone.

Walking side by side with friends, yet they're texting. Never in the moment of real life going on around them, but more concerned with what is going on somewhere else.

Walking through stores and sitting in restaurants with their parents. The need to be constantly connected.

It has an impact on social skills in relating to people. Later on in life when you have to go on a job interview and look the person in the eye and be able to carry on an intelligent discussion will they be able to do that.

My dd had friends over to watch a movie yesterday. All three of them were sitting on the couch, while the movie played, texting away... Sigh...

Old 02-12-2012, 07:19 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
Quote:

Back in middle school, girls used to write crap all "cute" and different...
Its not texting that started it...
The notes that were passed in middle school contained the same stupid writing that teens today think is "cute" and "cool"...

Old 02-12-2012, 07:20 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
Quote:

Also, look at my name on here, my main source of communication is texting....
I can look people in the eyes when speaking to them and carry on an intelligent conversation.
So can all my friends and my brother and his friends who basically came out of the womb with an Android.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:

No they just happen to do it different ways is all. Like parking their cart in the middle of the aisle while they look on the shelf obvious to the fact you are saying excuse me. Carrying on a convo in the checkout lane with a friend oblivious to the fact other people also want to get home,and holding the line up because they fail to notice the cashier has been done for 2 minutes. Driving their car in the parking lot oblivious to the fact they very nearly hit your car ,because their 'EAR' is glued to their cell phone. People who blame only one group of people must really not get out of the house much because i'd say it's a 'PEOPLE' problem, rather than a 'TEEN' problem.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
My dd had friends over to watch a movie yesterday. All three of them were sitting on the couch, while the movie played, texting away... Sigh...
Really you sat stoically watching every movie in silence when you were a teen now did you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting