U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-12-2012, 10:04 AM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
25,907 posts, read 35,116,354 times
Reputation: 42377

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Sorry, it's not the same thing as reading at all. When is the last time you had someone bump into you reading a book?

My point is they're so concerned with what is going on in their phone they're oblivious to other people and how they're behavior impacts others.

You want to text, go stand off in a corner out of the way of other people.

I hate to see what will happens if the system crashes, it will be like watching herion withdrawal.
I see lots of complaints about people texting in doctors' waiting rooms or on buses, or while standing in line or sitting in a restaurant. I even remember a post complaining about a kid who texted on a bench in a park. The person was huffy because the teenager was at a park, texting. I don't think anyone would gripe if a kid was reading a book in a park or at the doctor, but if it's a smartphone or DS then watch out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-12-2012, 10:10 AM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
25,907 posts, read 35,116,354 times
Reputation: 42377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
Glad you are cool with being bumped into. I won't feel a scooch of remorse next time I "accidentely" bump into someone standing in the middle of the aisles texting or the person so busy texting ahead of me in line that they don't realize they can now start unloading their cart.
Why not just say, "Excuse me"? Sometimes people are in the way, staring at their shopping list, or trying to find something on a shelf, or digging through their purse. Do you hit them with your cart too? Sometimes people are engrossed and don't realize someone is standing there. It has happened to everyone. Hence "excuse me, please."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2012, 10:35 AM
 
Location: anywhere
1,730 posts, read 4,018,828 times
Reputation: 1840
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Why not just say, "Excuse me"? Sometimes people are in the way, staring at their shopping list, or trying to find something on a shelf, or digging through their purse. Do you hit them with your cart too? Sometimes people are engrossed and don't realize someone is standing there. It has happened to everyone. Hence "excuse me, please."
But how many times do I have to say excuse me? Usually when it comes to teens who are texting, after 3 or 4 excuse me's they are usually still standing there doing their texting thing. Believe me, I am the most polite person you will ever meet, but even I have my limits. Not that I have intentionally hit anyone yet, but dang my patience is growing thin. I think I need to just buy an airhorn because clearly my voice isn't loud enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2012, 10:53 AM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
25,907 posts, read 35,116,354 times
Reputation: 42377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
But how many times do I have to say excuse me? Usually when it comes to teens who are texting, after 3 or 4 excuse me's they are usually still standing there doing their texting thing. Believe me, I am the most polite person you will ever meet, but even I have my limits. Not that I have intentionally hit anyone yet, but dang my patience is growing thin. I think I need to just buy an airhorn because clearly my voice isn't loud enough.
Heh, I sympathize. My voice is rather soft, so I sometimes have to repeat myself too. It helps if you move closer ... or at least it does for me. I do have to verbally poke people at times with a sharper "hey" or "ma'am?" Then a pleasant smile when they look up. I admit that shoppers who park it and hog the aisle irritate me. I don't like it when people don't seem to cate if they inconvenience others. I just try to react to each situation individually. I tend to caution people against mindsets like, "OMG people suck more and more nowadays and I am SO TICKED OFF." The people I know who buy into that thinking are angry and miserable.

Kids can be rude. I did some rude stuff too when I was a kid. /shrug

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2012, 03:57 PM
 
Location: here
24,484 posts, read 28,868,597 times
Reputation: 31077
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Why not just say, "Excuse me"? Sometimes people are in the way, staring at their shopping list, or trying to find something on a shelf, or digging through their purse. Do you hit them with your cart too? Sometimes people are engrossed and don't realize someone is standing there. It has happened to everyone. Hence "excuse me, please."
Yes, this was my point. People are oblivious. They may or may not be texting. Even when it appears they are texting, they are most likely updating their shopping list in the aisle of the grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2012, 09:34 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
3,302 posts, read 3,768,520 times
Reputation: 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Some adults, but not to the extent of the teens. I see them walking through busy parking lots with their heads down immersed in the phone.

Walking side by side with friends, yet they're texting. Never in the moment of real life going on around them, but more concerned with what is going on somewhere else.

Walking through stores and sitting in restaurants with their parents. The need to be constantly connected.

It has an impact on social skills in relating to people. Later on in life when you have to go on a job interview and look the person in the eye and be able to carry on an intelligent discussion will they be able to do that.

It's also impacting their grammar.
It may not be to the extent but to me parents overall do not set a good example because I see them doing the same to a great extent. I disagree with you about the extent. Maybe not as much as teen but the parents are also at fault for allowing the teent so have all these gadgets with hot supervision and control. The teens do it because they do not have limits imposed by parents. My wife used a word that with us worked great, NO. Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2012, 09:37 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
3,302 posts, read 3,768,520 times
Reputation: 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
My dd had friends over to watch a movie yesterday. All three of them were sitting on the couch, while the movie played, texting away... Sigh...
Why they did that in your home? Because you as a parent allowed and they did not see anyone setting limits. I am not one to use emoticons much. I actually dislike them but this time I use it because you allow this situation in your own home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2012, 05:37 AM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,393 posts, read 29,817,769 times
Reputation: 14503
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Why they did that in your home? Because you as a parent allowed and they did not see anyone setting limits. I am not one to use emoticons much. I actually dislike them but this time I use it because you allow this situation in your own home.
Good grief. It's not like they were out in public oblivious to what was going on around them. I think texting in ones own home should not be a subject of debate. If my dd had been the only one texting with guests over, I'd have said something but all three of them were texting/playing games so I just took a picture and made fun of them.

Personally, I have no issue with texting, game playing, whatever, as long as you aren't inconveniencing someone else. If you want to sit in the corner ... play away...if you're walking down the grocery store aisle or driving, pay attention to what you're doing.

The funniest one I saw was a group of teens out at a restaurant....you guessed it....all texting away... I wonder if they were texting each other? I've been known to text my dd's when they're engrossed in their phones. It really annoys them to get texts from mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2012, 05:44 AM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,393 posts, read 29,817,769 times
Reputation: 14503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Yes, this was my point. People are oblivious. They may or may not be texting. Even when it appears they are texting, they are most likely updating their shopping list in the aisle of the grocery store.
It's still rude. For some reason, people seem to tune everything out when texting, updating electronic devices, whatever when it involves an electronic device. It would be interesting to shut all transmissions down for a week and see what happened. I think many people would develop nervous ticks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2012, 06:18 AM
 
1,516 posts, read 1,772,553 times
Reputation: 3110
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Some adults, but not to the extent of the teens. I see them walking through busy parking lots with their heads down immersed in the phone.

Walking side by side with friends, yet they're texting. Never in the moment of real life going on around them, but more concerned with what is going on somewhere else.

Walking through stores and sitting in restaurants with their parents. The need to be constantly connected.

It has an impact on social skills in relating to people. Later on in life when you have to go on a job interview and look the person in the eye and be able to carry on an intelligent discussion will they be able to do that.

It's also impacting their grammar.
Sadly I agree with you although I see my fair share of adults engaged in texting and being oblivious to the world. I think that teens probably suffer more since texting is their own little world, filled with friends, little dramas that take place second by second. In another post, I related in incident of a mom and 12ish year old daughter at dinner sitting next to us at a restaurant. Both were furiously texting during the course of the dinner. About two sentences were said the whole time with both of their noses buried in their electronics. A few weeks ago, my friend was commenting that when she gets together with her son, DIL and the rest of the kids, her DIL and son constantly are texting. When you try to carry on a conversation, it is almost like you are the distraction.

I'm not a huge fan of texting in my own family and we set a limit on my daugther's phone. She is 12 years old and we got her a cell for coordination mostly with the bus schedule since she has a number of after school activities. We finally gave into letting her text. It was amazing how quickly she became addicted to that idiotic phone, checking for texts every few minutes. We set a cap of a certain number texts per month and she exceeded that within a week---these are inane texts and she also gets herself into trouble with the texts catfighting with the other girls. Now she mysteriously can't text (evil grin) and my husband gives her that innocent look like, gee texting must be not working for some reason. I told her that if she wants to chat with her friends, give them a call. Yesterday she gave me a handwritten note begging me for a purse she wanted. Everything was misspelled with statements like, "I talked 2 u about this and u sd no. ur daugtr." Of course my daughter is a high maintenance kid and I'm sure that many teens are just fine with the texting. Both my husband and I know that we will really need to keep an eye on this since with my daughter, this could really get out of control and she could be that teen texting behind the wheel of a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top