U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 07:12 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,668,038 times

Advertisements

I'm noticing this more and more.

The other day I was in a supermarket that I also use as a pharmacy for scripts. There was a teenage girl standing in front of the drop off window of the pharmacy dept.

I figured she was waiting to be helped so I got in line behind her. She stood there awhile and I could she was looking down. This went on for a few minutes.

Then she decided to sit down at one of the chairs that are provided, again still texting. Never looks up.

I then realized she wasn't standing at the drop off window waiting for help, she is so involved in her "texting" she is clueless to what is going on her around her. She just decided to pick that spot to text....sigh.

This is just adding to the lack of basic manners that you see today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 07:51 PM

9,018 posts, read 7,959,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I'm noticing this more and more.

The other day I was in a supermarket that I also use as a pharmacy for scripts. There was a teenage girl standing in front of the drop off window of the pharmacy dept.

I figured she was waiting to be helped so I got in line behind her. She stood there awhile and I could she was looking down. This went on for a few minutes.

Then she decided to sit down at one of the chairs that are provided, again still texting. Never looks up.

I then realized she wasn't standing at the drop off window waiting for help, she is so involved in her "texting" she is clueless to what is going on her around her. She just decided to pick that spot to text....sigh.

This is just adding to the lack of basic manners that you see today.
Whats more annoying than that is when you see them texting while driving.
Its actually alarming
They seem to think that texting is more important than anything else going on. Probably why I personally don't text much

Old 02-10-2012, 11:54 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,019,169 times
My mother used to complain that I always had my "nose buried in a book," and when I was five or six she took my favorite book, Charlotte's Web, away from me because I read it all the time. Texting is no different--just more mobile. Yes, it's rude and doofy, but would you get that ticked if you saw a kid engrossed in a book?

Old 02-10-2012, 11:55 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,019,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Whats more annoying than that is when you see them texting while driving.
Its actually alarming
They seem to think that texting is more important than anything else going on. Probably why I personally don't text much
I agree here. Texting while driving is a big problem.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:00 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,884,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
My mother used to complain that I always had my "nose buried in a book," and when I was five or six she took my favorite book, Charlotte's Web, away from me because I read it all the time. Texting is no different--just more mobile. Yes, it's rude and doofy, but would you get that ticked if you saw a kid engrossed in a book?

I can't believe your Mother would take a book away from you. That is unbelieveable.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:32 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,831,336 times
It's mind boggling people even want to text. Texting is one step above Morse Code. It's isn't even 1930s technology.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:55 AM

25,393 posts, read 29,736,370 times
I think it's just teenagers in general. Yesterday, I was trying to get my class settled down so I could give them instructions for the lab they were doing and one girl who had been absent the day before and missed a quiz kept interrupting with questions on when she could take the quiz. Each answer I gave was met with "I can't do that" and, finally, I just said "I don't know when you can take the quiz". She looked like I'd just punched her in the face. 20/20 hind sight, I should have called her on it not being the time to discuss this. My students think nothing of taking up class time to figure out their personal issues. Kids today just think they count more than anyone else. They've been told how special they are since they were knee high to a grasshopper and now they act like they are special. It shouldn't surprise us they live in their own little worlds where they are oblivious to everything else.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:58 AM

4,424 posts, read 5,214,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
If i saw a kid or anyone else reading a book while driving then yes id be ticked.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:50 AM

25,393 posts, read 29,736,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
If i saw a kid or anyone else reading a book while driving then yes id be ticked.
I have seen an adult reading the news paper while driving, doing some kind of puzzle while driving, knitting while driving and even eating corn on the cob while driving. Do people really not get that driving is the most important thing you should be doing while driving?

Old 02-11-2012, 06:49 AM

14,212 posts, read 9,629,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It's mind boggling people even want to text. Texting is one step above Morse Code. It's isn't even 1930s technology.
Yeah i think the delivery systems are a bit above morse code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting