Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 06:51 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times

Advertisements

This entire situation is a catch 22 in my opinion. The less physical activity, the worse the kids do academically, then physical activity is reduced in favor of academic time.

My kids do Physical Education 3 x a week, and have recess 1 x a day in elementary school. That is not enough for the more rambunctious child I don't believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 06:56 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
This entire situation is a catch 22 in my opinion. The less physical activity, the worse the kids do academically, then physical activity is reduced in favor of academic time.

My kids do Physical Education 3 x a week, and have recess 1 x a day in elementary school. That is not enough for the more rambunctious child I don't believe.
which brings up another point - all kids are different. What is fine for one, is not enough for another.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:15 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
When my kids were in preschool they had active, outdoor recess every day. If the weather was bad they would have active time indoors - riding various vehicles indoors, tumbling on mats, etc. At home, they spent about 75% of their waking hours in some type of active play.

My kids are both now in elementary school and one of my kids has complained about the boring playground equipment and the ever tightening safety rules governing what they can/can't do outside during recess. During the winter when it gets dark so early, it can be a real challenge to get in enough outdoor physical activity after school.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:00 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I wonder how much our litigious society has to do with this? Not to mention that Johnny's going to emergency room for a broken arm could bankrupt mom and dad. It's a shame.
I'm sure that a LARGE part of it. Especially the suing, A few years ago I went back to my old elementary school for an open house. All the jungle gyms were gone. The metal slides were gone. When I asked about the slides I was told it was because they got hot in the sun. (Which in my day we had sense enough to figure out for ourselves and did something else.) They also said the slides were too high. And I thought, "Well, of course they're high, That's the point."

Had one of us gotten hurt, which we did from time to time, our parents wouldn't have thought of suing. Different mind set back then.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:36 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,202 times
My daughter is in 4th grade and she has Phys. Ed. 1x per week on Wednesdays for I believe 30 minutes. They have 20 minute afternoon recess before lunch, then in for another 20 minutes to eat then back to class. They have a snack time in the morning that is I believe 10 minutes, no outside time.

This is not enough exercise IMO.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
My daugher worked at a preschool/day care until May of this year. They went outside daily, unless the temperatures were extreme. I forget the temp limits, but they did go out unless it was extremely cold or hot. She worked in another day care one summer in college, perhaps five years ago, and they took the kids out every day as well.

Back in the 50s, my first elementary school did not give recess, not even in first grade.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:33 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Back in the 50s, my first elementary school did not give recess, not even in first grade.
That's interesting. Any PE at all?

Old 02-13-2012, 11:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That's interesting. Any PE at all?
No. No PE at the second ele school I went to, either, though we did have an AM and PM recess.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:43 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
So everyone has their pedestal issues and this is one of mine. In my humble opinion, yes, recess and PE are important but even more important is unsupervised outdoor play. Organized team sports are at an all time high in the US even as our kids get less exercise and are more obese than ever. So what's changed? Outside of the average American kid's diet sucking. No one goes outside and plays anymore.

Think about when you were a kid. I ran inside from school (no homework until 5th grade) grabbed my bike and headed outside. Our neighborhood played capture the flag, pick up games of football and soccer and endless hide and go seek. This is what I think is missing in the life of today's kids. Now kids come home (and mine included although we fight it) have hours of homework, extracurricular activities and then all they want to do is play video games and watch tv.

I've plugged it before and I need to reread it every year but Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv is a brilliant book on the necessary relationship between the outdoors and our kids.

Ok, stepping off now

Old 02-13-2012, 03:21 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
When my kids were in preschool they had outdoor playtime and gymtime every day. Have things changed that much in the past 10-15 years?
One word.....Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting