U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 03:32 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,730,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
One word.....Yes.
Not really. I don't know of any preschool that doesn't do outside time every day. Here when snow is on the ground or it is too cold, they play inside (ours was at a church so they played in the fellowship hall with scooters and things like that).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 03:54 PM

8,004 posts, read 9,653,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Not really. I don't know of any preschool that doesn't do outside time every day. Here when snow is on the ground or it is too cold, they play inside (ours was at a church so they played in the fellowship hall with scooters and things like that).
Oh....well, preschools seem to be a bit better about it, but it seems as if the older the kids get, the less they think they need exercise. At least that's the way it is in our district. In our Jr. High & High school, they generally don't have more than 2 terms of P.E. per year. If a kid is clever enough, they can get it down to 1. In grade school, they have 1 "recess" plus lunch, then P.E. on either Mon & Wed or Tues & Thurs. It seems strange to me, because I remember having P.E. every day, from the time I started to school, until I left high school.

Unless you had a Dr's note, you were not excused from P.E.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:13 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,730,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Oh....well, preschools seem to be a bit better about it, but it seems as if the older the kids get, the less they think they need exercise. At least that's the way it is in our district. In our Jr. High & High school, they generally don't have more than 2 terms of P.E. per year. If a kid is clever enough, they can get it down to 1. In grade school, they have 1 "recess" plus lunch, then P.E. on either Mon & Wed or Tues & Thurs. It seems strange to me, because I remember having P.E. every day, from the time I started to school, until I left high school.

Unless you had a Dr's note, you were not excused from P.E.
Ya, PE was required from grades 1-11 for me IIRC.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:10 PM

15,287 posts, read 16,833,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Please, please, nana - not this again. Not the "show me the studies" again. This IS about a study done systematically and methodically.
Never mind that you don't need to produce a study for each and every little argument you make. Well-reasoned, in-depth, logical arguments, built on correct extrapolations and sound observations can be as valid if not more so than a random empirical study that can only take so many variables into consideration. Then again, when so much anecdotal evidence surfaces, then there is certainly a fire somewhere producing the smoke.

For some social realities, there are simply no studies done and at everyone's fingertips; but just because no statistics are available on some specific issues doesn't mean the argument is invalid.

Children today are clearly more physically inactive than those of previous generations - despite more of them being enrolled in organized activities.

Physical activity is a daily thing - not an once-a-week organized affair.

Just look around.
The study was in ONE place not over the entire US.

My grandchildren here in Texas are running around outside almost every day, barring rain. They have recess and pe in school though that is limited (they are in 1st grade and 4th grade now). They had more outdoor time in their preschools than they do now.

My granddaughter and her friend were outdoors on their scooters playing from 3:30 pm to around 5:30 pm today after school.

I don't see the trend here at all. Lots of the kids here play sports or go to YMCA camps during breaks and in the summer. Those are out door activities and require quite a bit of running around.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:22 PM

4,044 posts, read 5,943,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The study was in ONE place not over the entire US.

My grandchildren here in Texas are running around outside almost every day, barring rain. They have recess and pe in school though that is limited (they are in 1st grade and 4th grade now). They had more outdoor time in their preschools than they do now.

My granddaughter and her friend were outdoors on their scooters playing from 3:30 pm to around 5:30 pm today after school.

I don't see the trend here at all. Lots of the kids here play sports or go to YMCA camps during breaks and in the summer. Those are out door activities and require quite a bit of running around.
I bet even in Texas kids don't run around outside like they used to. Texas may indeed be less affected by this trend - but read around to hear anecdotal evidence from around the country. Forget about studies. No matter how much we would want to relegate our brains to machines that only function with a reference list attached (like cars do with gas), we will never have an empirical, peer-reviewed study handy to confirm each and every bit of the social realities happening around us.
There are simply not enough money to be spent on officializing common sense.

We might as well get used to it and go back to using our own eyes to read, our ears to hear, our tongue to communicate and our God-Given observational capacities, common sense and intuition - to draw conclusions about what is REALLY happening and what is just a fluke.

An empirical study confirming some things that are out there is certainly welcome; but random empiricism without a general vision, without capacity to make connections and to extrapolate - only amounts to sophisticated ignorance. Nothing else. I really do believe intuition is still the best deal in town.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:18 AM

3,084 posts, read 6,464,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I bet even in Texas kids don't run around outside like they used to. Texas may indeed be less affected by this trend - but read around to hear anecdotal evidence from around the country. Forget about studies. No matter how much we would want to relegate our brains to machines that only function with a reference list attached (like cars do with gas), we will never have an empirical, peer-reviewed study handy to confirm each and every bit of the social realities happening around us.
There are simply not enough money to be spent on officializing common sense.

We might as well get used to it and go back to using our own eyes to read, our ears to hear, our tongue to communicate and our God-Given observational capacities, common sense and intuition - to draw conclusions about what is REALLY happening and what is just a fluke.

An empirical study confirming some things that are out there is certainly welcome; but random empiricism without a general vision, without capacity to make connections and to extrapolate - only amounts to sophisticated ignorance. Nothing else. I really do believe intuition is still the best deal in town.
The thing is.....One simply cannot compare today's time to a generation or two or three ago in exact specifics. It is not an apples to apples comparison and never will be. There are far too many factors that affect society to make it a beneficial study.

What can be done is observation that what the study referenced in the OP says is NOT what is seen around the nation and should not be taken as fact in all cases. Today's preschool kids DO get outside or involved in rigorous activity far more than 2-3% of their day.

Do all kids go outside at the point of waking up and stay outside all day like they did in the 60's when I was growing up? No. They also don't get up before dawn and work all morning before school and return to working after school until bedtime like they did in the 20's when my grandmother was a kid.

The parameters are ever changing and things will never compare directly.

Now what can be done is to manage things within the parameters we currently live with and manipulate those parameters when we can to best benefit our children.

As a parent I manipulate by not jumping on every technology bandwagon out there and not scheduling my children's day minute by minute.

As a parent I manage things by making sure my kids play in the rain and snow, build stick forts, dig for worms, read as much as they want, have cuddle sessions and make loving memories.

I am in Texas...in the DFW area. My own eyes and ears observe very well and in our area there are kids outside everywhere. (weather permitting of course)

I choose to drive my kids to and from school, however I see all kinds of kids riding their bikes and walking to and from school. You can't miss them as they are a hazard to drivers. :-) There are a few who are walking/riding no matter what the weather is too as they obviously have no other choice.

The first group in PE at the elementary goes out immediately after the class actually begins and is seen out there when I am returning from taking my 8th grader to school. There are groups out there when I arrive for a 9:20 assembly or 2:30 parent conference. Then when I arrive for dismissal there is yet another group outside.

I get home from picking everyone up and there are kids on bikes, scooters, and skateboards in the neighborhood. Behind us there are 2-8 kids on the trampoline, riding the small 4 wheeler and playing the drum set (shudder lol). My son goes out to play basketball in our driveway and within 10 minutes there are 5-10 kids out there playing.

It snowed the other night around 9 PM and my kids and the kids across the street were out running around in it in their PJ's.

Down the road a bit is a public park with a tennis and basketball courts that seem to always have a pick up game going of bball and often a few tennis players going. During spring there is recreational baseball leagues playing every night and during the fall there is rec football as well.

The fact is.....life is what you choose to make of it from that which your are dealt.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:49 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
There are a few who are walking/riding no matter what the weather is too as they obviously have no other choice.
I have a rule in my house that we walk or bike to everything within a reasonable distance. If it's raining, we use umbrellas and leave the bikes at home. If it's really cold, we bundle up.

A lot of the other parents at our school assume that we can't afford a car and or gas and that's why we walk. (we've probably spent as much on bicycles as some of their cars are worth ) I put maybe 20 miles a week on my car. I put probably 50 miles a week on my bicycle and will increase that if it stops raining so much.

My kids always get pudgy and have less energy during the school year. They have PE two or three times a week, depending on the week. They get a 15 minute recess every day, unless it's rainy, cold, too hot, an ozone alert day, etc. When they get home, they have to do homework. That doesn't leave much time to play after that before dinnertime.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:11 AM

523 posts, read 834,623 times
I was a child of the 70's and we did run around after school each day playing with neighborhood kids. Why? There was nothing else to do! For elementary aged kids there was little league and scouts and that's about it. Some kids took private music lessons or perhaps went to religious ed classes.

It's so different today. There are so many more opportunities for sports and activities and people take advantage of it. Many that are through park and rec departments or the local Y are very affordable and convenient. My kids have the option of soccer (year round), baseball, softball, football, flag football, gymnastics, dance, cheerleading, volleyball, basketball, martial arts, swimming, theatre, music lessons, lego club, science club, film, art classes, languages, I could go on and on. Do some people overbook their kids and do too much? Sure. In elementary school I would have loved to take advantage of these thing. I was a girl scout and we met once a month and then when I was older I took dance lessons. I like that my kids can try different things and see what they like and where they excell. They still play outside and have playdates -just not every single day.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:40 AM

12,913 posts, read 19,787,452 times
My kids were always outside playing, in fact they still are as college students. They spend most weekends hiking or mountain biking.

In our neighborhood there is still evidence of children playing, but for some reason it is almost exclusively boys. They get off the bus, grab their bikes, and play until dinner. My friend's daughter was so happy to hear another girl her age was moving here over the summer. The first thing the new girl's parents did was sign her up for year-round soccer. So, my friend signed her daughter up for tennis and swimming so she wouldn't sit around the house after school.

I think most children would prefer to play outside. But, that loses appeal when there is nobody to play with.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:42 PM

3,084 posts, read 6,464,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I have a rule in my house that we walk or bike to everything within a reasonable distance. If it's raining, we use umbrellas and leave the bikes at home. If it's really cold, we bundle up.

A lot of the other parents at our school assume that we can't afford a car and or gas and that's why we walk. (we've probably spent as much on bicycles as some of their cars are worth ) I put maybe 20 miles a week on my car. I put probably 50 miles a week on my bicycle and will increase that if it stops raining so much.

My kids always get pudgy and have less energy during the school year. They have PE two or three times a week, depending on the week. They get a 15 minute recess every day, unless it's rainy, cold, too hot, an ozone alert day, etc. When they get home, they have to do homework. That doesn't leave much time to play after that before dinnertime.
You are an exception, but a great one! These particular kiddos I see I know (shouldn't have said obviously as I do know) they have no choice as they are a single parent home and are on their own totally to get to school and we have no buses for schools less than 2 miles from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or