Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 10:56 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,360 times

Advertisements

I told my kids that if they didn't behave, they would be getting lumps of coal for Christmas. Of course, then I had to explain what coal was. It backfired a bit, I think, because what did my 8 yr old son get from the explaination?:

"A rock that burns? Cool!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 01:17 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Do not brush your teeth with toilet water (said to the 2-yr old - you know, the toilet bowl is a lot easier to reach than the sink when you decide to go brush your own teeth).
Classic

Old 10-15-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
I told my kids that if they didn't behave, they would be getting lumps of coal for Christmas. Of course, then I had to explain what coal was. It backfired a bit, I think, because what did my 8 yr old son get from the explaination?:

"A rock that burns? Cool!"

Reminds me:

"Stop that, you sound like a broken record!"

"Daddy, what is a record? What does a broken record sound like?"

"Records are those things that we play on the victrola at Christmas that are kind of like a giant CD and. . . . - oh forget it, just stop saying the same thing over and over"

Old 10-15-2009, 03:19 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Reminds me:

"Stop that, you sound like a broken record!"

"Daddy, what is a record? What does a broken record sound like?"

"Records are those things that we play on the victrola at Christmas that are kind of like a giant CD and. . . . - oh forget it, just stop saying the same thing over and over"
And that reminds me. A few days ago, we watched The Proposal. Sandra Bullock is in Alaska and needs to get online, so Ryan Reynolds takes her to the only Internet cafe in town, a rinkydink place with a coin-operated computer. There was a tell-tale screech of a modem, and my husband and I laughed.

Daughter: What's that noise?
Me: Dial-up.
Daughter: What's that?
Me: Uh ... really slow Internet.
Daughter: Why does it make that noise?
Me: It's the modem.
Daughter: What's that?
Husband (to me): Face it, you're old.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:27 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Years ago (maybe 15 years ago) when my daughter was little, she had a friend over. We still had an old, corded, DIAL phone. I told her to call home and tell her mom she was over. She looked blankly at this mysterious object and then up at me and said "how do I do it?" Sigh.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:33 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
"Either get a bigger bandaid or clot quickly. I don't want blood on the car seats." Said to my skateboarding son after he skinned his knee for the zillionth time.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:40 AM

A new one just got added yesterday:

"Honey, I am really sorry that I set your chickens on fire"

Long story, embarrassing, not pretty.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:55 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
A new one just got added yesterday:

"Honey, I am really sorry that I set your chickens on fire"

Long story, embarrassing, not pretty.
I know it's been a while since you posted this, but I would love to hear that story. LMAO!

Old 07-10-2010, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,022 times
These are hilarious. My favorite was to my nephew: "What did I say about licking your brother?" Not only did we have to talk about it...we had to talk about it REPEATEDLY! Found a bunch more at [url=http://www.parentssaythedarndestthings.com/]Parents Say the Darndest Things[/url] - you guys should post these there too!

---Mike

Old 07-10-2010, 09:26 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Friend of mine, mother of 5yo pushing hard my 2yo girl , out of the blue, obviously making her cry.
Mother's voice like honey, all "New Age-y" and "enlightened":

"Johnny", (fictive name), what do you say to "Jenny" now?
How do you think she felt inside when you pushed her?

The boy mumbles something, looks away, completely disinterested, then leaves. Mom does nothing else about it, proud that she applied her "enlightened parenting" technique correctly.

This will most probably not sound like the "darndest thing" to many parents as it has become the "normal thing", but the entire situation was indeed surreal.

My 5 yo son would have been made to feel my disappointment about what he did - in his blood.

Oh, well. Times are changin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting