Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 05:36 PM

45 posts, read 261,606 times

Advertisements

art linkletter said that kids say the darndest things.

i say that parents say things they never thought they'd ever say.

this week it was a close encounter with my own cultural heritage (White-American-Female aged 50+):

"does ANYONE know where the frog jumping contest is?"
(from the girl who grew up in *westchester*)

"if you used a towel and put on a shirt, you'd be a lot warmer." (while eyeing the freshly showered, pajama bottom clad, shivering 10 year old boy)

just sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 4,333 times
Default parents say the darndest things

I'm not sure if my quick reply made it.

Stuff like "we don't pet the dog with a fork!". Never thought I would say that.

I set up a blog and made a tiny book about the silly stuff we say.

parents say the darndest things

As a parent, you may find it funny....or at least I hope!
THANKS

Old 10-11-2009, 09:05 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,877 times
To my then 10 month old son:

"Don't lick the cat, please."

Old 10-11-2009, 10:11 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,495 times
My all-time favorite from my mother was: YOU JUST LIE AWAKE AT NIGHT TRYING TO THINK OF WAYS TO P*SS ME OFF!!

I was about 14 when she laid that one on me. As I recall, I was in a stage of my life where I wanted to wear her clothes. She'd bought a new sweater/top and had FORBIDDEN me to wear it. Of course...I wore it. Then I spilled cherry icee down the front (it was white). Then I decided to "fix" it by bleaching the stain (the sweater had rainbow-colored trim/pipping along the collar and cuffs, which also got bleached in the process of my "fixing it"). So I totally ruined her sweater and got caught disobeying her direct order, and Mom was about to burst with rage and frustration as she grabbed me by the shoulders and got in my face and delivered The Line That Shall Live in Infamy. (cue dramatic echo)

I was so dumbstruck (and offended!) by the outrageousness of this accusation -- seriously, I might have been a thoughtless kid, but I certaintly didn't premeditate ways to anger her -- that I looked at her and replied, with all the smart-alecky sarcasm of adolescence, "Yeah, I was up all night trying to think of ways to p*ss you off, Mom, and THIS is the best I could come up with." (Like, DUH!)

I have to laugh now to remember her bug-eyed, throbbing-vein reaction. It became this ongoing thing throughout my remaining teenage years. I'd do something spontaneous and stupid and Mom would give me The Look, and I'd roll my eyes and fake yawn....wow...so tired today...up all night last night, you know...trying to think of ways to p*ss you off. How'd I do?

When I was about 19, I did that, and she turned around and glared at me and actually stomped her foot. "Oh! I wish I'd never said that to you!" Ha! No kidding. Be careful what you say to your children. They may torture you with it for the rest of your life. I'm 38 and I STILL pull it out every once in a while as a joke. Aaaah. Revenge is sweet.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:21 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,775,275 times
"No, you can't take the fish out of his tank to pet him, honey." Said to my 4 yo daughter about 2 weeks ago.

So far, she's listened!

Old 10-12-2009, 07:31 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
"Stop licking that door!"

My ds was 2 when I had to use that one. Then my dh & I made eye contact and burst out laughing!

I don't know if it qualifies as "Things I never thought I'd say"... more like "Things I wouldn't have believed myself capable of saying before I gave birth"

Old 10-12-2009, 09:10 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
1. "If everyone else jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?" Comparing wearing a hat backwards (or whatever) to a lemming-like, mass suicide is pretty silly.
2. "You think you're pretty smart, don't you?" Yes, yes I do. Thanks for noticing
3. "How many times do I have to tell you..." Obviously, at least once more.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:25 AM

705 posts, read 1,759,236 times
Son #1 had a knight costume used for dressup, had a sword.

"If you EVER draw that sword in anger again, I'll have to take it away!"

How is that for 21st century parenting?!??!?

Old 10-12-2009, 03:02 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
WE had a list of things that we never thought that we dwould say until we had children. I will have to look to see if we can find it. The ones that i remember are:

"Stop kissing the goats butt"

"Do NOT lick your brother"

"Batteries do nto go in your nose!"

"Yes honey, we should never eat fireworks" (during a 4th of July display)

"Only one person riding the dog at a time, three is too many"

Old 10-12-2009, 05:55 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,543,680 times
On a road trip, and we had plenty when I was a kid.

Child: "I have to go to the bathroom!"

Parent: "Why didn't you go when we left the house?"

Maybe because he/she didn't have to go back then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting