U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-14-2012, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Wherever life takes me.
5,944 posts, read 6,384,932 times
Reputation: 3018

Advertisements

Why not a whole new state?
You said you can live pretty much anywhere you want, right?

Why not try Texas?
I was in texas public schools, very new, very nice depending on the area, LOTS to do, HUGE parks, tons of HUGE outdoor pools, tons and tons of stuff. Housing is VERY cheap in Texas, you can get a hugeeeeeee house for like 200K to 300K. Friendly people, I moved there for 6th and 7th grade and that is an awkward age and I made friends fast. It was such a nice place.

Or Colorado?
The schools here are nice, my district was rated top something when I moved here or are required to get more credits than most schools to graduate. The area is beautiful, you have the mountains, the parks, TONS to do.

I LOVED Oregon when I visited..
The area I went to was beautiful, there was lots to do lots to see, new neighborhoods.

Uhm I am trying to think of other areas I really liked...

Florida, I loved.
That's pretty much it. I have been to over 25 states so far and those were the most memorable and my favorites. I was in the school districts for all of them but Florida and Oregon but I do know the areas were nice, friendly and seemed to have PLENTY to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-14-2012, 08:12 PM
 
32,538 posts, read 29,351,992 times
Reputation: 32238
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Why not a whole new state?

That's pretty much it. I have been to over 25 states so far and those were the most memorable and my favorites. I was in the school districts for all of them but Florida and Oregon but I do know the areas were nice, friendly and seemed to have PLENTY to do.
Neither the particulars of your educational odyssey nor the list of states you have visited is particularly pertinent to anything under discussion in this particular thread.

Perhaps you would like to voice your opinions on the availability of a so-called classical education in the city of Atlanta vs. the city of Minneapolis? Any thoughts on the merits of Latin classes for elementary school students when applied to the study of English as an Indo-European language?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 09:21 PM
 
4,044 posts, read 5,948,952 times
Reputation: 3819
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Any thoughts on the merits of Latin classes for elementary school students when applied to the study of English as an Indo-European language?
http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/Latin-Math.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2012, 09:09 AM
 
32,538 posts, read 29,351,992 times
Reputation: 32238
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Fascinating. Thanks for posting that. The language geek in me is doing a happy dance.

I'd be interested to know if you find an elementary school that teaches Latin. I know of Catholic high schools that teach it but none of the elementary schools I was familiar with did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2012, 05:21 PM
 
335 posts, read 813,793 times
Reputation: 340
Stability in a home and friendships are most important in addition to a very good (as opposed to excellent) education. I don't know how old your kids are, but I recommend you live in the same home while they're K-high school graduation. Maybe I value stability because my childhood and my child's childhood were stable, so I feel it's the best lifestyle. I remember students/neighbor kids who would come through for a few years and move, and they always seemed lost and insecure.

Very few schools provide excellent educations K-high school. A review of test scores shows schools' ratings decrease while grades increase (Ks have more top-rated schools than high schools).

Generally, the top-rated schools are in the most expensive part of town. Those who are sufficiently successful to purchase expensive homes expect excellent educations for their kids, and most stay until all their kids have graduated high school, resulting in stable schools and neighborhoods.

Live in an area with the best schools and stay there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 10:20 AM
 
4,044 posts, read 5,948,952 times
Reputation: 3819
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Fascinating. Thanks for posting that. The language geek in me is doing a happy dance.

I'd be interested to know if you find an elementary school that teaches Latin. I know of Catholic high schools that teach it but none of the elementary schools I was familiar with did.
I haven't found one yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 10:21 AM
 
4,044 posts, read 5,948,952 times
Reputation: 3819
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW transplant View Post
Stability in a home and friendships are most important in addition to a very good (as opposed to excellent) education. I don't know how old your kids are, but I recommend you live in the same home while they're K-high school graduation. Maybe I value stability because my childhood and my child's childhood were stable, so I feel it's the best lifestyle. I remember students/neighbor kids who would come through for a few years and move, and they always seemed lost and insecure.

Very few schools provide excellent educations K-high school. A review of test scores shows schools' ratings decrease while grades increase (Ks have more top-rated schools than high schools).

Generally, the top-rated schools are in the most expensive part of town. Those who are sufficiently successful to purchase expensive homes expect excellent educations for their kids, and most stay until all their kids have graduated high school, resulting in stable schools and neighborhoods.

Live in an area with the best schools and stay there.
A huge nod to the post above.
Stability is a severely under-appreciated value nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Liberal Coast
4,271 posts, read 4,987,673 times
Reputation: 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Fascinating. Thanks for posting that. The language geek in me is doing a happy dance.

I'd be interested to know if you find an elementary school that teaches Latin. I know of Catholic high schools that teach it but none of the elementary schools I was familiar with did.
From my research, in order to find a Catholic elementary school that teaches Latin one would have to find an independent Catholic school. Those are Catholic schools which are not connected to the diocese/archdiocese. They are harder to find, usually more expensive, usually more traditional, and usually use the classical approach to education. If Latin is that important to a parent, he can get a Latin homeschool curriculum and use it after school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top