Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 08:54 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,302,463 times

Advertisements

If they can afford them - whatever... but there is such a thing as natural family planning they can practice... if they do not want to use contraception for religious reasons or whatever.

If I were a kid in that family though - I would be leaving as soon as I turned legal age so I could not have to be a built in babysitter. And every person I grew up with (grew up Catholic in parochial schools, that had some huge families in those days) that grew up in a large family - did NOT want a big family themselves... so I am guessing the children will have normal sized families. again... this all discussed to death...

Old 02-14-2012, 09:02 PM

403 posts, read 864,882 times
On average 25% of pregnancies end in miscarriage. At 20weeks they are considered stiL born not miscarriage. Common to have a service. So, if 25% of pregnancies end in miscarriage should those women listen to their bodies & not have anymore? Even if their first pregnany & they are young & healthy? This family is self suffcient, the kids seem crazy happy & well adjusted. So what's wrong with that? How many times have your kids volunteered for things in various countries & communities that these kids have? How many of your kids are as responsible & self sufficient by late teens?

Old 02-14-2012, 09:05 PM

4,043 posts, read 7,415,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
Exactly we all have opinions..no need to get nasty or angry about it...now is there? we can be civil
Did I? I didn't say a thing.
Not that I didn't want to. But you should at least appreciate my restraint.
Now this, I can't help addressing this:

Quote:
..they aren't harming anyone
Wrong.

Would you still think the same way if everyone on this Planet claimed their right to have however many they wished as long as they could "afford" it?
Then nobody would afford a thing anymore because we would all be in Hell.

Last edited by syracusa; 02-14-2012 at 09:15 PM..

Old 02-14-2012, 09:14 PM

4,043 posts, read 7,415,537 times
Quote:
Says who? People born in the past 40 years? My grandparents generation it was quite common...some decided to enjoy each gift nature gives them...
Population early 20th century: 2.3 billion or so.
Population early 21st century: 7 billion.

SERIOUSLY???

What's the number at which you think it might get a little stuffy in here?

Old 02-15-2012, 04:56 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
This is sad. Michelle, your body is trying to tell you something...time to close the hatch.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Says who? People born in the past 40 years? My grandparents generation it was quite common...some decided to enjoy each gift nature gives them...
I'm sorry but in your grandparents generation it was not quite common to push out tons of kids. In 1900 the average family had 3.5 children, and even 100 years before that it was only at 7. So i don't get where you think that women producing litters was normal

Old 02-15-2012, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
I don't see why the rhythm method would be unacceptable. My great-grandmother had 16 children. They all lived until adulthood except for twins who died a few days after birth due to problems that could have been taken care of today.

After #15 she was desperate not to have any more kids. The rhythm method was well known at the time. This was during the depression and they all lived in a tiny cold-water flat in NYC. She was Roman Catholic and birth control was forbidden.

A friend told her that if she continued to breast feed it would be difficult for her to get pregnant. So she breastfed my Aunt Flo until she was 4. At that point she was 45 so getting pregnant would probably have been unlikely. Not sure if it was the breastfeeding or God answering her prayers, but she always recommended the breastfeeding fix to her Catholic friends after that.
The rhythm method however often fails because it assumes the bodies clock is always the same. A better method would be FAM, and you are correct breastfeeding does inhibit pregnancy.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
My husband, who is just 34 btw, has 16 aunt and uncles. Large families are a lot more common, and normal, than many people here think
Not really, because if you take out the hispanic immigration to this country americans born in this country have children below replacement levels. Even with them added in it only hits 2.1. So big families do happen but they are far from the norm. Once the immigration slows down we will be in the same predicament as europe is.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I would certainly NOT want to have a family this large, but I don't see anything wrong with a married couple who is financially stable choosing to have a large family. They seem like very loving and appropriate parents who are raising solid citizens.

Unfortunately not all pregnancies are successful and carry to term - young mothers and older mothers miscarry. I don't think we can assume that it is her body telling her to stop.

Again, this wouldn't be my personal choice but they do seem like very caring people who take their parenting job very seriously.
They really don't parent per say and delegate the roles to their children.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:11 AM

15,701 posts, read 16,977,100 times
She will keep getting pregnant until it kills her or until she has several severly handicapped children.....and then they will be forced to go on the public dole to care for them.

Disgusting and selfish, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting