Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 10:57 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times

Advertisements

Why do doctors fire patients?

Exhibit A:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Where did folks get the idea that a doctor is your superiour anyway? One of my kids were in the hospital - a doctor...started to power trip on her.. because she did not follow his directions without question - We tracked the guy down in the hall - and WE FIRED the creep - He was threatening to do a surgery on the daughter because she was non-compliant....Years later I ran into this kid that was sick---and I mentioned to him that we fired a bad doctor...the young man said "You can fire a doctor?" - I was taken back by the fact that this modern kid actually thought that doctors can control you as if they were law enforcers - they are not - they are servants.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:58 AM

869 posts, read 1,493,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Why do doctors fire patients?

Exhibit A:
Not really sure what you are trying to say here

Old 02-16-2012, 11:01 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I dislike using "fire" when referring to people who are not employees. A doctor is not an employee, nor is a patient. I stopped going to Jewel, a grocery store around here--did I "fire" the grocery store?

Any situation where the patient does not respect the doctor's expertise and opinion is probably a bad one for everyone involved. That doesn't mean that you have to do whatever your doctor says, but if you dislike your doctor and regard him or her as a servant who doesn't really know anything you don't know, it seems to be the best for both sides to part ways.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:01 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
adult chicken pox is an issue. I have had the vaccine, when i was 16 because my dr said it was dangerous at that point in my life. He also told me that as a child chicken pox would not have been a big deal. That was from a dr. Not a random person on the street
Is this where I mention that I had chicken-pox as a child (pre-vaccine, 1960's) and I was sicker than a dog? I also still have scars. One is on my face as a constant reminder of that perfectly awful week.

I was about 6 and I still remember it. That's how horrendously ill I was.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
adult chicken pox is an issue. I have had the vaccine, when i was 16 because my dr said it was dangerous at that point in my life. He also told me that as a child chicken pox would not have been a big deal. That was from a dr. Not a random person on the street
Chicken pox is usually not dangerous. That is not to say it does not have some possible serious complications.

Chickenpox - PubMed Health

Quote:
Complications:

Rarely, serious bacteria infections such as encephalitis have occured. Other complications may include:
  • Reye's syndrome
  • Myocarditis
  • Pneumonia
  • Transient arthritis
Cerebellar ataxia may appear during the recovery phase or later. This involves a very unsteady walk.

Women who get chickenpox during pregnancy can pass the infection to the developing baby. Newborns are at risk for severe infection.
I once took care of an 18 month-old who had chicken pox, he got lesions on his corneas, and in his airway. He ended up losing both eyes, and had a permanent tracheostomy.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Is this where I mention that I had chicken-pox as a child (pre-vaccine, 1960's) and I was sicker than a dog? I also still have scars. One is on my face as a constant reminder of that perfectly awful week.
Yes, the scars are horrible. I had chicken pox when I was 12 (on my birthday ), and also still have quite a few scars.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:11 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Had it at 15 (my 8-year-old sister brought it home from school). I still have several scars, including one on my face. It took about 15 years to fade but is still a hotspot for adult acne because my pores are scarred over there. If I get a blackhead there, it's a painful lump that lasts for weeks. Stupid scar!

Old 02-16-2012, 11:12 AM

of course chicken pox is dangerous. Its a disease. But leaving the house is dangerous too. Flying in an airplane is dangerous to. But we cant all be agoraphobic can we?

Thats ridiculous right? ^ but people die in car crashes and airplanes crash but we have stopped doing that have we? Pointing out the dangers is absolutely necessary and people who dont vaccinate generally are well informed about the risks of either choice. If i didnt vaccinate and my child died (or was permanently disabled) i would never forgive myself. If I vaccinated and my child died (or was permanently disabled) I would never forgive myself. Being a parent and making the right choice isnt always an easy choice. Being a parent isnt easy and shouldnt be. But essentially telling a parent who has made a well thought out informed decision for their child you dont agree is acceptable, telling them they are going to kill their child and every child they come in contact with is unacceptable.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:13 AM

I have a chicken pox scar from when I was vaccinated! Its on my leg and is a perfect circle from one pock i got.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:14 AM

37,099 posts, read 41,226,282 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Well, all my kids have their normal child hood vaccines Dew, so obviously not ant-vaccine. But, I am pro choice in all areas. I don't agree with getting parent's who don't to do it, nor make them feel like crap for not because I don't feel qualified to judge and it would take years of study to prove they are wrong. It's personal I believe, parents for the most part aren't stupid for not vaccinating in my opinion.
They may not be stupid, but they are misguided and truly ignorant about vaccines. They base the decision not to vaccinate on anecdotes and unsubstantiated claims of serious adverse effects of vaccines that just do not really exist.

Quote:
Pharm. companies do make money, they are in business to make money. We don't have socialized medicine. So, yes, I think in cases like the latest where they aren't producing enough cancer meds and kids can die without it if they have leukemia, and the like, it sickens me a bit to think that their decisions were based on money. I would like an alternative and will vote for one accordingly. But different thread i wasn't allowed to post.
If you are referring to the shortage of methotrexate, that is because there were major safety issues with the plant that produced a large portion of the form of the drug used intravenously. Other plants are increasing production to try to help out. What makes you think this was due to a decision based on money?

Quote:
I don't have any conspiracy and I do think that doctors have the right to refuse patients of any kind but, I wouldn't go to a doctor who did because I think it's a bad choice and wouldn't want a doctor that makes bad choices.
So it's OK for you to refuse to see a doctor that you think makes bad choices, but it's not OK for a doctor to refuse to see a patient that he thinks makes bad choices?

Quote:
I see you guys trying to make mountains out of molehills. You jump on topics like this because you agree (bandwagoning) with getting vaccinated and think people who don't are idiots. But, I don't, I don't think either side of the coin is right or wrong. It's just a choice. I respect others choices. That is the difference.
What the doctors are saying is that it is not OK to make bad choices based on bad information. They do not want the responsibility for dealing with a bad outcome due to the bad choice. That includes other patients getting seriously ill or dying because a parent chose not to vaccinate.

Quote:
This doctor made a choice, I agree he should have the choice but I also agree that the parents who choose not to should have that choice. I think a doctor that doesn't think that choice is important is stupid to me and he would loose me as a patient if he fired patients for not vaccinating. That is all it is, no conspiracy here, quite the opposite. Just a good ol' American belief in choice. Without choice we are in more danger to me, there are a lot of things that we do that others wouldn't agree with. Not just vaccinating. I'd have to agree to ALL of it if I agreed to one. I don't want to.
Th pediatrician that took care of my kids when they were growing up (and his pediatrician wife) do not accept patients who are not vaccinated. They are two of the most intelligent people that I know. They are definitely not stupid. Choice is OK if there is more than one valid option. To refuse vaccines because you still have the firm and fixed delusion that they cause autism (which is still the most common reason not to vaccinate) is not making a valid choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting