Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 11:46 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Most of the families I know who don't vaccinate choose a doctor because that doctor will agree to sign the school waivers that they need. I live in a big city, it's not at all difficult for the people I know to find a doctor who agrees with them. In a smaller city with fewer doctors, it might be more difficult.

People who don't vaccinate are relying on the fact that the rest of us do vaccinate to keep their kids safe. I lost a couple of friends because I wouldn't let them bring their children over until my baby had her vaccinations. I didn't worry as much about the waiting room because our pediatrician schedules appointments so well that there's almost never anyone else in the waiting room at the same time.
In large urban areas it's easy to find a doctor that will do *anything* as long as you have the cash. It often has little to do with the doc agreeing with them, and these are the same types of docs that make a lot of money for giving out xanax, vicodin and other perscriptions more willingly than others.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:12 PM

523 posts, read 3,804,418 times
to the OP's question as to whether this is "right" or not...

its certainly a tricky one. i can totally understand the sentiment of implementing a rule that refusal to vaccinate means rejection from the doctor's practice as an incentive to vaccinate, knowing the benefit that it will bring not only to the individual, but to the population as a whole. however the difficulty comes when it doesn't work, and people choose to walk away from medical care.

it does seem harsh to penalise a child, with potential negative implications for other areas of their healthcare, because of a foolish or misinformed decision on behalf of the parent relating to vaccines.

sure, currently they can go and find another doctor. but what if ALL doctors instigated this rule?

much as i support vaccination on a population level, this just doesn't sit well with me.

people constantly make choices which can have adverse consequences for their health - smoking, eating too much, not exercising, and on and on it goes - do we turn these people away for making choices (ok, lets not get into a debate about the "choice" involved in addiction - you get my point) which are not healthy for them, or others?

Old 02-15-2012, 12:43 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,870,931 times
Looks like we have some overly sensitive folks here. My comment about docs and third world med schools was simply to make the point that a good percentage of doctors are not very bright and one should verify everything a doctor recommends via research and second opinions.
Unless, of course, you are a lemming.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:57 PM

869 posts, read 1,493,671 times
Poppyseed jokes, and kronenborg actually makes good points and I think the whole point here is drs potentially are more and more making decisions that make their job easier. Which leaves the hard patients where? Healthcare in general seems to be going the way of "you will do what i say or i wont treat you" obviously take two aspirin and call me in the morning isnt a particularly difficult thing to follow unless of course like me you get pains in the stomach from it, so you tell your dr that the course of action wont work for you. Do they then tell you an alternative or turn you away for not following drs orders? maybe he will tell you to take the meds anyway but also take this other medication to counteract the side effects of the original medication. Its all gotten beyond ridiculous if you ask me.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:59 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,596,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Looks like we have some overly sensitive folks here. My comment about docs and third world med schools was simply to make the point that a good percentage of doctors are not very bright and one should verify everything a doctor recommends via research and second opinions.
Unless, of course, you are a lemming.
I agree, sorry, this whole thread wreaks of over sensitivity to me. It wasn't personal.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:02 PM

Things always get sensitive and personal when people are openly insulting the parental decisions of another person. No matter which side you are one. Particularly about vaccines. It needs to be added to the list of things one doesnt discuss in polite conversation, politics, religion and vaccines.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:03 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,404 times
Should a doctor have the right to fire a patient who continues to smoke three packs of cigarettes a day?

Old 02-15-2012, 01:05 PM

Of course! A doctor can decide to treat or not treat whoever they want. But someone has to treat the smoker, the obese one, the unvaccinated one. And honestly smoking kills you. It just does. Not being vaccinated doesnt. A disease can but declining on a vaccine doesnt not have a direct correlation to death

Old 02-15-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
Poppyseed jokes, and kronenborg actually makes good points and I think the whole point here is drs potentially are more and more making decisions that make their job easier. Which leaves the hard patients where? Healthcare in general seems to be going the way of "you will do what i say or i wont treat you" obviously take two aspirin and call me in the morning isnt a particularly difficult thing to follow unless of course like me you get pains in the stomach from it, so you tell your dr that the course of action wont work for you. Do they then tell you an alternative or turn you away for not following drs orders? maybe he will tell you to take the meds anyway but also take this other medication to counteract the side effects of the original medication. Its all gotten beyond ridiculous if you ask me.
Totally agree. The reason we make logical decisions is because the un-logical ones tend to spiral with the help of extremist, in this case, extremist doctors that choose patients depending on belief and or money and ease. It could and will I'm sure go to places we logically don't expect. "If Tommy can chew gum in class then.........." If you get my drift. We, as a whole, including the people who vaccinate for every thing they have a vaccine for have habits their doctor could potentially stop treating them because of advice on deaf ears, la de da and so forth.
Yes, the doctor can do what he wants, No on if it makes a good doctor for doing so. It just makes headlines, that's all.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
Should a doctor have the right to fire a patient who continues to smoke three packs of cigarettes a day?
Fair is fair, right? And on and on it goes. What about fatty, what about fast food dude, what about couch potato, what about pain med patty.............................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting