U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 11:32 AM

410 posts, read 1,323,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Sounds like it might be time to go above the principal's head to the superintendent or the school board.
The superintendent and the school board oversee the general needs of the district and leave the individual schools to decide what is best for them. We had a problem in Kindergarten and found that out.

I'm just trying to find work in another state so we can get the heck out of here. Have money to go....no work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 11:36 AM

443 posts, read 744,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
The superintendent and the school board oversee the general needs of the district and leave the individual schools to decide what is best for them. We had a problem in Kindergarten and found that out.

I'm just trying to find work in another state so we can get the heck out of here. Have money to go....no work
could you maybe have your child(ren) attend school in a different district?

Old 02-16-2012, 01:11 PM

1,820 posts, read 3,900,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
With second grade children, I'm not sure why the principal and teachers aren't taking a firm stand. These aren't hardened criminals, they're babies! They aren't a real threat...yet. But they will be very soon if someone doesn't step in and tell them that that behavior will not be tolerated, and since quite obviously their parents aren't going to be the ones, the school needs to do something, and NOW.

If the principal doesn't act, then go to the school board, the superintendent, whoever you have to go to to make sure your child is in a safe environment. If it doesn't happen, then it's time to start looking for a different school or other options. Easier said than done, I know, but having a 7 year old gangbanger in training is not what you want either.

Good luck.
Wow! I completely agree. Why aren't the teachers & Administrators doing something and doing something NOW?! This isn't just kids being kids, this is serious.
I have a 1st grader, they have recess with the 2nd graders and these kinds of things are not issues.

You need to go to the principal and if that doesn't work, you go to the school district.

I am sorry you at facing this, how scary......

Old 02-16-2012, 01:12 PM

20,793 posts, read 52,410,927 times
I wouldn't have even taken the time to post this on a message board, I would have been calling real estate agents and MOVING

Old 02-17-2012, 05:58 AM

706 posts, read 1,477,792 times
Quote:

Do you have a class roster? Surely other parents are concerned. Get the parents calling for action, that way it isn't just you. What is the written district policy regarding gangs? Are they following their own rules regarding in school suspension, etc? I know these are babies, but this is time for a no tolerance policy.

Next, if you don't get results from that, contact the super and the school board even if you think you know how they will react. Find out the public part of the next school board meeting, plan to speak during the appropriate time, and invite the media to attend after explaining the problem to them. Make a BIG PUBLIC STINK. Get the media to interview the cops, then the superintendent, school board and principal.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:44 AM

410 posts, read 1,323,754 times
Here's what the elementary school handbook has to say about anything gang related (from various entries in handbook):

You MAY be removed from school for:gang-related attire or activity that is dangerous and disruptive. (So I guess as long as it is NOT dangerous or disruptive they can act like a gang at school)

When appropriate, a student may be placed on a behavior contract. (all the boys involved are already on a contract and have been since Kindergarten)

Profanity and the use of obscene gestures are inappropriate, whether directed toward the staff or other students. Students who fail to observe these rules will be subject to disciplinary action. (they get sent to the "time-out" square at recess)

Concerns should be brought to the attention of school personnel beginning with your child’s teacher. (her response to the gang presence was a 10 minute talk about why we don't join gangs)

My personal favorite (exactly as posted in handbook):
Absolutely nothing will be allowed at school that is intended, recognized, or acknowledged by the Metro Gang Task Force, to signify affiliation with, participation in, or approval of a gang.

If they violate this one...they get a behavior slip...LOL. Not to mention it is a uniform school. It now allows "University" t-shirts/sweatshirts to be worn on Thursdays. Um...unless I am mistaken many college shirts are used to identify gang affiliation (as well as pro sports teams)

Old 02-17-2012, 09:26 AM

9,056 posts, read 6,729,393 times
Quote:
Here's what the elementary school handbook has to say about anything gang related (from various entries in handbook):

You MAY be removed from school for:gang-related attire or activity that is dangerous and disruptive. (So I guess as long as it is NOT dangerous or disruptive they can act like a gang at school)

When appropriate, a student may be placed on a behavior contract. (all the boys involved are already on a contract and have been since Kindergarten)

Profanity and the use of obscene gestures are inappropriate, whether directed toward the staff or other students. Students who fail to observe these rules will be subject to disciplinary action. (they get sent to the "time-out" square at recess)

Concerns should be brought to the attention of school personnel beginning with your child’s teacher. (her response to the gang presence was a 10 minute talk about why we don't join gangs)

My personal favorite (exactly as posted in handbook):
Absolutely nothing will be allowed at school that is intended, recognized, or acknowledged by the Metro Gang Task Force, to signify affiliation with, participation in, or approval of a gang.

If they violate this one...they get a behavior slip...LOL. Not to mention it is a uniform school. It now allows "University" t-shirts/sweatshirts to be worn on Thursdays. Um...unless I am mistaken many college shirts are used to identify gang affiliation (as well as pro sports teams)
That's totally and utterly terrifying. If this is their response, you have to get your kid out of there and as far away as possible. You can get work after you've moved.

I wouldn't even play with this. Your kid is in danger of adopting the gang mindset, which you may never entirely be able to erase, IMO. You've got to get him out of there immediately.

Move. Now.

(I'm really really sorry this has happened to you, your poor thing. But you've got to take action. Nobody else is taking this seriously.)

Old 02-18-2012, 01:07 AM

16,785 posts, read 19,654,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
I had no idea there were gangs in Salt Lake City.
Shocking isn't it? This is what happens we don't secure our borders.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:15 AM

8,649 posts, read 14,879,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
That too is a problem but what about these?

Gangs in Salt Lake County are primarily influenced by two areas of the country: Los Angeles and Chicago. The Salt Lake metropolitan area could be referred to as a "Secondary Gang City" because it has the same affiliations as these influential gang cities,

local_gangs

Old 02-18-2012, 09:07 AM

24,472 posts, read 28,756,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
No it is not shocking. SLC is like any other big city. They all have gang problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting