U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:32 AM

15,844 posts, read 18,508,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
i noticed a lot of changes in several of the kids in my son's class since the start of the school year and now i know why.

A student admitted yesterday that he, his brother, and his father were in the south side gang. He has taught all the boys in the class the hand sign, the tag, what their "weapon of choice" is as well as some very colorful language.

My son doesn't swear in the home anymore (except for the words he is "allowed" to say") but can't understand why its not right to make the hand signs to his friends. He also was never taught about guns at home but knows how to draw an ak-47 and a 38 with great detail. I told him if he wants to learn how to shoot he has to wait till 12 and then i will take him to a shooting range where he can learn how to shoot a rifle.

His teacher had a 10 minute lesson on "why we don't join gangs" but that will not do any good. I talked to the gang task force and they do in school talks and are going to set one up for his class but he warned me not to tell my son because even at 7 and 8 years old these kids in this gang hurt other kids they think are snitches. Gangs do not belong in schools.

Any advice on how to get through to my son to leave these boys alone. They are not his friends no matter what they tell him. He has a big heart and is quite gullible.
move!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 01:06 PM

24 posts, read 22,985 times
Acceptance is hard at that age. Why not beat the **** out of the kid that threw a gang sign that early in second grade so he builds up resentment later on in life for not being accepted. So then when he gets labeled a trouble maker in class I'm sure the other students won't gang up on him or label him an outcast. Do you maybe think this is all made up. Another thing. Think of things on how to teach about how to claim responsibility. So when your second grader turns 18 and decides to go out with friends, he doesn't just sit in the passenger seat and let someone whos drunk do the driving. All I'm saying is maybe you could help the kid find his talent, maybe point him in the right direction. I hate gangs, I have all my life. But with so much delusional thinking out there and so much garbage portrayed in the media. Its hard to attribute the cause to one kid. Its hard for me to believe any parent would want their kids to throw gang signs even if they were in a gang. If the whole thing is that much of a mess here then I totally don't understand it.

Last edited by paranoid; 02-18-2012 at 01:32 PM..

Old 02-18-2012, 01:32 PM

9,560 posts, read 13,393,323 times
Moving or changing schools might work, or you could simply find yourself in a new place with the same problem. It's a growing problem.

Schools can only do so much on a practical level, they can't really be everywhere all the time watching all the things that might be going on. And while it's easy enough to say the principal should do something, what is it you expect done? A face to face with the parents, who are known gang members, to talk about their childrens behavior? I would not count on a lot of help from the school.

I think that your best bet is to take steps at home.Maybe some role playing to help him understand how to best respond when the gang wannabes approach him?
Involve your child with new friends, new activities that don't revolve around school. Scouting, music classes, recreational sport teams? Things that will help give him some confidence, make him feel accepted as part of some other group, so that he's not looking to the gang kiddies in order to belong somewhere.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:23 PM

That poor poor kid hasn't a chance, for his Dad to be locked up in some prison. His parents wouldn't want this kid to end up behind bars. He's in 2nd grade, he has his whole life ahead of him. Nobody should be teaching kids gang signs period.

Last edited by paranoid; 02-18-2012 at 02:37 PM..

Old 02-18-2012, 06:38 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,793,344 times
Quickest way to die ! ! !

Old 02-18-2012, 06:49 PM

5,106 posts, read 6,084,524 times
In my opinion you don't reason with a child that age. If this is true, you are the parent do what you must. Including another school.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:08 PM

I know nothing about whats going on because i don't know you. I don't need you to tell me. But what I'm wondering is. Do you live in rose park? if yes then move. If your white don't worry. If your brown then I would worry if this is the same south side your talking about, because then they would have a desire for him to be recruited. Southside that I know isn't ever going to have whites in it. And know you can just forget the name of it. No need to go around with this label. Why put yourself against them. Yes its a forum but someone might here oh? southside and then before you know you got all kinds of people involved and give them a reason to have something against you. Why give it to them. You can control where your kid goes and have someone like an older brother look out for him walking home. Maybe someone you trust to walk with him. Look out for him if your busy at work. In the classroom and at the school during recess and that it will be very safe. Maybe for him to adapt to people will teach him not to be so intimidated by them. After they get older, maybe the southside kid is just mouthing off. Trust me as they get older. They may never see each other again or even remember. But I promise you that the southside kids will start to seperate more and more from other people. If its as serious as it is. They won't talk to him. Thats if your white because I'm white. If your brown I can't really give any advice on that.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:23 PM

the thing that hurts me the most is I have some relatives that are half white and half mexican. They aren't bangers, but they lived in a tougher city than salt lake. The whites did the same thing to them. Of course they weren't claiming anything. There Dad was a cop. They were never accepted by white people, and so were accepted by browns. They are my family so I can speak for them. Sometimes the problem I see with gangs is that sure adults who do it are convicts. The childeren who are raised in this secrecy are too scared to even speak up. But like minded people will group together. For browns this is a brotherhood. See where I lived you had other gangs so everyone had a respect. Especially with their kids involved. Got to find peace in knowing there will always be gangs going around, don't mess with them they won't mess with you. But until later I think kids are only trying to make friends right now. You know what I'm thinking is you probably got this kid saying southside so scared that maybe he will want to move. You'll never see them again.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:49 PM

but don't give these kids a reason to have something personal. Because when his dad finds out hes been talking about it to the class. What happens to the kid then. This will give them a reason to resent you. You never know. I wouldn't worry. Because what I learned is exposure helps a little when they get older. It's tough, 2nd grade not, but in junior high they need to learn to handle things on their own. By the time they mature into highschool things will be more mature and get them focused on taking some AP classes.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:59 PM

In my school when gang fights broke out it never concerned other people. And some of these guys the teachers couldn't even break up. Things would happen in the parking lot. But I would just walk by. All the way home. I would see bangers never do nothing to me. I never saw them again, and I don't even remember names, faces, or had a clue what it was about. My nephew ever sees a gang sign I think I will know exactly what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting