Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:44 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,967,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
A while back in one of those extended families living in one home one of the kids started running with a gang. That brought an opposing gang to come to do a drive by shooting. The kid's uncle happened to look out the window to see what was going on and got shot in the face.

The drive-by shootings alone can get younger kids, and other family member killed just sitting in their house watching television or sleeping.

Whatever it takes to get a kid far from the gang recruiting him is what one must do.
Exactly...
Its not running...its you dont ****ing confront gang members.
They will beat the **** out of you and your kid.
If they feel necessary theyll kill you.
They have no sympathy, no remorse, no conscious....they kill people just as easy as we make daily decisions, no thought. If they feel like you are interfering with their turf, their recruting, their gang.....theyll get rid of you. They dont care if youre someones wife, daughter, son, best friend...they dont give a ****....theyll end you.

Please no one here ever confront a gang member.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 10:39 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,932,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Exactly...
Its not running...its you dont ****ing confront gang members.
They will beat the **** out of you and your kid.
If they feel necessary theyll kill you.
They have no sympathy, no remorse, no conscious....they kill people just as easy as we make daily decisions, no thought. If they feel like you are interfering with their turf, their recruting, their gang.....theyll get rid of you. They dont care if youre someones wife, daughter, son, best friend...they dont give a ****....theyll end you.

Please no one here ever confront a gang member.
But the topic is young elementary school children. I agree with you that a parent would be foolish to approach the gang, but is the alternative to allow this to continue in a school setting?

The OP must use the resources available if moving isn't an easy option. That means the school board, the superintendent, and yes, the media.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
But the topic is young elementary school children. I agree with you that a parent would be foolish to approach the gang, but is the alternative to allow this to continue in a school setting?

The OP must use the resources available if moving isn't an easy option. That means the school board, the superintendent, and yes, the media.
Do you think the gangs care if its an 8 year old boy?
Hell no. Do you know how many CHILDREN are killed due to gang related violence, a lot.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:11 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,932,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Do you think the gangs care if its an 8 year old boy?
Hell no. Do you know how many CHILDREN are killed due to gang related violence, a lot.
I'm not disagreeing with you. But, again, do we want to turn our public schools over to gangs, or do we want to confront the issue and deal with it?

A little publicity regarding the problem would garner lots of support. After all, these are taxpayer supported schools, and for many, the only option. It MUST be dealt with, not by an individual, but by a community.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you. But, again, do we want to turn our public schools over to gangs, or do we want to confront the issue and deal with it?

A little publicity regarding the problem would garner lots of support. After all, these are taxpayer supported schools, and for many, the only option. It MUST be dealt with, not by an individual, but by a community.
Yeah, they'll find the one individual who started it and pop a cap in their ass.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:58 AM

753 posts, read 1,481,547 times
Salt Lake City is a big gang area? Who new?

This whole thing would scare the hell out of me.

You need to get the school and district level administration involved again NOW. This is a seriously dysfunctional school situation (due to seriously dysfunctional families). Their response has been lame and best, negligent at worst.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:15 AM

753 posts, read 1,481,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
Here's the list by the Metro Gang Squad of the ones just in Salt Lake.
http://updsl.org/divisions/metro_gan...0Alliances.pdf
Hmmm...Straight Edge is listed as an Extremist Gang. Straight edge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia My husband (45 year-old church-goer with a white collar job) has always identified very, very strongly with this group. They are not a gang.

Sorry to digress. Those other groups are horrific. I taught a bunch of kids in those gangs in Houston. They have ruined the experience of the city for many people. I'm sorry that it has apparently seeped into SLC as well.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:37 AM

261 posts, read 357,167 times
For those people advocating more school involvement, I don't think you are aware of how limited the schools options are. The teacher deals with these children all day everyday, trust me she wants this to stop more than anyone. But legally they only have so many options. It takes almost an act of God to expel children now.

You need to get your child away from these kids. He is at the age where mom starts looking foolish and friends start looking cool and smart.

You can raise a fuss all you want, the school is not going to fix this problem because they CANNOT. If it were that easy we would never have any gang problems or shootings.

If you go to the school board and start making a fuss then what do you think the gang members are going to hear? They will hear this woman is making a fuss and trying to stop our young recruitment. From what I hear, they don't really tend to turn a blind eye to this.

If it were me I would find a private school, move, or home-school. I don't care if I owned a house and had to find an apartment in the burbs and default on my mortgage, at least my kid would be safe. I'd rather overreact and ruin my credit score than have my child join a gang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting