Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 02:00 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,599 times

Advertisements

I noticed a lot of changes in several of the kids in my son's class since the start of the school year and now I know why.

A student admitted yesterday that he, his brother, and his father were in the South Side gang. He has taught all the boys in the class the hand sign, the tag, what their "weapon of choice" is as well as some very colorful language.

My son doesn't swear in the home anymore (except for the words he is "allowed" to say") but can't understand why its not right to make the hand signs to his friends. He also was never taught about guns at home but knows how to draw an ak-47 and a 38 with great detail. I told him if he wants to learn how to shoot he has to wait till 12 and then I will take him to a shooting range where he can learn how to shoot a rifle.

His teacher had a 10 minute lesson on "why we don't join gangs" but that will not do any good. I talked to the gang task force and they do in school talks and are going to set one up for his class but he warned me NOT to tell my son because even at 7 and 8 years old these kids in this gang hurt other kids they think are snitches. Gangs do not belong in schools.

Any advice on how to get through to my son to leave these boys alone. They are not his friends no matter what they tell him. He has a big heart and is quite gullible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 02:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
I have a 2nd grader and this is completely foreign to me. If this is going on in the 2nd grade, I can only imagine how bad it is by 6th or 7th grade. Is it only one kid that is the problem? Does the school know about all of this?

Old 02-15-2012, 02:12 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I have a 2nd grader and this is completely foreign to me. If this is going on in the 2nd grade, I can only imagine how bad it is by 6th or 7th grade. Is it only one kid that is the problem? Does the school know about all of this?
The school knows...that's why they implemented a uniform policy. He's recruited at least one other kid that I know of. They have a larger problem in junior high (hence the new uniform policy last year). By the time they reach high school they are fully immersed in the gang that no one really tells them not to wear their colors in school. We have gang fights in the local high school daily.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
The school knows...that's why they implemented a uniform policy. He's recruited at least one other kid that I know of. They have a larger problem in junior high (hence the new uniform policy last year). By the time they reach high school they are fully immersed in the gang that no one really tells them not to wear their colors in school. We have gang fights in the local high school daily.
I know enough to know that once you are in, it is nearly impossible to get out. If I thought my son was truly at risk, I might consider changing schools or moving. I don't know. Some might say that is just running away from the problem, not solving it.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:32 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
I have (2) 2nd graders and this is insane!
Can you have your son moved into another class?
I would do whatever it took to get between my 2nd grader and gangs, period. Whatever it takes. The easiest would be a different classroom. I would also suggest to the school that the Gang pushing student be expelled/suspended or something. If that fails, I would look for another school... or another town, state.. whatever it takes.. I would not leave my 2nd grader alone to deal with those situations and simply hope he makes the right decision.. no way.. get in between your child and gangs.. PERIOD at any cost!

Old 02-15-2012, 02:48 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
First choice...enroll him in private school and put him in so many activities he quickly loses contact with any of these "friends".

Second choice...move.

I honestly don't see a way around this if it is such a prevalent issue in your community. You can do your best to keep your son out, but it seems he is already being dragged in.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I have (2) 2nd graders and this is insane!
Can you have your son moved into another class?
I would do whatever it took to get between my 2nd grader and gangs, period. Whatever it takes. The easiest would be a different classroom. I would also suggest to the school that the Gang pushing student be expelled/suspended or something. If that fails, I would look for another school... or another town, state.. whatever it takes.. I would not leave my 2nd grader alone to deal with those situations and simply hope he makes the right decision.. no way.. get in between your child and gangs.. PERIOD at any cost!
I'm glad you said this. I was second guessing my post, but this is what I was thinking - keep him away at all cost.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:57 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
He also was never taught about guns at home but knows how to draw an ak-47 and a 38 with great detail.
Where did he learn about those weapons? Hanging out at his friends' house? Has he seen them? Is he at someone's house where they're showing off 38s and automatic weapons?

If you even THINK he's around those guns long enough to learn what they look like enough to make a detailed drawing why are you letting him anywhere near those kids?

My kid came home and started drawing an AK-47 I'd let him have ZERO contact with his "friends". The safety issue alone is giving me the hives.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:00 PM

164 posts, read 186,527 times
When you take God out of society, what you're implying is that people will not ultimately be held responsible for their actions on earth.

This gives them a free pass to do whatever they want.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:04 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,096 times
This is crazy! 2nd grade recruitment into gangs? If this were happening to my child I would do....

A. Move
B. Change schools
C. Home School
D. Both A & B

I would not feel comfortable sending my child to school when this kind of thing is going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting