U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:04 AM

14,212 posts, read 9,670,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
What would any single parent do?

I don't know. How about grow the heck up?

You have a daughter. You were man enough to get into bed and make a baby, how about manning up and putting that child ahead of your own desire to go out and have a good time?

You've not written one word about what's best for this little girl. Everything has been, "me", "I", "what I want". News flash: Those things come second now and your daughter comes first.

Notice you also didn't write one word about finding a wonderful woman to be a good mother to your daughter? It's all what you want for you. Sorry. That's not how grown-*** men think. You don't need a date. You need to sit and think about what you need to do to become the grown-up father your daughter deserves.
I'd rep you 3000 times if i could

Old 02-16-2012, 02:48 PM

169 posts, read 497,564 times
mitopcat,

You've gotten a lot of good responses - and, yes, you do need to do what is in the best interest of your daughter. That's what good parents do whether they are single or not. But it also sounds like it would be good if you met some other single parents to see how they are coping with raising kids as well as dating and the other challenges of being a single parent. Have you checked out Parents Without Partners? Parents Without Partners -- Home Page
You may also want to see if any meetup groups for single parents are in your area (Find a Meetup Group near you - Meetup). If there isn't one, you can start your own group.

I was a single parent for about 10 years and got married two years ago to a single dad. I'm in my 40s. Dating as a single parent is not easy and there are things that you need to be careful about for you and your daughter's sake, but you can do it. Really, you can date and even get married when you are over 30 - it's not the end of the world. :-)

Something else to think about ... Do you really want a relationship with a woman who thinks it's OK that you left your daughter with her messed up mother? I don't know you, but my guess is that you don't. You probably want a woman in your life who appreciates you *and* your daughter. You can find her, but take your time and be a good dad. You can do both. It will be worth it.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:58 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,330,750 times
This is one of those "Do you hear yourself? Do you hear what you're saying here?" moments...

So the OP is divorced with a 7 year old girl and has sole custody. The thought of her going to live with her mother is "horrible" because of past abuse. But now that a job with travel has become available, the OP is considering sending the girl back to live with her mother so he can flit around the country and meet women?

My jaw literally dropped reading the OP's messages here... Is anyone else picturing the face of a 7 year old girl when told that her stable home life with her father is going away and she's going back to live with an abuser or enabling-abuser?

Old 02-17-2012, 08:23 AM

2,814 posts, read 5,874,496 times
This is such a sad situation. Sounds like neither parent is up to raising her and loving her unconditionally. Is there a wonderful grandparent in the picture who will take her?

Old 02-17-2012, 08:53 AM

25,907 posts, read 35,109,599 times
Temporarily closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting