U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2012, 06:57 PM

8,401 posts, read 9,558,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I am not sure why you think my having an opinion that your points make no sense is the same thing as having a big brawl.

Right. Which I think is a really poor basis for educational decisions including sending your sick kid to school.
Ok, got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 07:13 PM

85,031 posts, read 98,929,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Ok, it could have been, I guess I'm not as smart as I thought. lol
Were there a lot of kids sent sick then? What did your parents say was the reason then? I could be wrong in my assessment of course. I just thought it made sense to most people. I'm gathering it does not.
Sorry, I can't tell you that. I won't see them again on this side of the divide.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:35 PM

24,477 posts, read 28,782,510 times
Quote:
Ok, it could have been, I guess I'm not as smart as I thought. lol
Were there a lot of kids sent sick then? What did your parents say was the reason then? I could be wrong in my assessment of course. I just thought it made sense to most people. I'm gathering it does not.
It can make sense and still not be true. You said school started out as day care. It did not. School did not start in the 1940's, which is the time period you keep referring back to. sorry. I just have trouble following your train of thought.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sorry, I can't tell you that. I won't see them again on this side of the divide.
So sorry. No problem.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It can make sense and still not be true. You said school started out as day care. It did not. School did not start in the 1940's, which is the time period you keep referring back to. sorry. I just have trouble following your train of thought.
LOL, ok, so you thought I meant school started in the 1940's. I see that would be odd. I meant that is when woman started working outside the home more. For me looking back on history that is when woman started to work more. After the war when husbands came home to their jobs some woman actually realized they liked working and continued until present day when a lot of woman now work as well.
I can see where that would sound silly, me saying school didn't start until WW2 in the 40's. lol I understand now. Sorry about that, I'm just still getting use to talking through a box.
I'll try to shorten it up and be more precise, that would probably help.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Yeah, one persons sick is another's allergies. I don't know what to do about that either. I do know my friends that work plan for the summer with programs for working parents or they're kids hang out with their friends that have moms or dads home. I use to watch a boy my sons age all summer while his mom worked. I didn't mind because my son was his friend. She loves the year round school. Easier to find programs for a week here or there for her. They have summer programs for lower income working parents as well.

Don't get me wrong, I do think they should have back up plans and help, I'm just saying a lot of them don't. If their boss is a weenie and they have already missed said number of days they are less likely to stay home another if Johnny has a stuffy nose and no fever or a stomach ache. The ones I know will send them and take the chance that they will make it through.
Every school and day care I've ever been involved with has the same sick policy. all of them have rules for fever, vomiting, and green snot. None of them require the child to stay home for a cold. I wouldn't expect a mom, working or not, to keep a kid home with a cold. No one said that.

Maybe you only meant to say why you think people send sick kids to school, but it certainly came across like you think it is ok because no place will ever be germ free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Just put IMO or IMHO. (In My Opinion or In My Humble Opinion.)

You will find that there are some VERY intelligent and highly educated posters with regards to certain topics on this forum. If you write a post that comes across as you stating a fact, and it's wrong, you'll be asked for a link.

We can be grumpy and opinionated.

The good news is we can also be helpful and supportive.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
LOL, ok, so you thought I meant school started in the 1940's. I see that would be odd. I meant that is when woman started working outside the home more. For me looking back on history that is when woman started to work more. After the war when husbands came home to their jobs some woman actually realized they liked working and continued until present day when a lot of woman now work as well.
I can see where that would sound silly, me saying school didn't start until WW2 in the 40's. lol I understand now. Sorry about that, I'm just still getting use to talking through a box.
I'll try to shorten it up and be more precise, that would probably help.
no, that's not what I thought you meant. I'm pointing out that what you are saying doesn't make sense. I'm saying you made 2 different assertions, at 2 different times that don't match up.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
no, that's not what I thought you meant. I'm pointing out that what you are saying doesn't make sense. I'm saying you made 2 different assertions, at 2 different times that don't match up.
Ok then. I try and calm it down, work it out but if that isn't the case then what can I do.
Yes, I have come to accept that there will be sick kids at school. I've come to relax with the fact that more moms out there have jobs they need. I'm sorry that my assertions don't match up, I tried to change it around a bit so others could get the point I was trying to convey. After so many attempts what can I do? I think you should just skip it actually. Just write me off as stupid and move on. Who cares this much! I don't even care and it's me you're talking about. Everyone can read through and catch your drift. They will either agree or not. What can be done? I just can't do anymore. Not trying to be rude but let's move on already. This is getting irritating.
Let's get back on topic. I'll just stay off this thread, I don't care that bad to continue discussing it. Again, sorry about that.

Last edited by PoppySead; 02-21-2012 at 08:39 PM..

Old 02-21-2012, 09:21 PM

85,031 posts, read 98,929,643 times
Quote:
So sorry. No problem.
It's OK. They lived to "see their children's children".

Old 02-26-2012, 01:26 PM

21,557 posts, read 26,166,023 times
Default If you are concerned about alcohol hand rubs (sanitizers)

You do not need to be.

It has been studied by physicians and epidemiologists.

Using alcohol hand rubs will not increase the number of bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics or that are tolerant of disinfectants.

For those that want the links:

http://www.unc.edu/depts/spice/dis/I...-Oct-p1107.pdf

http://www.unc.edu/depts/spice/dis/D...Resistance.pdf

Potential Impact of Increased Use of Biocides in Consumer Products on Prevalence of Antibiotic Resistance

"While the regular application and use of antimicrobial handwashing products have been noted to bring about a change in skin flora, this has not been associated with fluctuations in resistance. Indeed, these authors concluded that the benefits of topical antibacterials in personal hygiene as well as in infection control far outweighs the risks of increased antibiotic or biocide resistance. Equally, other groups of authors could find no evidence of any increased incidence of antibiotic resistance in home environments and demonstrated the continued effectiveness of traditional biocidal products (Lysol, quaternary ammonium based, and chlorine based)."

By helping to prevent infections, hand rubs may actually lead to the use of fewer antibiotics. Using fewer antibiotics lessens the risk of resistance to those antibiotics developing.

Sanitizers do reduce the risk of illness, perhaps more for GI disease than those that can be airborne.

There is no need to avoid alcohol based hand sanitizers for fear that bacteria will become resistant to alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or