U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2014, 12:14 PM

21,544 posts, read 26,155,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
And, I would nix the hand sanitizers. Even the FDA is realizing the overkill from it. Soap and water is better works well.

Fact or fiction: Can hand sanitizer use create a superbug?

Why You Should Skip Sanitizer, Just Wash Hands : Discovery News
Your sources do not say to "nix" all hand sanitizers. Just avoid those which contain triclosan. Choose one with at least 60% alcohol. Use plain, not anti-bacterial, soap and water when it is available and the alcohol based hand rub when soap and water are not practical. If hands are visibly soiled, use soap and water.

WHO | Alcohol-Based Handrub Risks/Hazards

Although there are a few organisms that are naturally resistant to alcohol, acquired resistance is not a problem. Alcohol based rubs can actually help prevent the spread of antibiotic resistant bacteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 12:39 PM

938 posts, read 1,220,465 times
I understand about the current work force situation. My daughter is grown now. But I watch parents of young kids struggle at work with using their sick days and vacation time for sick kids, and what will the boss think. Last week I took a day off (plenty in my sick/vacation bank) because my husband had surgery. I was asked the next day if I was coming in on Saturday to make it up. So I can only imagine what people with kids are going through. And I work for a doctors' office!

And nix that hand sanitizer unless soap and water are not available. I am always surprised how many people do not wash their hands after using the bathroom or before they eat. Didn't anyone ever teach them that? For those with kids, stick those little packets of hand wipes into their lunch boxes. I guess they don't all line up and use the bathroom just before lunch anymore, I've been told. And be sure that you are teaching them to always wash their hands after using the bathroom.

On the other hand, kids going to school visably sick is not acceptable. Colds and allergies can be managed and still go to school. Give them a box of tissues to put in their backpack. But fevers and vomiting should stay home. If a parent cannot stay home with sick kids then have a Plan B. I traveled for my job when my daughter was young so my husband had a few backups if our daughter got sick. We had a few active retired folks in the neighborhood who would gladly indulge our daughter to a day on their or my sofa watching cartoons in return for my husband doing an oil change or me taking them to an appointment on my days off. We still had a few stay-at-home moms who were happy to earn a few extra bucks watching mine for the day. Get to know the people in your neighborhood and the parents of your kids' friends. Many will be in the same boat as you and can help each other out.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:19 PM

85,025 posts, read 98,908,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
I understand about the current work force situation. My daughter is grown now. But I watch parents of young kids struggle at work with using their sick days and vacation time for sick kids, and what will the boss think. Last week I took a day off (plenty in my sick/vacation bank) because my husband had surgery. I was asked the next day if I was coming in on Saturday to make it up. So I can only imagine what people with kids are going through. And I work for a doctors' office!

And nix that hand sanitizer unless soap and water are not available. I am always surprised how many people do not wash their hands after using the bathroom or before they eat. Didn't anyone ever teach them that? For those with kids, stick those little packets of hand wipes into their lunch boxes. I guess they don't all line up and use the bathroom just before lunch anymore, I've been told. And be sure that you are teaching them to always wash their hands after using the bathroom.

On the other hand, kids going to school visably sick is not acceptable. Colds and allergies can be managed and still go to school. Give them a box of tissues to put in their backpack. But fevers and vomiting should stay home. If a parent cannot stay home with sick kids then have a Plan B. I traveled for my job when my daughter was young so my husband had a few backups if our daughter got sick. We had a few active retired folks in the neighborhood who would gladly indulge our daughter to a day on their or my sofa watching cartoons in return for my husband doing an oil change or me taking them to an appointment on my days off. We still had a few stay-at-home moms who were happy to earn a few extra bucks watching mine for the day. Get to know the people in your neighborhood and the parents of your kids' friends. Many will be in the same boat as you and can help each other out.
It's outrageous they expected you to come in on Saturday when you used a day off! I work in a dr's office too, and we are certainly discouraged from using sick time in most cases.

It's not advisable to leave kids with fever, vomiting and diarrhea with others b/c they are contagious. They're contagious to their family too, but they've already been exposed.

Certainly parents who travel need a "Plan B".

I am going to suggest something outrageous, so I hope I don't get flamed. But I'm a big girl.

Try to limit the time away from school to actual sick time and other unavoidable issues, like funerals. When my kids started school 25 years ago now, I was shocked at how many parents scheduled regular, week long vacations during the school year. Sometimes parents would tack an extra couple of school days onto a vacation that was taken over a school holiday. Also, here in CO, parents were taking their kids out of school to go skiing during the week, b/c "it's less crowded then", also for camping trips. About 12 years ago, our district changed their absence policy. After a certain number of absences, excused OR unexcused, a doctor's note or a court order was needed to excuse the absence. (Family activities were always considered excused.) I don't know what the deal was with the court order, so don't ask me. That's what the attendance line said.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:30 PM

16,501 posts, read 15,961,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I see pages of preaching about parents who send sick kids to school but there are two things at play here that will GAURANTEE kids will keep going to school sick. One is truancy laws in some states scare parents into sending them. No one wants to go to court and deal with that nonsense. Also many companies are very strict about attendance, if you call in you get fired. This means parents who work for an employer like that face two choices. 1. send them sick, or 2. leave the child home alone. Both of these choices are not good ones, and many see sending them sick as the better of the two. This problem has everything to do with the modern economy and job market, NOT bad parenting as most posters on here suggest. In fact the loudest protesters about this are likely people who have never had to work a job like that, or they are from families with the luxury of a stay at home mother. Unless you've walked a mile in these peoples shoes its not fair to judge them.
A parent does not just have two choices. How about preparing in advance for when your child is sick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
When my children were young my husband and i made plans in advance to prepare for when they would be sick. We didn't just act surprised when it happened. Of course, kids will get sick and need to miss school. We weren't lucky enough to have family in the area but we had a back-up plan if neither my husband or I could take off of work that day. And we had a back-up plan for the back-up plan. And we even had a back-up plan for the back-up plan for the back-up plan.

Many parents just have their head in the sand and hope that their child will never ever get sick.
Hmmm, there are NOT just two choices --- send a sick child to school or leave them home alone.

If one of our children was sick we went through our options.
Option 1, my husband or I stayed home, if that was not possible we moved to the next option.
Back-up plan, if that was not possible we moved to the next option.
Back-up to the back-up plan, if that was not possible we moved to the next option.
Back-up to the back-up to the back-up plan.

We actually had a back-up plan to the back-up plan to the back-up plan to the back-up plan in case our child was sick and neither my husband and I could take off of work that day. But, we only had to do that one time in all of the years that our children were young and needed childcare. In fact, we only got to our second back-up plan three or four times in the 15 years that we needed emergency child care for a sick child.

Of course, most parents do not need to plan as many levels as we did, however, to say that there are only two options---send a sick child to school or leave them home alone --- unless you can take a day off of work, is pretty shortsighted.

Last edited by germaine2626; 09-21-2014 at 06:40 PM..

Old 09-21-2014, 06:35 PM

2,159 posts, read 3,737,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Your sources do not say to "nix" all hand sanitizers. Just avoid those which contain triclosan. Choose one with at least 60% alcohol. Use plain, not anti-bacterial, soap and water when it is available and the alcohol based hand rub when soap and water are not practical. If hands are visibly soiled, use soap and water.

WHO | Alcohol-Based Handrub Risks/Hazards

Although there are a few organisms that are naturally resistant to alcohol, acquired resistance is not a problem. Alcohol based rubs can actually help prevent the spread of antibiotic resistant bacteria.
I never said THEY said NIX the sanitizers. I said "I WOULD NIX" them

Old 09-21-2014, 06:41 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,076,504 times
Quote:
A parent does not just have two choices. How about preparing in advance for when your child is sick?
What other options do you think exist for parents who don't live in the same city with extended family? Once children are school aged, babysitters are far an few between at the last minute during a school day. I became a SAHM for this very reason. My husband and I were trading taking days off from work, but eventually we were both at risk of losing our jobs if we continued to do so. Since his job was more important than mine, I ended up being the one who quit working to be home with the children. Not all families can afford to give up one income like we did.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:13 PM

16,501 posts, read 15,961,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
What other options do you think exist for parents who don't live in the same city with extended family? Once children are school aged, babysitters are far an few between at the last minute during a school day. I became a SAHM for this very reason. My husband and I were trading taking days off from work, but eventually we were both at risk of losing our jobs if we continued to do so. Since his job was more important than mine, I ended up being the one who quit working to be home with the children. Not all families can afford to give up one income like we did.
Quote:
We did not have extended family in our area and even if we could somehow get a sick child to my parent's home (four hours away) my mother was disabled and unable to care for them.

These were some of the choices that we used over the 15 years that we needed emergency child care for a sick child or children. Number 1, was a choice for all 15 years and most of the others were only an option for a year or two, so we constantly had to look for replacements. We live in a large city so we did have some options that other people do not have, but everyone has neighbors.

1. A retired neighbor woman, if the child was mildly sick.
2. A different retired neighbor woman.
3. A family friend who was a SAHM with her preschool child (worked for a couple of years)
4. A fellow teacher who was on a six month maternity leave (obviously this option only lasted for six months)
5. A former teenage babysitter that was now an unemployed adult
6. A college student who missed classes for that day
7. A different college student who only had night classes
8. A friend who had days off during the week.
9. An agency that sent a licensed, bonded babysitter to your home (very expensive)--used once
10. A different agency that sent an emergency nanny to your home (also very expensive)---used once
11. A day care center that had a special room just for sick children (actually quite reasonable in price)---used once
12. A day care center at a hospital that provided care for sick children (actually quite reasonable in price)---used once
13. Parent of one of our son's friends
14. A person that we knew from church
15. A different person that we knew from church
16. Probably more people, places or agencies that I can't remember

Many of my co-workers who constantly complained about not having back-up child care actually never really seemed to look very hard for it----basically just complained that since they did not have relatives living close by it was "totally impossible" to find emergency child care.

Last edited by germaine2626; 09-21-2014 at 07:21 PM..

Old 09-21-2014, 08:17 PM

21,544 posts, read 26,155,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
I never said THEY said NIX the sanitizers. I said "I WOULD NIX" them
Why not use an alcohol hand rub, considering that infectious disease experts consider them useful?

Old 09-21-2014, 08:21 PM

2,159 posts, read 3,737,687 times
You know what is also useful? Soap and water. And unless you generally have your hands smeared with urine, feces, blood, raw meat, etc, a little dirt ain't going to kill you if you aren't in a place where you can get to a sink.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:59 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,076,504 times
Quote:
1. A retired neighbor woman, if the child was mildly sick.
2. A different retired neighbor woman.
3. A family friend who was a SAHM with her preschool child (worked for a couple of years)
4. A fellow teacher who was on a six month maternity leave (obviously this option only lasted for six months)
5. A former teenage babysitter that was now an unemployed adult
6. A college student who missed classes for that day
7. A different college student who only had night classes
8. A friend who had days off during the week.
9. An agency that sent a licensed, bonded babysitter to your home (very expensive)--used once
10. A different agency that sent an emergency nanny to your home (also very expensive)---used once
11. A day care center that had a special room just for sick children (actually quite reasonable in price)---used once
12. A day care center at a hospital that provided care for sick children (actually quite reasonable in price)---used once
13. Parent of one of our son's friends
14. A person that we knew from church
15. A different person that we knew from church
16. Probably more people, places or agencies that I can't remember
For someone who is upset by people sending sick children to school because you don't want them spreading illnesses, you might as well have sent your children school since you spread the illness to all of those other people's households. I would never impose a sick child on types of people you mentioned here. It's an incredible imposition. Plus, it sounds like you would leave your children with ANYONE. I wasn't overprotective in many areas of my parenting, but I was VERY selective in who had one-on-one alone time with my children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or