U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:56 PM

14,212 posts, read 9,629,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Exposure to germs doesn't mean exposure to so many germs they automatically get sick (as in being around someone who's sick already). And I think there's much more to a child's health than whether or not you use hand sanitizer. We used it ALL the time when our son was born, for about 6 months. He's 18 months now and he's only been sick once since then (it wasn't immediately after we stopped either). Meanwhile, we have a friend with two kids who keeps a messy house and I'm sure hasn't bought anything close to a sanitizer, and her kids are sick all the time

If nothing else, I agree with the OP because it isn't up to you or your kid when my kid and I "strengthen our immune systems". Let us do it the way we choose, when we choose.
Babies also tend to more isolated than older kids so that might factor into why. Also if you breastfeed then they works stimulates your childs immune system. It's also possible your kid has a very strong immune system to .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 01:00 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,307,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I NEVER use hand sanitizer. The only times I will do it is if we are going to eat and I'm not going to be able to wash my hands before. I try to wash my hands when I get home from work, after the bathroom, and before I eat. That's it. Of course if I'm cooking and handling meat I wash too.
when you're running around with a toddler all day, who's always touching his face or asking for a snack this seems to be the only option, we can't always be running around looking for a bathroom to wash hands, and honestly, trying to wash his hands in a public bathroom is not a fun experience and seems to be more dangerous than just doing sanitizer, it's practically impossible to keep him from touching everything and actually keeping his hands clean after we've washed them when he wants to grab the faucet, toilet, door handles etc. which are much more likely to be covered in nasty poop bacteria

Old 02-16-2012, 01:03 PM

6,009 posts, read 4,950,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Babies also tend to more isolated than older kids so that might factor into why. Also if you breastfeed then they works stimulates your childs immune system. It's also possible your kid has a very strong immune system to .
But, but, babies and toddlers spend more time on the floor with all the bottom-of-the-shoe germs than kids who are going to school already. They also (arguably) put their fingers in their mouths more often

Old 02-16-2012, 01:07 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,229,321 times
OP, just wanted to say I feel your pain (written by a mom home with two kids with a virus who's trying to breathe through about 1/2 a nostril)

Old 02-16-2012, 01:09 PM

14,212 posts, read 9,629,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
But, but, babies and toddlers spend more time on the floor with all the bottom-of-the-shoe germs than kids who are going to school already. They also (arguably) put their fingers in their mouths more often
Hmmm good point there . But still that lack of transfer does help things out. It's like you say more complex then just to blame over sanitizing.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:42 PM

6,455 posts, read 9,528,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
Thanks for the sarcasm, it was greatly appreciated and is a good look on an adult.

Yes I am well aware that allergies are not contagious but a parent sitting across the room from me at library story time doesnt know that my sons nose is running because its a particularly allergy ridden day and assumes i dragged my child out of our house sick.
That wasn't sarcasm. I was pointing out that allergies do not apply to the premise in this thread. Chill. By the way, if your kid is suffering from an allergy, why would you even bother to take him out. I'd guess he/she isn't feeling well (if the allergy is severe enough). Don't worry about what other people are thinking if your kid is not actually sick.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:43 PM

1,820 posts, read 3,902,322 times
I am currently home with a sick child as well... She has been home for 3 days now. I don't undserstand the parents who send their children to school sick, but if it is just a cold, they can go.

Here's a ? My daughter had strep a few months ago, I didn't send her to school for 2 days. I waited for a full 2 days with the antibiotic. A mon I k own said her son gets step often and she sends him right after they get the antibiotic, she sometimes doesn't wait out a 24 hour period...
What is the "protocol"? For something like that?
I know they are usually more contagious prior to getting treatment....

Old 02-16-2012, 01:44 PM

870 posts, read 1,218,443 times
My son and my self have allergies almost the entire year. Is your proposition that we never leave the house?

Old 02-16-2012, 01:45 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,229,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I am currently home with a sick child as well... She has been home for 3 days now. I don't undserstand the parents who send their children to school sick, but if it is just a cold, they can go.

Here's a ? My daughter had strep a few months ago, I didn't send her to school for 2 days. I waited for a full 2 days with the antibiotic. A mon I k own said her son gets step often and she sends him right after they get the antibiotic, she sometimes doesn't wait out a 24 hour period...
What is the "protocol"? For something like that?
I know they are usually more contagious prior to getting treatment....
Our peds have always said the kids can go back to school/activities after 24 hours on the antibiotic; that's DS's preschool's rule of thumb as well. Hope your daughter feels better soon!

Old 02-16-2012, 01:53 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,368,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
By the way, if your kid is suffering from an allergy, why would you even bother to take him out. I'd guess he/she isn't feeling well (if the allergy is severe enough).
Allergies don't necessairly equate with not feeling well. A child with allergies can have a very drippy nose and still to want to go to story time, build a fort in the backyard, ask to go to the park to see the ducks, and eat two helpings of chicken and noodles for lunch.

Or they can be miserable and sick in bed with severe symptoms.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-16-2012 at 02:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or