Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 11:49 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,701 times

Advertisements

Okay, this is just a rant - but I'm so sick (no pun intended) of stupid parents who drag their sick kids out everywhere!! I have a two year old that I stay at home with; we go to different activities like mommy and me classes, storytime at the library, etc. And I'm appalled by how many moms bring in their kids who are obviously sick and then just sit there letting the kids cough/sneeze/drool/puke over everything spreading their germs around! Ugh, it just makes me so mad every time. I mean, I can somewhat understand a working parent bringing in a mildly unwell child to a full-time daycare, when the parent is out of sick time or has a crisis at work. But stay-at-home-moms who take sick kids to play activities, especially ones in enclosed indoor spaces - urrrgggh!
I try hard to keep my son healthy, always carry sanitizer wipes, wash hands and take him away when I see another kid coughing a lung out but there's only so much I can do. When he is sick I stay home with him for a few days or if he feels okay we'll go for a walk in the park or something but out in the fresh air where he won't be infecting anyone. And yea I know it sucks to be stuck home with a sick toddler but that's not an excuse. Why can't other people be a bit more considerate?
This particular rant was 'inspired' by my friend's day today at her daughter's preschool, which is 'parent-participation' - meaning the parents there stay with the kids the whole time. She told me one of the boys in the class looked really sick from the morning, was pale, sweaty, kept lying around on his mother's lap - and then proceeded to throw up. My friend was thinking they'd leave right away, but no - they hung around, waiting until the end of the day by which point the boy threw up again, yet I guess the mother wanted to make sure she gets her money's worth out of the class. It's obviously the preschool's fault too for not kicking them out right away - they really should have, instead they just cleaned it up with some bleach and let them stay, but come on - how retarded do you have to be to keep a puking kid in a class when you're right there with him and could take him home?? I just have no words for this. I've had the stomach flu last year and it just traumatized the hell out of me - people like that just make me want to just never leave the house

Parents, for the love of God - PLEASE KEEP YOUR KIDS HOME WHEN THEY'RE SICK!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 05:03 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,320,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
She told me one of the boys in the class looked really sick from the morning, was pale, sweaty, kept lying around on his mother's lap - and then proceeded to throw up. My friend was thinking they'd leave right away, but no - they hung around, waiting until the end of the day by which point the boy threw up again, yet I guess the mother wanted to make sure she gets her money's worth out of the class. It's obviously the preschool's fault too for not kicking them out right away - they really should have, instead they just cleaned it up with some bleach and let them stay, but come on - how retarded do you have to be to keep a puking kid in a class when you're right there with him and could take him home?? I just have no words for this.

WOW, I can't believe noone asked them to leave!

Old 02-16-2012, 05:24 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Exposing kids to germs at a young age actually boosts their immune system. If a child just has a cold, I don't see the need to isolate them, for something worse than that, yes, stay home. Your hand sanitizer is actually harming your child more than it is helping and "keeping your child healthy" will backfire down the road when he is in school.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:12 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
I NEVER use hand sanitizer. The only times I will do it is if we are going to eat and I'm not going to be able to wash my hands before. I try to wash my hands when I get home from work, after the bathroom, and before I eat. That's it. Of course if I'm cooking and handling meat I wash too.

Everyone at my work is sick this week. EVERYONE. They are coming to disinfect our whole floor because everyone comes in sick. It's not just a school problem.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:53 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
I see it all the time when I fill in at the church nursery. One time I had a 4-year-old throw up while his parents were in church. When I was cleaning him up, he said, "I threw up on the bed this morning, too, but Mom said it would make me feel better and I was probably fine."

And no, bringing a sick kid to group activities is not like naturally inoculating them against future illnesses. I agree with the late great George Carlin that we could all use a little more dirt in our lives, but keep your germs at home.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:54 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Exposing kids to germs at a young age actually boosts their immune system. If a child just has a cold, I don't see the need to isolate them, for something worse than that, yes, stay home. Your hand sanitizer is actually harming your child more than it is helping and "keeping your child healthy" will backfire down the road when he is in school.
Exposure to germs doesn't mean exposure to so many germs they automatically get sick (as in being around someone who's sick already). And I think there's much more to a child's health than whether or not you use hand sanitizer. We used it ALL the time when our son was born, for about 6 months. He's 18 months now and he's only been sick once since then (it wasn't immediately after we stopped either). Meanwhile, we have a friend with two kids who keeps a messy house and I'm sure hasn't bought anything close to a sanitizer, and her kids are sick all the time

If nothing else, I agree with the OP because it isn't up to you or your kid when my kid and I "strengthen our immune systems". Let us do it the way we choose, when we choose.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:02 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,177,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Okay, this is just a rant - but I'm so sick (no pun intended) of stupid parents who drag their sick kids out everywhere!! I have a two year old that I stay at home with; we go to different activities like mommy and me classes, storytime at the library, etc. And I'm appalled by how many moms bring in their kids who are obviously sick and then just sit there letting the kids cough/sneeze/drool/puke over everything spreading their germs around! Ugh, it just makes me so mad every time. I mean, I can somewhat understand a working parent bringing in a mildly unwell child to a full-time daycare, when the parent is out of sick time or has a crisis at work. But stay-at-home-moms who take sick kids to play activities, especially ones in enclosed indoor spaces - urrrgggh!
I try hard to keep my son healthy, always carry sanitizer wipes, wash hands and take him away when I see another kid coughing a lung out but there's only so much I can do. When he is sick I stay home with him for a few days or if he feels okay we'll go for a walk in the park or something but out in the fresh air where he won't be infecting anyone. And yea I know it sucks to be stuck home with a sick toddler but that's not an excuse. Why can't other people be a bit more considerate?
This particular rant was 'inspired' by my friend's day today at her daughter's preschool, which is 'parent-participation' - meaning the parents there stay with the kids the whole time. She told me one of the boys in the class looked really sick from the morning, was pale, sweaty, kept lying around on his mother's lap - and then proceeded to throw up. My friend was thinking they'd leave right away, but no - they hung around, waiting until the end of the day by which point the boy threw up again, yet I guess the mother wanted to make sure she gets her money's worth out of the class. It's obviously the preschool's fault too for not kicking them out right away - they really should have, instead they just cleaned it up with some bleach and let them stay, but come on - how retarded do you have to be to keep a puking kid in a class when you're right there with him and could take him home?? I just have no words for this. I've had the stomach flu last year and it just traumatized the hell out of me - people like that just make me want to just never leave the house

Parents, for the love of God - PLEASE KEEP YOUR KIDS HOME WHEN THEY'RE SICK!!!
This is just a preview of what's to come. In grammar school & junior high especially- the parents send the kids to school sick, & the kids spread their germs to everyone else. That's inevitable. The parents don't care. I've seen it. The teachers just cannot believe how ignorant the parents are, but it doesn't stop. So either brace yourself or homeschool

Old 02-16-2012, 07:32 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
If anything, they should stay home for their kid's own comfort, ESPECIALLY when they're sick. Geesh, some parents can be so crappy.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:26 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,320,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
In grammar school & junior high especially- the parents send the kids to school sick, & the kids spread their germs to everyone else. That's inevitable. The parents don't care. I've seen it. The teachers just cannot believe how ignorant the parents are, but it doesn't stop.
True. I used to teach in HS, and sick students came all the time. The problem is that not only kids can catch their germs, the staff does too. I was sick on a regular basis, and stayed home as often as I could but of course couldn't always be on a sick leave... so sometimes I had to bring my germs to school too, and so did the other teachers. It's a never-ending problem.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:31 AM

869 posts, read 1,494,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
If anything, they should stay home for their kid's own comfort, ESPECIALLY when they're sick. Geesh, some parents can be so crappy.
Yeah when we are sick we just lay in bed and snuggle and veg because functioning when sick is so difficult! But there are some parents who dont want their children to interrupt their lives, as awful as it sounds to say that.

When the OP says they sit and sneeze and have runny noses and cough and things, some kids are always carrying around cold or like one of the children i care for, is allergic to some animal at her house (which her mother wont get rid of) so she is always runny and gross. She cant stay home all time so how sick is to sick. Obviously throwing up is to sick but what about a cold?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting