Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2012, 03:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,072,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
It is quite a lot for normal circumstances. Plus, like I said there are other options if something out of the ordinary happens. Like what I did, no problem.

Sorry, yea, I guess people get upset about that perception. But, parents work, and parents influence schools. Just how it is. Whether schools want to be part child care centers or not, they still are. Not much to do about that. Parents that don't want that can always homeschool. You drop your child off on the way to work and pick them up after. The fact that they learn there is a nice bonus but a lot of parents would use it even if they didn't learn anything.
They don't have much choice, they don't get paid enough for full time child care and this is free, plus they learn something and eat there.
I don't get offended by that, I know the deal. I still sent my kids to public school for the most part, I just didn't expect them to never encounter sick kids. I was fully aware of the dealio.
Is that what you think we are saying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 03:11 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,144,466 times
Quote:
I just didn't expect them to never encounter sick kids.
I suppose if you can make up the history of the public school system of the US, you can make up what people on this thread are saying, since no one said that.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:13 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,561,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I don't even understand your point. Your son seemed to be sick, but wasn't diagnosed with anything contagious. He could have gone to school without infecting anyone, but you chose to keep him home, and are upset with the school because they said he had missed too many days? Yet you seem to be arguing that some people should be able to send their sick kids to school because they have no choice.

I have a relative who has cancer and has had a couple surgeries. she was home schooled for a while during her recovery. Was your child in a public school when all of this happened? I'm sure some, if not all, public schools have an option for e-schooling during a medical leave (re your last line).

Re school being day care first and education second - not true, and not sure where you get these ideas. If that were true, the regular school day would be , at a minimum, 8:00-5:00, and before and after care would not be needed.
Oh, sorry, let me clarify. It took weeks to find out that it wasn't something others could catch. The first few days, at least 3 I thought it was a stomach bug. Then as time dragged on we started going into the doctors. The first one said sometimes stomach bugs can hold on for a while, get some rest. Then a week later he said, maybe it's anxiety. 2nd doctor said it might be mono, a few other things. 3rd doc did the x-rays and then I finally knew he wouldn't spread it. But, at that point he needed surgery, recovery, so, we used up those 3 weeks right at the beginning of the year. I just figured it would save everyone, including my son, a lot of trouble and virtual school was an option.
I was thankful for the option actually, and no, his school didn't offer a virtual option.
As far as the day care and school, I don't want to enrage anyone so I will just agree with whatever from here on out on that subject. I've stated my point, and that I think the two are part of school life, have been for a long time. Some are very thankful that they have a safe place for their kids during work, they also have after school care provided cheaper at school. Some don't have a choice. That is just their reality, despite what stay at home moms want it to be for all others. It's been an ongoing debate since I can remember and I'm old.
I feel lucky that I had the options I did. Some don't. I wasn't upset at the school. I was just amazed that ours was so strict and felt a little bad about mothers from out of state complaining about how it was in AZ schools. I'm use to it, been here a long time. I just realized on here that they probably didn't experience this much in their home states.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I don't buy it. If child care was the priority, and education secondary, the school day would be longer, and we'd have fewer SAHM's. There are other reasons for school and work hours being the same, such as daylight. Just out of curiosity, do you have a link to anything that supports your claim? I've just never heard that before. Kids have been going to school for a long time, even when it might have made more sense to keep them home to help on the farm.

Again, the OP's complaint was that a kid who had already thrown up wasn't sent home. No one is saying parents should wait around for their kid to get sick. Only that they keep them home when they obviously are.
Well, as far as the throw up kid nurses call the parents, they ask, at least they asked me, what do you want me to do? I'd say, I'll be right there but I know some working moms that would say, if he stopped send him back to class and see how it goes. Right or wrong, they do say this and they do abide. Not with a fever present though. Fevers are different.

As far as school, in WW2 if you were a kid and your mom got a job to help out during the war you'd either go to school or to work. Schools did all kinds of things to prepare kids for other things besides just book work. The girls were taught to sew, cook, basic needs and the boys got a lot of "war" training. Public schools always work with society. They are public, they serve the publics needs. We teach a lot more for college prep now, that is what the public wants. We make it easy for parents to send their kids to school while they work, that is what we want. We make after care available so it's easy and cheaper, that is what society wants. We aren't talking about a private school, these are public schools.
Society dictates public schools hours and options. Most of society works.

Schools help out by providing after school care, kids use to go home unsupervised. They call from 3 to 6 the danger zone, that is when kids are between school and parents getting off work.
Also, working parents get upset at the prospect of a 4 day school week. What are we going to do with our kids?
Parents called the possible budget crisis solution a lazy band-aid
They can't afford a whole day a week of child care, and school is a no cost child care for some.
I don't know, it's not as big of a deal to me I guess. Of course working parents rely on school attendance. How would they not?

Old 02-21-2012, 03:47 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,364,617 times
Let me clarify what I think about school/day care.

I think school should be for education. The school day should be structured in the best interests of education. However, while the kids are in school with compulsory attendance laws, parents do not need another source of day care.

I also think schools should aim to be "family friendly" and not make things so darn hard, which, at least when my kids were in school, seemed to be what they were doing, for example, no elementary conferences in the evenings. My kids' school finally started offering early AM (like 7 AM) conferences so working parents could go to conference w/o taking time off work. The middle and high schools did conferences from about 3PM to 8PM, which was much better. Another example is scheduling different days off for elementary, middle level and high school kids for teacher workshops, etc. Our district finally got the word that parents didn't like that, and started scheduling all such days off together. They also quit doing early dismissal on certain days, which was helpful.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I suppose if you can make up the history of the public school system of the US, you can make up what people on this thread are saying, since no one said that.
Ok, if that's what you got out of it, what can I do about it? Nothing much. I really don't want a big brawl with you.
Try promoting a 4 day school week for your kids public school. See what influences the "no ways" you'll get. See the parents you've never seen come out in droves.
Working parents do influence public education, they need somewhere to put their kids, without the cost. Forget the history, it's still going on. Give it a try.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Well, as far as the throw up kid nurses call the parents, they ask, at least they asked me, what do you want me to do? I'd say, I'll be right there but I know some working moms that would say, if he stopped send him back to class and see how it goes. Right or wrong, they do say this and they do abide. Not with a fever present though. Fevers are different.

As far as school, in WW2 if you were a kid and your mom got a job to help out during the war you'd either go to school or to work. Schools did all kinds of things to prepare kids for other things besides just book work. The girls were taught to sew, cook, basic needs and the boys got a lot of "war" training. Public schools always work with society. They are public, they serve the publics needs. We teach a lot more for college prep now, that is what the public wants. We make it easy for parents to send their kids to school while they work, that is what we want. We make after care available so it's easy and cheaper, that is what society wants. We aren't talking about a private school, these are public schools.
Society dictates public schools hours and options. Most of society works.

Schools help out by providing after school care, kids use to go home unsupervised. They call from 3 to 6 the danger zone, that is when kids are between school and parents getting off work.
Also, working parents get upset at the prospect of a 4 day school week. What are we going to do with our kids?
Parents called the possible budget crisis solution a lazy band-aid
They can't afford a whole day a week of child care, and school is a no cost child care for some.
I don't know, it's not as big of a deal to me I guess. Of course working parents rely on school attendance. How would they not?
Did you read the OP? the mom was there and didn't take the kid home, and the school didn't send them home. Failure on both parts. Um, according to the policies at every school I've ever heard of, a puking kid HAS to be picked up. There is no sending him back to class.

School has been M-F for ever. Parents have come to expect that. Of course working parents are upset when a 4 day school week is proposed. That doesn't mean school started out as day care.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Ok, if that's what you got out of it, what can I do about it? Nothing much. I really don't want a big brawl with you.
Try promoting a 4 day school week for your kids public school. See what influences the "no ways" you'll get. See the parents you've never seen come out in droves.
Working parents do influence public education, they need somewhere to put their kids, without the cost. Forget the history, it's still going on. Give it a try.
Are you still looking for a link that indicates that school started off as day care? You are connecting dots that aren't there.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Let me clarify what I think about school/day care.

I think school should be for education. The school day should be structured in the best interests of education. However, while the kids are in school with compulsory attendance laws, parents do not need another source of day care.

I also think schools should aim to be "family friendly" and not make things so darn hard, which, at least when my kids were in school, seemed to be what they were doing, for example, no elementary conferences in the evenings. My kids' school finally started offering early AM (like 7 AM) conferences so working parents could go to conference w/o taking time off work. The middle and high schools did conferences from about 3PM to 8PM, which was much better. Another example is scheduling different days off for elementary, middle level and high school kids for teacher workshops, etc. Our district finally got the word that parents didn't like that, and started scheduling all such days off together. They also quit doing early dismissal on certain days, which was helpful.
I agree with all of this.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Did you read the OP? the mom was there and didn't take the kid home, and the school didn't send them home. Failure on both parts. Um, according to the policies at every school I've ever heard of, a puking kid HAS to be picked up. There is no sending him back to class.

School has been M-F for ever. Parents have come to expect that. Of course working parents are upset when a 4 day school week is proposed. That doesn't mean school started out as day care.
I probably could have said it better. My point is that working parents have influenced school hours, schedules since WW2 when moms started working during the war effort. After that some moms stayed on and worked. Now we have a lot of moms and dads working, single moms, etc. And yes, they do rely on schools as care during the day and make other arrangements after that is not an option. Depending on how secure that job is will likely influence how often their kid gets picked up or sent to school sick. It also will effect these policies because they are part of the parent pool.
Let's just say, the puking kid shouldn't have been allowed to stay at school.
Ok!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting