Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2012, 08:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I was surprised when I read that too. When I was a kid, I didn't miss a day of school until 8th grade. Not because I was sent to school sick. It was because I was never sick until then.
I also won other awards so my mom didn't feel the pressure to send me to school if I was sick. Reading the post you responded to made me a bit sad that some other parents might have thought the same way as that poster.
Every kid I knew who got a perfect attendance award was tremendously healthy.

And their never getting so much as a stomach ache on test days was most impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 08:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post

When we lived in Colorado, my daughter was VOMITED on during the school day......The parent didn't come pick them up for TWO HOURS. .
I'm feeling sorry for the kid who threw up. He's sick enough that he barfs all over another kid. Not exactly a pleasant experience. And his parent can't/won't pick him up for two hours. So he's there still sick and probably a mess himself. Wow. Poor kid.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:47 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
it is also the same thing as adults that work in offices, or any place of employment for that matter

when you are sick, stay freaking home, dont come to work and spread your germs.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:31 AM

22 posts, read 26,875 times
Wish I could keep my child home when he is sick. I do at times, but you'd think I was committing a crime by keeping him home! Weird, yes, but the schools here are ridiculous with attendance, and have been since we moved here. He started in 4th grade here, and the school will say to go ahead and send him to school- the nurse will decide if he's sick enough to go home. Does anyone else think that's ridiculous?

Old 09-21-2014, 07:31 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy1172 View Post
Wish I could keep my child home when he is sick. I do at times, but you'd think I was committing a crime by keeping him home! Weird, yes, but the schools here are ridiculous with attendance, and have been since we moved here. He started in 4th grade here, and the school will say to go ahead and send him to school- the nurse will decide if he's sick enough to go home. Does anyone else think that's ridiculous?
We had the same problem. One of our children was sick all the time. I was only allowed a small number of "parent excuses." The rest had to be medical excuses. That meant going to the pediatrician constantly for illnesses that didn't require a doctor. Even then, I'd get the certified letters threatening to take me to court. I'd call the school and I was told to disregard the letters. The computer system spit them out automatically, but they evaluated each student on a case by case basis before initiating court action. Since they knew my child's excessive absences were legit due to an ongoing illness, I was never at risk of being taken to court, but many parents are taken to court each year in my district. As a result, many parents send their children to school for the nurse to send home because they can't be taken to court if the school sends them home.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:59 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
I see pages of preaching about parents who send sick kids to school but there are two things at play here that will GAURANTEE kids will keep going to school sick. One is truancy laws in some states scare parents into sending them. No one wants to go to court and deal with that nonsense. Also many companies are very strict about attendance, if you call in you get fired. This means parents who work for an employer like that face two choices. 1. send them sick, or 2. leave the child home alone. Both of these choices are not good ones, and many see sending them sick as the better of the two. This problem has everything to do with the modern economy and job market, NOT bad parenting as most posters on here suggest. In fact the loudest protesters about this are likely people who have never had to work a job like that, or they are from families with the luxury of a stay at home mother. Unless you've walked a mile in these peoples shoes its not fair to judge them.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:07 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
There's a difference between sending the kid to school with a little head cold or "sniffles", and sending the kid somewhere with a fever and vomiting. The latter really shouldn't be acceptable.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:18 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,165 times
They are boosting your and your kids immune system. If you are worried about them getting sick, keep them home in a bubble. They can get sick even without little kids, or adults, appearing sick. They may have a virus that is dormant, but pass it on to you where it comes alive.

Germs are not always a bad thing.

Besides, I don't think it is a good thing to teach kids every time they get sick, that they get a day off. It doesn't work like that in the real world. Some parents keep their kids home for every little sneeze or sniffle *roll eyes*

Old 09-21-2014, 10:34 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,165 times
And, I would nix the hand sanitizers. Even the FDA is realizing the overkill from it. Soap and water is better works well.

Fact or fiction: Can hand sanitizer use create a superbug?

Why You Should Skip Sanitizer, Just Wash Hands : Discovery News

Old 09-21-2014, 11:54 AM

866 posts, read 629,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Okay, this is just a rant
Careful you are not labeled a TROLL!

Quote:
Ugh, it just makes me so mad every time.
Call CPS on them!
Quote:
Why can't other people be a bit more considerate?
LOL, they just don't give a damn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting