Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:36 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
How was it not junk?
How was it junk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 08:38 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
I think if you are packing junk food for your child and the teacher wants to feed them good food then they do know what's better .
So you are willing to allow the school to decide how to properly raise your child? That is what at risk here, not a single child's lunch.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
"A state inspector (not sure what that means) checking a Raeford, N.C., elementary school lunchroom decreed that a 4-year-old’s lunch from home — a turkey and cheese sandwich, banana, potato chips, and apple juice — did not meet U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines, according to the Carolina Journal story. Instead, the child was given cafeteria chicken nuggets."

Daycare centers and preschool are licensed by the state. They all (should) be inspected by the state or county to ensure that they are meeting standards. It was not a teacher or any other school employee, just for clarification. ETA I see now that is was an elem school. Why was a 4 yo at an elem school? In any case, it wasn't the school itself.
You don't see any problem with a STATE INSPECTOR telling parent what they should feed their kids? It is a complete and total over reach by government into family life.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:43 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
How was it junk?
That's the point we really don't know what the stuff was made with. I mean it it's turkey on good bread, with good cheese, and juicy juice like apple juice it is *- the chips*. However if it's deli turkey, with processed cheese, white bread, and the type of juice thats about 10 percent juice/90 percent sugar water, then it's not really all that good for you.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:45 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You don't see any problem with a STATE INSPECTOR telling parent what they should feed their kids? It is a complete and total over reach by government into family life.
No because high levels of obesity, spiking incidents of diabetes among youth, and high blood pressure is actually everyones business. When your taxes have to pay increasing health care costs and premium increases, then it strays into the area of public concern.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:47 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
No because high levels of obesity, spiking incidents of diabetes among youth, and high blood pressure is actually everyones business. When your taxes have to pay increasing health care costs and premium increases, then it strays into the area of public concern.
But are children who eat school lunches less obese than children who bring their lunches from home?

You seem to be connecting dots that really don't connect, IMO.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
No it does not. The state simply will not be telling me what to feed my children. EVER.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:52 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
That's the point we really don't know what the stuff was made with. I mean it it's turkey on good bread, with good cheese, and juicy juice like apple juice it is *- the chips*. However if it's deli turkey, with processed cheese, white bread, and the type of juice thats about 10 percent juice/90 percent sugar water, then it's not really all that good for you.
Even if it was all of the above - it certainly wouldn't be any worse than chicken nuggets prepared by the school.

Chicken nuggets are disgusting. We used to be able to have lunch with our child in elementary school and those nuggets certainly weren't made from anything resembling organic white meat!

Old 02-16-2012, 08:53 AM

I am curious to know where this inspector was from, and what he was looking for. I'm searching, and finding USDA regs for free and reduced lunch programs, but that wouldn't regulate what kids bring from home, only what they are being served at school.

ChooseMyPlate.gov

The food pyramid has become a plate, and still recommends servings from 5 food groups, which this kid's meal had - turkey (protein), cheese (dairy), bread (grain), and a banana (fruit and veg). We'd really be splitting hairs I think to say it didn't have a fruit AND a vegetable. I just don't see what jurisdiction this person had to do what he did.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I didn't mean that. I mean it wasn't the school. Just clarifying, like I said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting