U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:01 AM

24,469 posts, read 28,723,874 times

Advertisements

Federal agent says Hoke County pre-schooler's lunch did not meet guidelines | NBC17.com

more info. I'm still not getting it. According to this, the Federal Govt. CAN regulate what kids eat at lunch even if it is brought from home. According to this, I fail to provide a healthy lunch because I send a juice box instead of milk. I am very curious to know if this is actually a law or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 09:12 AM

5,210 posts, read 8,805,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Federal agent says Hoke County pre-schooler's lunch did not meet guidelines | NBC17.com

more info. I'm still not getting it. According to this, the Federal Govt. CAN regulate what kids eat at lunch even if it is brought from home. According to this, I fail to provide a healthy lunch because I send a juice box instead of milk. I am very curious to know if this is actually a law or not.
O.k., so some Inspector Snoopy Pants looks into my child's lunch and deems it "not balanced enough". Without my knowledge or consent, my child is then given extra food to compensate for this lack of balance.

Suddenly, out of the blue, my child starts to gain weight. I scratch my head, wondering why this happening...

Makes a whole lotta sense to me.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:16 AM

51,198 posts, read 50,480,930 times
NO ONE has any business overruling a parent on what they provide for their children for lunch.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:20 AM

10,664 posts, read 7,703,785 times
What children and their parents need is education about food, not punishment.
I think rules are not always good. And room for exceptions is needed.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:23 AM

870 posts, read 1,216,968 times
You guys have been busy since i posted this!

Anywho...I have a four year old son. He starts preschool in the fall, through our local elementary school. Which I was under the impression is part of the school, but perhaps I am wrong?

He is very excited to take his lunch to school like daddy takes his lunch to work. DH takes a banana or apple, fruit with natural juice, salad with tomatoes, fresh chicken that i cook and slice myself and fresh parm on top. He drinks water. The only problem with balance might be there isnt enough dairy.

My son doesnt care for meat much. He never eats a sandwich with meat on it. There are a lot of types of meat he wont eat. We dont eat pork AT ALL in our house. So what do I do if I send lunch and it doesnt have meat on the sandwich which doesnt fulfill his nutrient needs (according to some obscure state rule) and they give him a substitute lunch that contains a pork product. Perhaps it will upset his stomach and he will have to be sent home. It would go against what we teach him at home. But at 4 he doesnt know what is pork and what isnt. The school alternative to their standard lunch if for some reason the child cant eat it is pb&j sandwich. Well that doesnt meet the guidelines for meat either.

We also limit his intake of milk at home. He only drinks milk once a day, with his breakfast. The reason being that over the day to much milk causes him intestinal distress as he has a touch of lactose intolerance. But he has to have milk at school?

These are all potential (and potentially exaggerated) scenarios that could happen. Whats a parent to do when they dont have any control.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Good grief, what a way to overreact!

From the article you posted:

"A teacher apparently was concerned about one child’s homemade lunch and overreacted. I am being told that the school apologized to the parent."

This was one isolated incident.
But if a teacher can overact and feel vindicated in that action by some nutrition guidelines then many other teachers can. Some school districts dont allow students to brown bag at all. But if there are multiple days in a row where he cant or wont eat what at school he either gets the substitute lunch of pb&j (which has a bit to much sugar for my liking) or he goes hungry.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
You guys have been busy since i posted this!

Anywho...I have a four year old son. He starts preschool in the fall, through our local elementary school. Which I was under the impression is part of the school, but perhaps I am wrong?

He is very excited to take his lunch to school like daddy takes his lunch to work. DH takes a banana or apple, fruit with natural juice, salad with tomatoes, fresh chicken that i cook and slice myself and fresh parm on top. He drinks water. The only problem with balance might be there isnt enough dairy.

My son doesnt care for meat much. He never eats a sandwich with meat on it. There are a lot of types of meat he wont eat. We dont eat pork AT ALL in our house. So what do I do if I send lunch and it doesnt have meat on the sandwich which doesnt fulfill his nutrient needs (according to some obscure state rule) and they give him a substitute lunch that contains a pork product. Perhaps it will upset his stomach and he will have to be sent home. It would go against what we teach him at home. But at 4 he doesnt know what is pork and what isnt. The school alternative to their standard lunch if for some reason the child cant eat it is pb&j sandwich. Well that doesnt meet the guidelines for meat either.

We also limit his intake of milk at home. He only drinks milk once a day, with his breakfast. The reason being that over the day to much milk causes him intestinal distress as he has a touch of lactose intolerance. But he has to have milk at school?

These are all potential (and potentially exaggerated) scenarios that could happen. Whats a parent to do when they dont have any control.
I don't like the idea of the school being able to give food to my child without my knowledge. I also hate the idea of some kids having horrible diets, but this doesn't sit well with me.

I sent a "cutie" orange in my son's lunch yesterday and it came back in his lunch box untouched. He also doesn't like lunch meat. I feed him a balanced dinner, and he get fruit ever day at breakfast. Like you, my kids have milk at home, but I don't want to overdo it.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
But if a teacher can overact and feel vindicated in that action by some nutrition guidelines then many other teachers can. Some school districts dont allow students to brown bag at all. But if there are multiple days in a row where he cant or wont eat what at school he either gets the substitute lunch of pb&j (which has a bit to much sugar for my liking) or he goes hungry.
It wasn't a teacher. It was a federal inspector.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:37 AM

I know it was federal inspector, i was just pointing out the flaw in the logic of the person who said i overreacted because A teacher OVERREACTED.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:39 AM

5,210 posts, read 8,805,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It wasn't a teacher. It was a federal inspector.
That fella needs to get his nose out of my child's brown bag and grow himself some common sense.

A child can have overall good nutrition without having every meal perfectly balanced...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting