Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:42 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,061,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
That fella needs to get his nose out of my child's brown bag and grow himself some common sense.

A child can have overall good nutrition without having every meal perfectly balanced...
I didn't say any different. Again, just clarifying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 09:43 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,042,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It wasn't a teacher. It was a federal inspector.
And the more I think about a Federal employee deciding what my child can and cannot eat the more nauseaus I feel.

Edit: I just read an update. It was a state inspector following federal guidelines. I STILL don't want them telling me what my child should eat. If he's in the Federal lunch program that's one thing. But for a state employee to decide my child can't eat the lunch I've chosen for him? No, not happening.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-16-2012 at 10:02 AM..

Old 02-16-2012, 09:43 AM

17,048 posts, read 16,236,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I didn't say any different. Again, just clarifying.
I know.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:16 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,518,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
I know it was federal inspector, i was just pointing out the flaw in the logic of the person who said i overreacted because A teacher OVERREACTED.
No, don't be disingenuous now. This was a single incident that was inappropriate, was acknowledged as inappropriate, and an apology was issued. I was responding to the following statement of yours as being over the top:

Quote:
Watch out parents, we keep letting schools get away with this and it will be no better than a police state where we have NO say!

Old 02-16-2012, 10:56 AM

869 posts, read 1,489,389 times
If you think about all the ridiculousness going on in our school systems and our lives in general, the gov't taking more and more liberties with what they get away with that are frequently inappropriate, it is not out of the realm of possibility that there will be over regulation of our children because school is compulsory. Someone said, i dont know if it was here or on another forum, that the school told him he had no control over who visited his child at school. How is that even ok?

Old 02-16-2012, 11:04 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,581,550 times
Quote:
If you think about all the ridiculousness going on in our school systems and our lives in general, the gov't taking more and more liberties with what they get away with that are frequently inappropriate, it is not out of the realm of possibility that there will be over regulation of our children because school is compulsory. Someone said, i dont know if it was here or on another forum, that the school told him he had no control over who visited his child at school. How is that even ok?
That was on the Education forum. We don't know what happened there, so it's hard to speculate.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:05 AM

869 posts, read 1,489,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
That was on the Education forum. We don't know what happened there, so it's hard to speculate.
Thanks I knew i read it somewhere, just couldnt remember where

Old 02-16-2012, 11:43 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,227,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
No it does not. The state simply will not be telling me what to feed my children. EVER.
You really don't have a choice if that's the given law of the land unless you plan to home school :-P. The fact is when your choices affect other people then you are not just dealing with parental rights. Parental rights contrary to opinion are not absolute.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
But are children who eat school lunches less obese than children who bring their lunches from home?

You seem to be connecting dots that really don't connect, IMO.
You are limited in what you can do sadly spring. No one ia going to allow agents of the state to walk into homes to conduct inspection tours. The best you can do is attempt enforcement in schools by requiring healthy options,eliminating junk. And then just hoping either parents just pack healthier lunches or the children learn something from it.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Even if it was all of the above - it certainly wouldn't be any worse than chicken nuggets prepared by the school.

Chicken nuggets are disgusting. We used to be able to have lunch with our child in elementary school and those nuggets certainly weren't made from anything resembling organic white meat!
Chicken nuggets in schools are breast meat baked in breading. I think you are mistaking the stuff fast food sells with someone that is healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting