U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 03:14 AM

870 posts, read 640,548 times
Default School seizes lunch, not nutrious enough

A turkey sandwich and chips from home versus school nuggets: Sounds like a toss-up to me | Get Schooled

This is utterly obsurd. I decide what to feed my child, and it isnt as if chicken nuggets was any better an option! Watch out parents, we keep letting schools get away with this and it will be no better than a police state where we have NO say!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 05:55 AM

11,952 posts, read 5,588,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
Watch out parents, we keep letting schools get away with this and it will be no better than a police state where we have NO say!
Good grief, what a way to overreact!

From the article you posted:

"A teacher apparently was concerned about one child’s homemade lunch and overreacted. I am being told that the school apologized to the parent."

This was one isolated incident.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:15 AM

5,205 posts, read 4,846,393 times
I think it's ridiculous that this teacher did this. Maybe the parents do not want their kids to have chicken nuggets during the weekdays. Maybe they don't want their child to be consuming fast food like meals every day. Kids don't know or care that the school nugget is a "healthy" version of drive through variety, they just come to assume that nuggets are fine, every day food.

So what if the kid threw out the banana in his homemade lunch? Are kids *required* to eat all of the fruits/veggies on their cafeteria tray?

Last edited by springfieldva; 02-16-2012 at 07:26 AM..

Old 02-16-2012, 07:45 AM

489 posts, read 536,062 times
I have run into problems with USDA food standards at preschools and childcare centers. My oldest daughter is allergic to milk and daily dairy intake is required by most standards. I tried to leave her at a drop-off childcare center in one state when I was teaching college courses. The teacher there told me my daughter had to drink milk because it is required. I had to argue with her and reinforce over and over that my daughter absolutely cannot drink milk. The teacher there seemed frightened by the idea that she may be violating a "health" requirement by "allowing" my daughter to drink water rather than milk.

In another state, I was not able to leave my daughter at a childcare center because they would not even allow me to pack my daughter's own food, despite her allergies. I am a huge supporter of healthy food. However, my impression is that the inspectors of these centers are a little obsessive about it, and sometimes they make decisions that actually make things worse rather than better.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:49 AM

5,562 posts, read 2,473,066 times
On one hand given the obesity issues in the modern age i feel you need to do this. On the other i see the same issues that ellar mentioned as being an issue.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
On one hand given the obesity issues in the modern age i feel you need to do this. On the other i see the same issues that ellar mentioned as being an issue.
Are children who consume school lunches less obese than children who bring their lunches from home, though? But regardless...

I don't think that's even the issue in this case. The child's homemade lunch was deemed to be "unbalanced" by this teacher so the lunch was thrown out and the child was given chicken nuggets, in place of his turkey sandwich...

Sounds dumb *really dumb* to me.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:00 AM

16,827 posts, read 13,606,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Are children who consume school lunches less obese than children who bring their lunches from home, though? But regardless...

I don't think that's even the issue in this case. The child's homemade lunch was deemed to be "unbalanced" by this teacher so the lunch was thrown out and the child was given chicken nuggets, in place of his turkey sandwich...

I agree.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:02 AM

5,562 posts, read 2,473,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post

Actually schools nuggets are not like the ones at fast food and are baked. Depending on the kind of turkey sandwich she had there could be a good chance it is much better. I mean if it's processed deli turkey, on white bread, with mayo, then it's not really good for you. While i can't say for sure if kids eating school lunches is more nutritious i think at least offering one decent meal a day can help counteract some of the affects of the junk food. Not to mention it gives the child the idea that the food they eat at home is not really good for them.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:09 AM

16,827 posts, read 13,606,176 times
Quote:
Actually schools nuggets are not like the ones at fast food and are baked. Depending on the kind of turkey sandwich she had there could be a good chance it is much better. While i can't say for sure if kids eating school lunches is more nutritious i think at least offering one decent meal a day can help counteract some of the affects of the junk food. Not to mention it gives the child the idea that the food they eat at home is not really good for them.
The lunch that was taken away was balanced. It had all the food groups, and included whole fruit. There was no good reason for it to be deemed unhealthy. Yes, turkey lunch meat is processed, but so are chicken nuggets. It sounds like a very bad call on the part of one single person.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Actually schools nuggets are not like the ones at fast food and are baked. Depending on the kind of turkey sandwich she had there could be a good chance it is much better. I mean if it's processed deli turkey, on white bread, with mayo, then it's not really good for you. While i can't say for sure if kids eating school lunches is more nutritious i think at least offering one decent meal a day can help counteract some of the affects of the junk food. Not to mention it gives the child the idea that the food they eat at home is not really good for them.
Doesn't matter how the nugget is made at school. If kids don't learn to make and eat food in and from their own homes, they will never bake a "healthy" nugget at home. Guaranteed.

If they learn to make and eat a sandwich at/from home, they will understand how to make a sandwich....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting