U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 11:35 AM

34,430 posts, read 42,571,594 times

Advertisements

I have a newborn granddaughter whose mother is from Puerto Rico. She says that in PR, girl babies ears are pierced in the hospital. Here in the states, if they decide to do it (my son is on the fence about it) nobody will do it to a small baby, not even the pediatrician.
I’m old fashioned and I don’t like the idea. I think that girls should be able to decide for themselves later.
I practiced the art of keeping my opinion to myself, since the kids didnt ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 01:06 PM

78 posts, read 30,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have a newborn granddaughter whose mother is from Puerto Rico. She says that in PR, girl babies ears are pierced in the hospital. Here in the states, if they decide to do it (my son is on the fence about it) nobody will do it to a small baby, not even the pediatrician.
Iím old fashioned and I donít like the idea. I think that girls should be able to decide for themselves later.
I practiced the art of keeping my opinion to myself, since the kids didnt ask me.
I really doubt that no one will do it. My daughter had hers pierced at 3 months of age and guess what...she can't imagine ever not having her ears pierced. (She's in her 20s now.) If a child really decided later they don't like it....they can just not wear earrings.

Not sure what you say it's old fashioned to not have it done....as it's been done for centuries. You just don't like it.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:59 PM

34,430 posts, read 42,571,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiP View Post
I really doubt that no one will do it. My daughter had hers pierced at 3 months of age and guess what...she can't imagine ever not having her ears pierced. (She's in her 20s now.) If a child really decided later they don't like it....they can just not wear earrings.

Not sure what you say it's old fashioned to not have it done....as it's been done for centuries. You just don't like it.
By old fashioned I mean that in my upbringing, pierced ears were strictly ethnic, and nobody in my circle had pierced ears. I did my own in my 20s as a rebellion thing.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:21 PM

9,662 posts, read 6,224,675 times
I'm another who has two sets of holes in the earlobes. First were done when I was a kid, like probably in the 6-8 years old range? I don't remember my age, but I remember the experience very clearly. It hurt horribly. Scared me a lot, because the gun makes a noise and it's very sudden. So it startled me. And the piercings are slightly asymmetrical, or off kilter, one is a bit higher, one a bit lower. Also, they got badly infected afterwards, despite my Mom diligently cleaning them as we were instructed.

So nearly everything that could have gone wrong, did. That was at a mall kiosk.

As a young adult, I decided to get a second set of piercings, the standard right above the first set in the lobes. I went to a pro piercer in a tattoo shop. It probably cost a little more. I was scared, because I'm phobic about needles. But to my great surprise, it actually didn't hurt! It was altogether a nice experience. The holes are positioned right, and they healed clean.

I would never take a child of mine to the mall, or a jeweler, or Claire's or any of that nonsense with those guns. Nope. If the law prevented me from taking them in the door of a tattoo shop, I'd contact piercers and ask if we could arrange to meet somewhere else. I'd get a pro to do it, or no one. Jewelers and mall employees aren't pros at this. Not really.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:34 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,178,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I

I would never take a child of mine to the mall, or a jeweler, or Claire's or any of that nonsense with those guns. Nope. If the law prevented me from taking them in the door of a tattoo shop, I'd contact piercers and ask if we could arrange to meet somewhere else. I'd get a pro to do it, or no one. Jewelers and mall employees aren't pros at this. Not really.
Same here. I have 3 sets of holes in my earlobes, all done at Piercing Pagoda over a 13-year stretch. The first 2 went alright, but the 3rd time, the right hole is up a little far, more into the fatty rim of the lobe, and also is a bit crooked. It also tends to close up a bit if I don't keep something in there. My other 5 holes are fine except for that one. It's a PITA to put a post in it if I've let it go for a time.

One thing people need to keep in mind is that they can't sterilize those piercing guns. A reputable tattoo or piercing shop will be on top of the sterilization factor. And that goes both ways. I know the guy who did my one and only tattoo was very serious about sterilization, for his and my sake. He said he didn't want to "bring anything home" to his family.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:01 PM

4,048 posts, read 3,040,071 times
My daughter had them done at age 6 at a jewelry store (not Claireís... I canít remember what it was, but they sold nicer jewelry there). I really didnít put that much thought into it. In fact, I wasnít even there; we had talked about getting it done and my husband took her out to do errands and she asked if she could have it done that day and he said yes and took her right there and then! I guess itís one of those things that seems very important to some parents at the time but doesnít really matter in the long run.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:32 PM

10,638 posts, read 3,287,861 times
I took both of my girls to Claires in the mall when they were 5 before they went to Kindergarten. They marked their ears where they would pierce the ear and asked for my approval. Both turned out fine with no problems after. I don't think I would have done it there had they not marked the ear and asked for my approval before piercing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or