Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 07:07 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Meh, my daughter's life and her ears are pretty important to me. If you don't choose to research before making decisions that may impact your child's life, that is your prerogative.
The risk is fairly small assuming the teenager using the gun at Claire's is following all precautions but I am not sure I trust a teenager who might at worst lose their job as opposed to an adult who could lose their license and chosen profession.

Also, I am inherently biased as my cousin had the cartilage of her ear pierced at Claire's and got an infection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 07:57 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
At the tattoo parlor where I got my tattoo, node piercing and navel piercing. They will give you a tour, whether you want it or not, of their cleaning procedures, the autoclave... They give you good aftercare advice that includes no after care solution that the mall and other places will sell you. The after care solutions were tested and found to contain bacteria they were intended to prevent. DOH! Clean water and antimicrobial soap. No spinning! Leave it mostly alone. Wash it twice a day.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:52 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,678,851 times
I had my daughters pierced at Piercing Pagonda at the mall. Her pedi said they dont pierce ears. But as for the whole symetry (sp?) problems. They dot the spots where they are going to pierce with a marker and I checked to make sure they matched, at first they didnt so they remarked and then they wanted to do one at a time and I said no do them both at the same time so another worker assisted and one click and bam she made a gasp noise but didnt cry so I am convinced it did not hurt her at all. She was smiling 3 minutes later. I clean and twist them daily so Im very happy with the results.

I never thought of a tattoo parlor. Seems like a good idea but im still happy with the results I was given or rather Trinitee was given lol.

My mom has one of those piercing guns and she used it with her ex when they were married and his ears got infected. Dont know if he cleaned the correctly afterwards though.

Last edited by OhioChic; 02-18-2012 at 09:02 AM..

Old 02-18-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
At the tattoo parlor where I got my tattoo, node piercing and navel piercing. They will give you a tour, whether you want it or not, of their cleaning procedures, the autoclave... They give you good aftercare advice that includes no after care solution that the mall and other places will sell you. The after care solutions were tested and found to contain bacteria they were intended to prevent. DOH! Clean water and antimicrobial soap. No spinning! Leave it mostly alone. Wash it twice a day.

Why no spinning?

Old 02-18-2012, 08:54 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I have 5 ear piercings and all were done at a jewelry store at the mall in the 1980's. If my mom had had to take me to a piercer at a tattoo parlor, I'm sure I wouldn't have had my ears pierced as a teen. Being a little more open minded, I'd probably take my kids to a piercer. I have one pierce that is giving me problems, and have contemplated going to a piercer myself to get it fixed.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
Why no spinning?
A piercing is an injury. Poking and prodding injuries is not a great idea. The goo that comes out will wash away in the warm shower with soap.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
A piercing is an injury. Poking and prodding injuries is not a great idea. The goo that comes out will wash away in the warm shower with soap.

I thought, and I believe I was told but dont quote me that the spinning is to be sure that while the skin is healing it doesnt attach to the ear ring.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
I thought, and I believe I was told but dont quote me that the spinning is to be sure that while the skin is healing it doesnt attach to the ear ring.
Skin does not attach to metal. Anyway two failed mall piercings, and two successful piercings from a piercer. Anecdotal. But good enough for me. I will follow the piercer's advice.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:06 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Meh, my daughter's life and her ears are pretty important to me. If you don't choose to research before making decisions that may impact your child's life, that is your prerogative.
Nice try, but I don't fall for the "I care about my kids and you don't" bait.

There's a difference between research and overkill.

I suppose I could take my car to get the oil changed at the factory, but there's no need to do that since there are plenty of other places with trained people who have the right equipment to do the job.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:07 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Apparently spinning or twisting results in more scar tissue (that little bump some people have).

Current opinion is to use sea-salt (not table salt because of the iodine) to clean twice a day. No alcohol, and no twisting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting