U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 11:34 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,896,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I would NOT take my Daughter to have her ears pierced. Period.i

We did have that discussion, though, when some other little girls were doing it. That made a nice moment for discussing Peer Pressure, Downward Assimilation, and why people do illogical things.
Is there a difference between decorating one's ear lobes with jewelry and wearing designer clothing or decorating one's house? You have posted at length about buying expensive couture at discount stores or on ebay in order to fit in with your friends. I don't see why one is okay but not the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 11:43 AM

11,222 posts, read 9,200,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Is there a difference between decorating one's ear lobes with jewelry and wearing designer clothing or decorating one's house? You have posted at length about buying expensive couture at discount stores or on ebay in order to fit in with your friends. I don't see why one is okay but not the other.

I think there is. When one pierces their body, they are injuring it. I can see the point of view that we strive to be healthy on the one hand and then injure ourselves in the name of fashion on the other. I, personally, don't choose to worry about it. But I see that it is illogical to seek health but yet promote injury. I just am pretty ok with that logical disconnect based on the risk.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:43 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,768,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I would NOT take my Daughter to have her ears pierced. Period.

We did have that discussion, though, when some other little girls were doing it. That made a nice moment for discussing Peer Pressure, Downward Assimilation, and why people do illogical things.
Why would you assume it is peer pressure?

I have a few piercings because I want them and chose them. I love wearing earrings. My daughter loves earrings too, and wanted her ears pierced because she wanted to wear earrings. If there was any influence on her decision, it was probably that she sees me wearing pretty earrings, and wanted to be able to do the same.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:45 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,768,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I think there is. When one pierces their body, they are injuring it. I can see the point of view that we strive to be healthy on the one hand and then injure ourselves in the name of fashion on the other. I, personally, don't choose to worry about it. But I see that it is illogical to seek health but yet promote injury. I just am pretty ok with that logical disconnect based on the risk.
The same could be said for a multitude of fashion trends. Wearing high heeled shoes does permanently damage feet, getting boob jobs, etc. It's really a matter of how far each individual is prepared to go isn't it?

Old 02-18-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Hmm, interesting. I don't know that I would qualify piercing as injury, however. Alteration, okay.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Hmm, interesting. I don't know that I would qualify piercing as injury, however. Alteration, okay.

If I were to take a needle and stick it through my finger, say as a sewing accident, we would call that injury. Piercing is putting a needle through your skin and removing some skin. It requires "healing". Sure it is also an alteration. But it damages in exactly the same way that any other injury does.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
The same could be said for a multitude of fashion trends. Wearing high heeled shoes does permanently damage feet, getting boob jobs, etc. It's really a matter of how far each individual is prepared to go isn't it?

Of course. And I agree that whether you choose to do any fashion thing that damages no one else is no one else' business. But JustJulia could see no difference between wearing a garment and puncturing yourself with a needle. I see a sizable difference.

I still chose to puncture myself repeatedly!

Old 02-18-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
If I were to take a needle and stick it through my finger, say as a sewing accident, we would call that injury. Piercing is putting a needle through your skin and removing some skin. It requires "healing". Sure it is also an alteration. But it damages in exactly the same way that any other injury does.
Donating blood would therefore be an injury, yet I have never heard anyone call it that.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:07 PM

9,428 posts, read 13,291,248 times
Meh, my mom had hers done with a sewing needle, an ice cube, and a piece of raw potato. She seems to have done okay with it.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:43 PM

36,428 posts, read 41,500,181 times
Back in the day we pierced our ears with icecubes and needles with extra duty sewing thread which was knotted in several places. During school you could see girls with swollen red ear lobes running icky bloody thread thru the holes. It was gross.

my claim to fame is that James Taylor's future sister-in-law (Brett was married to Alex Taylor) pierced my ears after school one day. They got infected so my mother made me pull the threads out. the next summer I had my tonsils out and I had the doctor pierce my ears while I was under general anesthesia.

My daughters have no interest in pierced ears and I'm glad about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or