Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:29 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,157,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Just because you're use to it. Otherwise there is no clinical difference to piercing ones skin, anywhere, with a few private exceptions.

What do you mean by clinical difference? An earlobe is just skin and nerve and is pretty clean. But if you pierce your tongue or lip, you are exposing your piercing to food and saliva which increases the risk of infection. When you pierce a nipple, if you are female, you puncture milk ducts. Eye brow piercings have a much higher risk of migrating and ejecting.

For my part, I see reason to distinguish between ear lobe piercing and others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 11:00 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,072,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I see a huge difference between ear piercing, and tattooing or piercing other body parts. I don't see the harm in a simple ear pierce, but I also don't see the point in taking a 5 year old, or even worse, a baby to have her ears pierced. I have no problem with a young teen doing it though.
I just think they can wait until they are adults and living on their own to make the decision to do it.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:11 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,582,793 times
We had both daughters ears pierced when they were around 9 months old at the pediatricians office. No infections, no issues. I think it's ultimately a personal decision and I saw nothing wrong with it. Had we not done it then and they were older and asked for it to be done, we would get it done.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:39 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,622,264 times
My ears were pierced at some mall store when I was a teenager, as were my daughters'. They both got infections and some scarring. Mine are OK but not completely straight. I didn't consider a professional piercing shop when my girls got their ears done--kind of wish I had. They probably would have done a better job.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:22 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,574,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
What do you mean by clinical difference? An earlobe is just skin and nerve and is pretty clean. But if you pierce your tongue or lip, you are exposing your piercing to food and saliva which increases the risk of infection. When you pierce a nipple, if you are female, you puncture milk ducts. Eye brow piercings have a much higher risk of migrating and ejecting.

For my part, I see reason to distinguish between ear lobe piercing and others.
I just mean it can have the same ill side effects anywhere. Here are some links with some good advice for those getting pierced. The ear lobe yes, it's a pretty easy site but taking earrings in and out can lead to more infection and we tend to do that more with ear lobes. Plus, different earrings cause different reactions , We tend to wear all kinds of earrings in our ears, some cheap, different metals, but not as much in our eye brows. That's all I meant.
It's a choice, just know there are risks with it. I think a professional is a good idea.
Not doing it for my kids is just a personal choice of mine. I decided it based on my own experience so it really can't be anything but personal. I in no way think that others shouldn't get their kids ears pierced. I want to be clear about that. I'm not anti-pierce by any means.
Here are a few good tips for those who do.
When body piercings can pose major health risks
Body Piercing Risks: Review Highlights Possible Health Risks From The Procedure
Pierced Ears
Anywhere that needles are used, even though rare, can transmit things like hepatitis. Always make sure people use sterol equipment. Crap can happen.
I'm sure most parents do this, and are very careful. You can even get hep from manicures so be aware.
Ear Piercing Can Lead to Disfiguring Infection - ABC News
Also if you have things like MVP, heart valve issues of any kind you should maybe take extra notice of any symptoms that include infection, don't ignore it because it can lead to heart valve infections. Just explain your child's medical history to the piercer. If they don't know about it, don't get it done.

Hundreds get piercings, only about 20% of them get minor infections. My choice is based on a personal feeling, not because of medical risks. We drive our kids around in cars, theres risk in everything. Just listing some good advise so people can avoid infections. !/2 my ear lobe is missing, it pays to wear good earrings. Cleaning ears should be done forever, not just right after you have them done. People forget about it, don't clean them anymore, crap happens.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:36 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,051,441 times
I'd take my daughter to a Dermatologist. No question.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:56 PM

Last night, our eldest mentioned that she wants some kind of additional piercing in her ears, something with a bit of gauge to it. She knows I am not a fan of gauges, but she insists they are small and not a big deal when removed. I told her we could go to a piercing/tattoo shop, where she can talk to a pro about what is involved and what they really look like.

Thanks for the idea, Zimbochick!

Old 02-24-2012, 04:09 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,535,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
I'd take my daughter to a Dermatologist. No question.
Why a dermatologist? I can guarantee a dermatologist has absolutely no experience in piercing.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:13 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,535,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Last night, our eldest mentioned that she wants some kind of additional piercing in her ears, something with a bit of gauge to it. She knows I am not a fan of gauges, but she insists they are small and not a big deal when removed. I told her we could go to a piercing/tattoo shop, where she can talk to a pro about what is involved and what they really look like.

Thanks for the idea, Zimbochick!
Well good for you being supportive, I'm not a fan of gauges either, so I totally understand. There's also lots of information about different piercings at the Association Of Professional Piercers, and they have a list of member businesses.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Well good for you being supportive, I'm not a fan of gauges either, so I totally understand. There's also lots of information about different piercings at the Association Of Professional Piercers, and they have a list of member businesses.
I admit that I hope she'll see someone with her gauges out ("these are really small, Mom, not a big deal, I swear") and change her mind. Would I be a bad mom for slipping someone a 20 to scare her out of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting