U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 05:51 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,770,262 times

Advertisements

Why I Took My 7-Year-Old to a Tattoo Parlor | Healthland | TIME.com

Interesting article. What have you decided and why?

I recently took my 8 year-old daughter to have her ears pierced, she is now mature enough to take care of them herself. Thought I'd share my research here. There are 2 different methods, gun or needle. All guns are not the same, some have disposable parts, some need to be sterilized. Needles must be single-use, and pre-sterilized. Apparently the needle causes less bruising than the gun, and therefore less pain.

Choices were:

1) Piercing gun at the jewelry store - this is where I had mine done. My holes are not symmetrical, and not straight (common complaint I discovered). Very brief training, 3 hours is standard.

2) Piercing gun at the mall - Also common complaint regarding symmetry, next to no training, average 15 to 30 minutes.

3) Piercing gun at the pediatrician - clean, but pediatricians receive no training to pierce ears.

4) Piercing gun $5 from Walmart seriously I had no idea these were available, and even less idea that moms actually do this themselves to their children.

5) Professional piercer.

After many hours, I decided to take her to a professional piercer. What I discovered is that most reputable piercers take a one year training program and internship. Most use sterilized, hollow, single-use needles.

The experience for my daughter was great. They used a single-use hollow needle, and did one ear at a time, people were very nice, and her ears healed quickly.

A couple of caveats. Each state and county has different laws regarding piercing. I found it ironic that I could take a child to any mall and get hers ears pierced, but could only take her to one county to get her ears pierced by a professional piercer if she was under 16. Bizarre logic.

If you choose a gun, some places will do both ears at the same time. A piercer will do one at a time.

Last edited by Zimbochick; 02-17-2012 at 05:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 05:53 PM

14,212 posts, read 9,587,218 times
A shady tattoo parlor of course.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:55 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,302,106 times
Well I have 2 holes in each ear. The first ones I had done at the pediatrician and I ended up with a huge infection oddly enough. Second holes were done at the mall. No complaints. Maybe go during the day on a week day? Since kids are at school whoever works at the mall is probably older and has probably pierced more ears. I remember at Claire's they have a bear you can hold while they do it.

I would go with the gun. The needle sounds scary.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:01 PM

870 posts, read 1,214,968 times
I think this is great, it also helps dispel the stereotype about tattoo parlors. And i would have to say I think a professional piercing with a piercing needle would be better than jamming a earring though.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:17 PM

15,713 posts, read 13,130,937 times
One of my best friends from high school is a renowned tattoo artist and his daughter and mine have known each other since they were kids. His wife pierced her ears when she was 6 (she is a professional piercing artist) and he used to tattoo her thumbnails every year for her birthday.

When she decides to get a tattoo I am sure Eric will be the one to do that as well. I know some tattoo parlors are shady, but many are clean places. I would not take a child there much past early evening hours though, as even the best places will have some more adult chatter there after that point.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I would go with the gun. The needle sounds scary.
Having experienced both myself, I found the needle much less painful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
And i would have to say I think a professional piercing with a piercing needle would be better than jamming a earring though.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
and he used to tattoo her thumbnails every year for her birthday.
I have never heard of that before, sounds cool.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:30 PM

15,713 posts, read 13,130,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

I have never heard of that before, sounds cool.
First time, when she was 5 or so, were turtles. Every time since then have been jellyfish. My kid has always known what she wanted to do, lol.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:35 PM

38,767 posts, read 37,478,570 times
Talk about overthinking it.

I had mine done at a very nice local jeweler who had trained employees to pierce ears with a gun. It took 10 seconds, and I felt nothing. Never had a problem, and they still are pierced these decades later.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Talk about overthinking it.

I had mine done at a very nice local jeweler who had trained employees to pierce ears with a gun. It took 10 seconds, and I felt nothing. Never had a problem, and they still are pierced these decades later.

Meh, my daughter's life and her ears are pretty important to me. If you don't choose to research before making decisions that may impact your child's life, that is your prerogative.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:56 PM

10,852 posts, read 18,804,716 times
This is actually a very interesting idea.

I had my daughter's ears done at Walmart when she was three months old. As she grew, the holes ended up at the lower edge of her earlobe and she couldn't wear earrings. We ended up having new holes put in the right place, but I remember wishing that there was a better option than Walmart or Claire's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or