Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2012, 10:10 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I agree, make sure she is healthy so she can think straight and then get therapy, you both could use a neutral party.
Agree with both you and LK. Most marital therapists will evaluate each partner separately and if one party has issues that would benefit from individual therapy (that would also get in the way of doing marital work), the individual therapy will be recommended either before marital counseling or concurrent with it. IMO, it is very understandable that PF's wife is having some difficulty thinking clearly with the recent loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 10:17 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Agree with both you and LK. Most marital therapists will evaluate each partner separately and if one party has issues that would benefit from individual therapy (that would also get in the way of doing marital work), the individual therapy will be recommended either before marital counseling or concurrent with it. IMO, it is very understandable that PF's wife is having some difficulty thinking clearly with the recent loss.
Marital therapy cannot be successful until an individual's own emotional issues have been dealt with.

This wife/mother needs some intervention before she ruins her life and family, then they can work on the marriage - which I sure hope they do.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Marital therapy cannot be successful until an individual's own emotional issues have been dealt with.

This wife/mother needs some intervention before she ruins her life and family, then they can work on the marriage - which I sure hope they do.
I don't disagree with you. However,that feedback will probably go over better coming from the therapist than the husband. And sometimes individual and marital work can go on concurrently, depending on the specifics of the case. It happened periodically at my last practice.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:27 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I don't disagree with you. However,that feedback will probably go over better coming from the therapist than the husband. And sometimes individual and marital work can go on concurrently, depending on the specifics of the case. It happened periodically at my last practice.

Agreed Husband should definitely let a therapist tell his wife he/she needs to work with her alone "first" This news would not be well received coming from the husband alone, lol.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Agreed Husband should definitely let a therapist tell his wife he/she needs to work with her alone "first" This news would not be well received coming from the husband alone, lol.
Exactly!

Old 02-24-2012, 01:42 PM

20 posts, read 41,447 times
PoppySead,

I appreciate your comments. There certainly is an element of freaking out on my part because although we've had ups and downs, it's never ever been like this. So off color it's WHITE.

There is an underlying issue that is revealing itself in that she simply wants to matter more and I totally support that and until now has never been brought to my attention. She matters very much, but I think even after 8 years, 4 kids, and being a home MAKER she's feeling like she only has a small area to move in. This was all a shock to me and honestly I think some of it is exaggerated because of the other issues bothering her, but I'm trying to see through the fog and acknowledge that I don't want her to feel that way and that's something we can definitely work on.

So although there are things we can definitely improve and work on, at this point she still holds on strongly (understandably - to a certain point) the overwhelming desire to have another child. SO much so that in the end she still feels like if that can't happen that she thinks the only thing she can do is end the marriage. That is going to be the elephant in the room at counseling. She feels any decision that ISN'T having another child is MY decision and she will just be going along with what I want, yet again (in her words). So it seems like a lose lose when you put it that way. Right?

We'll see what happens.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulFrank View Post
There is an underlying issue that is revealing itself in that she simply wants to matter more and I totally support that and until now has never been brought to my attention.
Meditate on this.

I'm going to help you out:

Why does she need to "matter more"? (Her answer to the question, not your's.)

And why did she need to bring it to your attention?

Don't come back with a response right away because those won't be answers you need to find. You REALLY need to think about this.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:27 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Meditate on this.

I'm going to help you out:

Why does she need to "matter more"? (Her answer to the question, not your's.)

And why did she need to bring it to your attention?

Don't come back with a response right away because those won't be answers you need to find. You REALLY need to think about this.
Excellent advice!

Old 02-24-2012, 02:32 PM

20 posts, read 41,447 times
DewDropInn,

We talked about this last night.

I guess I've been over opinionated on things, mostly what we spend money on (according to her examples). I guess I'm shooting her requests down without any consideration, too often, or not in the right manner. Ok, that's valid. Not all the time, that's the part that I'm kind of shocked about, because I don't think it's THAT bad, but to her it seems to be..sooo.

She kept the level of how much this bothers her bottled up. Or this is just a symptom of whatever else is going on inside of her right now. Very unstable ground and unclear statements and actions going on right now.

Last edited by PaulFrank; 02-24-2012 at 02:43 PM..

Old 02-24-2012, 02:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulFrank View Post
DewDropInn,

I guess I've been over opinionated on things, mostly what we spend money on (according to her examples). I guess I'm shooting her requests down without any consideration, too often, or not in the right manner. Ok, that's valid. Not all the time, that's the part that I'm kind of shocked about, because I don't think it's THAT bad, but to her it seems to be..sooo.

She kept the level of how much this bothers her bottled up. Or this is just a symptom of whatever else is going on inside of her right now. Very unstable ground and unclear statements and actions going on right now.
You didn't meditate very long.

Can you see me shaking my finger at you through the ether?

You're too hung up on how "unstable" she is. Think about the reason she's "unstable". Which I don't think she is. I think she's just had it up to here with a whole bunch of things. Including having no power in your marriage. And maybe you.

Where's her power? As a mother.

So what does she want to do again?

Be a mother.

Now go take one of those three mile walks and THINK. Not about you. About HER.

BTW: I vote for counseling as well. But not one you pick. Let her decide who you go see. Let that be her choice. Ask her if she'll go if she feels SHE'LL be listened to.

One more thing: You even controlled the decision on baptism? And she's a Catholic? Do you know how important Baptism is to a Catholic? If she's a Catholic you vetoed her wants for her children's SOULS.

Now go think again.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-24-2012 at 02:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting