U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 07:47 PM

428 posts, read 349,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I remember the good old days, when children were seen and not heard.
But then alcohol-based cough syrup was taken off the shelf and the law got stricter with parent-sponsored underaged drinking at home. Those good old days flew right out the window when we could no longer sedate our kids. (J/K!!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 08:04 PM

870 posts, read 1,143,731 times
We had our son before we got married and I joked on our honeymoon that I wanted to go to a restaurant without high chairs. Which we did, im sure you could have brought your children but i imagine it was frowned on.

We went to a really nice hibachi restaurant for my birthday a couple of years ago and you share a table with other people and across the table was a 12 year old with like 4 little friends being rowdy and playing and throwing things. It kind of irritated me that I was paying $30 a plate and had to sit at a table with a couple kids, i had left mine at home. I dont complain at family/kid friendly restaurants but sometimes you just want quiet relaxing dinner.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:07 PM

10,921 posts, read 8,289,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
We had our son before we got married and I joked on our honeymoon that I wanted to go to a restaurant without high chairs. Which we did, im sure you could have brought your children but i imagine it was frowned on.

We went to a really nice hibachi restaurant for my birthday a couple of years ago and you share a table with other people and across the table was a 12 year old with like 4 little friends being rowdy and playing and throwing things. It kind of irritated me that I was paying $30 a plate and had to sit at a table with a couple kids, i had left mine at home. I dont complain at family/kid friendly restaurants but sometimes you just want quiet relaxing dinner.
I guess I am bitter and grump that those families who think that that behavior is ok makes some of these places inaccessible to the rest of whose children know how to behave in a restaurant.

But I get the need. I do.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:11 PM

261 posts, read 274,388 times
As a parent of an eight year old child and a teacher I love the idea of adult only restaurants. Sometimes we just need a break from kids.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:14 PM

8,381 posts, read 8,922,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
Same here- complaining about kids in a family restaurant is silly, but on the (very rare) date nights with hubby when we get a sitter and go to an upscale restaurant, I don't want to be sitting beside a screaming toddler either.
Same here, if I get a sitter and go out childless, on that rare occasion I would've loved a childless eatery. It's not like there aren't an abundance of kiddy restaurants out there.

My kids are older now but when they were young when ever their aunt would come to town she would insist on taking us all out eating. I dreaded it. It's like she was testing our children's behavior, I use to swear she was just trying to produce situations for her own entertainment. My hyper, picky eating son would give her A LOT of entertainment. As well as my shy twins, it was always entertaining for me to count how many times in one evening she would say, "cat got your tongue girls?""Wow, your son sure is a fidgety one, how do you handle that?"
My entertainment was counting how manny insults she could deliver during a meal. Quite a few, even while eating the food. lol
Looking back I should've just insisted she take only the kids with her and gone to eat with her brother at an adult only place. Ah, sweet revenge.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:17 PM

5,942 posts, read 4,527,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I guess I am bitter and grump that those families who think that that behavior is ok makes some of these places inaccessible to the rest of whose children know how to behave in a restaurant.

But I get the need. I do.
Yeah, I understand that. But I guess it's better than letting all the kids in at first, and then kicking some out for being too loud and rambunctious

Old 02-23-2012, 08:26 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,217,950 times
Child only restaurants are a very welcome sight.
I've been in many mid to upper scale eateries enjoying a meal only to have the experience lessened by a screaming child.

McDonalds and other fast food is an entirely different story.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:10 PM

4,044 posts, read 5,517,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Yeah I'm alright with adult-only restaurants too. What I object to is people going to McD's or Waffle House and complaining about kids.
So there should be some places where children should be free to act in ways that attract complaints. In reality, extremely few adults are so crazy to complain about truly well-behaved children.

Why shouldn't children be expected to control/restrain themselves even at McDonalds?
I truly believe their God-given "creativity" won't be "stifled" and no profits will be lost in the future (Lord Forbid!) just because they were forced to practice self-control during childhood.

Last edited by syracusa; 02-23-2012 at 11:35 PM..

Old 02-23-2012, 11:12 PM

4,044 posts, read 5,517,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
however, there need to be places that still serve families without the children being given dirty looks just for existing.
Children do not receive dirty looks "just for existing".
It is the parents who changed the meaning of the word "existing" and who expect everyone else to put up with that type of "existence".

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I remember the good old days, when children were seen and not heard.
So there: if children today behaved in the "be-seen-but-not-heard" fashion of yesterday, most people would not even notice them, let alone start complaining about them. But kids today are raised on a diet of permanent adult attention, egalitarianism and sense of importance and you'd better be sure that even the most "well-behaved" of them will make themselves both seen AND heard. Sometimes LOUDLY.
If they are not heard, they will make sure they re-direct your attention from anything adult-centered to THEM - in a jiffy.

It is why you have so many people today complaining about children in public spaces.

I should add that, as a mother of two small and generally well-behaved children, especially when in public spaces, I am yet to have met in America ONE SINGLE adult who has given my children or any other children around the "dirty look". This was even in situations that I believed called for dirty looks (they had their moments).
In fact, I was hoping there would be some dirty looks so I could get some community help in my quest to discipline these children.
Feeling ashamed goes a long way.

All I ever got though were indulging smiles along the lines of "that's OK, this is normal, kids are kids, oh how adorable, we should all smile and go goo-goo over them, regardless". And trust me, in those moments, they were not "goo-goo" at all - though admittedly my standards are somewhere between high and very high.

What I have seen from where I stand is a huge cultural pressure to like kids no matter how they are, to spend a lot of time focusing on them regardless of how many adults you have gathered in one space and how much adult conversation could be had if everyone was not constantly talking about the kids and focusing on them to the detriment of everything else.

So I am yet to see one dirty look. I would have plenty to give away though but I have learned to play the cultural game and just smile indulgently even when my brain cries "OB-NO-XIOUS"!

Last edited by syracusa; 02-23-2012 at 11:37 PM..

Old 02-24-2012, 04:47 AM

1,280 posts, read 3,815,930 times
Remember we are talking about "no under 6's" here, not denying a well behaved 10 year old a steak house visit with his parents.

My kids are 4 and 2. They are well behaved, but yes, they will get bored sitting in a "proper" restaurant without entertainment (indoor playground, crayons etc), especially the sort of upscale places where one might wait 30 minutes for the first course. I wouldn't take them there, but other parents would. Having a "no little kids" rule makes it clear what is expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting