Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 07:52 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,354,137 times

Advertisements

The Texan in me says, "That ain't nothin! My mom used switches on me!" (true story)

But the brain in me says yeah, that's not right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 08:38 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,543,707 times
Does this guy seem sick to you?
Do you have to ask? Yeah!

Old 02-24-2012, 09:11 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,846,179 times
His books should be banned and burned and he should be thrown in jail as an accessory to the murders that are mentioned. It is scary how much thought he has put into how best to hurt children.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:36 PM

4,043 posts, read 7,405,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftySM View Post
In this book, she recommends that if your husband molests/rapes your children, you stick with him while he goes to jail, and then once he has served his time, welcome him back into the family (and into your bed) with open arms.
Dang it, when they say "free country" they really DO mean "FREE country".

Old 02-25-2012, 02:43 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,233,519 times
My mom was the one who administered most of the spankings, and I've had the wooden spoon, occasional belt, and usually a switch. But one of the worst beatings I had was from my father and he used a thick rubber hose. It caught me off-guard and, let tell you, I never again did what had set him off that day. I learned reeeeeeeal quick!

Y'know, I have had my share of criticisms and hard feelings towards my parents, but "spankings" has never been one of the memories I resent.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:04 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,354,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
My mom was the one who administered most of the spankings, and I've had the wooden spoon, occasional belt, and usually a switch. But one of the worst beatings I had was from my father and he used a thick rubber hose. It caught me off-guard and, let tell you, I never again did what had set him off that day. I learned reeeeeeeal quick!

Y'know, I have had my share of criticisms and hard feelings towards my parents, but "spankings" has never been one of the memories I resent.
Same here. Did anyone else's mom or dad drill holes in the paddle specifically because they thought the spanking would hurt more?

Still, I can acknowledge the way my mom chose to discipline me wasn't the best. All my cousins were physically disciplined much more than I was. With my mom, it was rare. The only other difference between my mom and theirs was that mine would make us suffer through some loooong lectures both before and after the spanking.

We're all grown now, and I'm the only one who's never been in jail, who only has a kid with the woman he's still with (knock on holey paddles), and who's never tried drugs (not even marijuana). It doesn't mean I have an uncheckered past, but I can tell you with or without a bias that I turned out better than every single one of my cousins who were physically "disciplined" as much as or more than myself. The one who turned out better, wasn't spanked at all.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:03 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,364,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Same here. Did anyone else's mom or dad drill holes in the paddle specifically because they thought the spanking would hurt more?
Yes! We had three paddles hanging in the kitchen. A thick one, a thinner one, and the one with holes. Just seeing them hanging there was a deterrent. Now that I think about it, I can't remember them ever using any of them. I do remember getting a smack on the butt with an open hand a time or two, so I guess that did the trick.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:39 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,941,646 times
I don't see why we have to use pain as a punishment. No one wants to feel pain and it shouldn't be unwillingly inflicted upon a person.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:55 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,233,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I don't see why we have to use pain as a punishment. No one wants to feel pain and it shouldn't be unwillingly inflicted upon a person.
Well, when I raised mine I usually sought other methods first. And she was a challening child, so we got pretty ingenious. But there were still many times when the alternative methods did not work, so the last option was spankings. And, in those situations, oddly enough that is what got her attention. In the end, she made her choice.

Back to the original question, I kept a ping-pong paddle aside for the spankings, and probably used a wooden spoon, too.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:30 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,538,579 times
My mother spanked me with wooden spoons or a hairbrush. It's weird ... I don't remember crying. I'm sure I must have, but I remember nothing about it. My dad spanked me with his hand, and I think with the belt once when I was small, but it's so vague I can't be certain.

I guess I could take this to mean that it wasn't that big a deal, if I can hardly remember now. But it doesn't sit right with me. I've spanked my children with my hand, and now I wish I hadn't. It's too late to undo it. I don't think what my parents did was effective. I grew up to be a productive, law-abiding citizen, so is that success? I don't know. I'm somewhat ambivalent about spanking, but I just don't agree with brushes and sticks and whips and paddles. If you need to inflict that level of pain, the situation is not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting