Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 10:20 PM

89 posts, read 327,470 times

Advertisements

And he claims that it's the "Christian way."

Here's a link to a CBS news story and video - Spare the Rod Part 1: Spanking in the Name of the Lord

Bear in mind that at the same time, a study was just released showing that spanking lowers IQ - Does spanking make your kids less intelligent? - WTKR (http://www.wtkr.com/news/wtkr-does-spanking-making-your-kids-less-intelligent-20120221,0,1131.story - broken link)

And finally, there's this - Isn’t spanking the parental flaw of a bygone era? (http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/spanking+parental+flaw+bygone/6181197/story.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 10:49 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,047 times
I am one from the "spanking-is-just-fine-when-needed" camp.
But I find people in this guy's league a little creepy.

Not because they favor spanking per se, but because of the way they turn it into a science, the way they plan around it in an emotionless way and the way they seem to derive this weird righteousness from the process.

It's been a long time since I rejected the popular belief that "spanking should not be done in anger". BS.

Sure, not in anger that leads to actual beating, but not in "planning" and seemingly "getting kicks out of every minute of it" either.

If the child gets out of control, ignores my calls and continues to irritate me significantly, it is a sign that he needs an abrupt reminder that the circus is over. I smack their butts and it's over - and yes, when I do that, I am usually irritated. I don't smack them in perfect calmness. That's creepy and would show a dishonest disconnect between the situation and my feelings.
I believe the child should understand that they are making the parent upset, that the parents are human, that they have limits as well as emotions.
Not out of control emotions - but emotions nevertheless.

So I don't plan, I don't "administer" and I don't make it a science. I just smack them once, they stop, and they know that helas, I am still the one in control - even in this democratic, free country.

Yep, it's a tough life...though it's funny how they are quite happy the vast majority of the times.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:04 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
An sick and ignorant and very dangerous man basing his sick fantasies on bronze age superstitions and ignorance.

Sadly there are sick people that will follow his insanity, and children that will be abused.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:10 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Eh any parent using those objects in this day and age will be tossed in jail.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:48 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
i spanked my kids when needed but they spent a lot of their evening in time out as well.

there was a theory i never bought that parents should spank their kids using an object such as a belt, switch, something. but not their hands. the theory was that the child will then associate the pain of the spanking with the object NOT with the parent administering said spanking.

thought it was hokum myself

Old 02-24-2012, 04:29 PM

834 posts, read 2,683,441 times
Whatever! There are so many so called "christians" that don't have a hair of being descent human beings. Since many centuries a lot of wrong things have been done in the name of christianity. A lot of it ended up with a worse turn out.

The other day I heard news of a poor 8 year old who died because the mother in law and grandma put her to run around the house for 3 hours as punishment. Who does that! ugh. Spanking/extreme punishment gets you nowhere with your kid. All it does gets YOUR frustration out and damages the child's self esteem and thought process. Instead just walk away and punch a punching bag, kick a chair or hit the wall. Cool off and talk to your kids in a authoritative way and give them consequences for their actions. Be consistent.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:06 PM

840 posts, read 781,016 times
I was spanked with everything from switches,paddles,wooden spoons,shoes...whatever was handy. I am smart as a whip so I don't believe the spanked kids are dumber bs.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:21 PM

60 posts, read 260,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
I was spanked with everything from switches,paddles,wooden spoons,shoes...whatever was handy. I am smart as a whip so I don't believe the spanked kids are dumber bs.
That's some lovely anecdotal evidence you have there.

The Pears are CRAZY. CRAZY. (I've read some of their books to see what they say, because I'd heard how awful they are, and hoooooooboy, they're terrifying.) They advocate things like whacking your six month old with plumbing line (have you SEEN a six month old? Most six month olds can't even sit up unaided, let alone misbehave on purpose), setting your kid up so that you can punish them (i.e., offering your baby something you don't want them to touch, like your glasses, and then hitting the baby when he/she reaches for them), pushing your child into deep water and letting them struggle for a while to teach them that water is dangerous and you shouldn't go by it, etc.

I truly can't understand how anyone could read their books and still think the Pearls are sane. Debi Pearl (Michael's wife) wrote a book for wives, called 'Created to Be His Helpmeet,' all about being a submissive Christian wife. In this book, she recommends that if your husband molests/rapes your children, you stick with him while he goes to jail, and then once he has served his time, welcome him back into the family (and into your bed) with open arms. I was completely aghast when I read that. Any man that touches my child will be welcomed in the face with a baseball bat, thankyouverymuch.

There's about as much Christ in these peoples' books as there is healthy food in a McDonald's meal. They're horrifying.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:51 PM

840 posts, read 781,016 times
Those people seem a bit whacko if ya ask me. I am not religious so that means nothing to me. At the most! A 6 month old should be taught the word no they do not deserve to be smacked...the first time I smacked my kids they were at least 14 or 15 months and it was a pop on the hand or the butt 1 time. Not hard enough to harm them just hard enough to let them know they did something bad. Even that it only took once. Everyone has different ways of doing things but those people are nuts.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:47 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
agree

and i think there has to be a negative consequence, such as a spanking, so that the parent can honestly warn off the kid before the need to spank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting