U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 10:04 AM

30 posts, read 76,671 times
Default When people wearing perfume hold your baby...

This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I can't stand it when friends or relatives are wearing perfume or a strong scented body lotion and hold my babies. Their clothes and hair wind up reeking of perfume and I get so grossed out. I can hardly wait to bathe them. I don't want to be rude and tell perfume wearing people they can't hold my children, so I just deal with it. Does this bother anyone else? How do you handle it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 10:13 AM

786 posts, read 42,503 times
Forget about holding the baby. I hate it when they've doused themselves with so much that I can smell them 5 minutes after they've walked by. I told one girl that whatever she rolled in sure does stink. I don't suggest that approach, fwiw.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:11 PM

3,258 posts, read 5,572,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuke View Post
I told one girl that whatever she rolled in sure does stink. I don't suggest that approach, fwiw.
LOL! Even then some people don't take the advise, even though it should be obvious. When I can smell my perfume, I get a headache. If I can't smell it, it's on just right, IMO.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:33 PM

16,121 posts, read 18,436,650 times
Honestly, I would not hurt the feelings of a relative or friend over this. If it bothers your baby he will cry and you can take him back, if not, don't worry about it.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:43 PM

1,501 posts, read 3,826,902 times
Agree with Gentlearts. Or the baby will make a funny face and squirm "away" if it offends too much. Baby will probably be the first to let you both "know" before you even realize :>)

I say let Baby "handle it". They're not shy.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 10,758 times
The Mother I babysit for wears very strong perfume, and it rubs off on the baby. When she is wearing the perfume the baby gets really crabby and I can't even stand to hold her... the smell is so strong I get really bad headaches. What is worse is the mother doesn't send clean clothes for the baby. I need to find a way to tell the mom with out sounding rude or having to bathe the baby everyday. Any suggestions?

Old 04-28-2010, 08:54 AM

41,350 posts, read 45,359,696 times
I'd tell the mother that you are allergic to perfume. She's probably unaware that her baby smells like her perfume. Tell her that you need the situation to change in order to continue babysitting.

Some people are unaware that they were wearing too much. We had an intervention with a friend---a few of us got together, sat him down, and gently told him that he wore way TOO MUCH. He took it well and stopped over doing it.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:58 AM

1,823 posts, read 995,998 times
''Wow am i in heaven ..nice perfume u wearing there, aww look the baby seems to like it too'' .. get my point ! ..If the baby sneezes ''Aww h/she's so sensitive to smell'' ..gently ask the person to hand em over ..''May i'' ..if the person seems to hold on ..yell @ em ..gimme back my babeeeee .. stomp your feet and cry out loud ..'' i want my baby, give back my babeeeeeeeeee .. scream a loud .. cry baby cry .. fall flat and act as if u've got a jolt .. yeyeyeyeyeyee my babyeyeyeyeye ..lol

Old 04-28-2010, 11:22 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,506,144 times
My brother in law is allergic to fragrance and my sister and both of their daughters are very careful of what they wear (even soaps they use), yet my mother, knowing about his allergy swims in a vat of the stuff before visiting them.

Some people just don't understand or just don't care.

Light fragrance is so pleasant, but overwhelming odor is like repellant.

Babies can't just walk away.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:00 PM

1,226 posts, read 952,385 times
Just tell them the baby seems to be very sensitive to scents, and would they mind wiping some of it off before they hold him. I am extremely sensitive to scents and have had to tell my MIL and mother that, they seem to try, but when they don't, I've had to wipe down my phones and bathe my children... after which I have to go lay down with a severe headache and swollen red eyes.

I'm not sensitive to male colognes or fruit based smells.... but it seems that people that like to overdo it are partial to flowery smells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting