Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 05:17 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,418,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2DFW View Post
What country do you live in? The constitution doesn't just apply to public spaces lol.
Now you are talking about Constitutional rights? You have got to be kidding me! This thread is about CELLPHONES, which, by the way, is not a Constitutional right. And speaking of Constitutional right, it is your Constitutional right to bear arms, one I help defend when I served my country for almost 8yrs, but I will be damned if a parent brings over one of their guns to my home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 05:31 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,967,370 times
Quote:
What country do you live in? The constitution doesn't just apply to public spaces lol.
There is a divide between public and private spaces in the consitution and our laws. Like I said, I don't have the right to enter your home without your permission or to insist I do so with muddy shoes or in any other way that you deem unacceptable. Do I? If I say my home is a cell phone free zone then I can enforce that in my house, just like you can enforce no muddy shoes, no smoking or no swearing.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:25 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,897,551 times
Quote:
This would seem like an extreme overreaction to me.

I don't like cell phones all that much but I do acknowledge that there is a place for them at certain times. A nine year old being away from home for the first time is one of them. By the way, I've come to learn that my daughter was not the only child who took a cell phone to the party, and we were not the only parents who were taken aback by the rule. At least two other kids had them, and I only consulted with three of the other parents.

I'm sorry that this thread was moved from the Long Island board because I think that the reaction would have been different. How safe you feel at any point in time has a great deal to do with where you are standing. Some of our viewpoints on this may differ. I'm also sorry that this turned into such a heated debate, but frankly I found some of the responses to be so off the wall that I felt the need to respond as I did. I will simply state my final opinion on the matter and then leave it alone.

Cell phones whether you like them or not in your home, are in fact legal. There are times admittedly, that they are innappropriate. But even in the instances where their use is innappropriate, such as a movie theatre or concert hall, the patrons are asked to turn their cell phone off until they leave the theater. They are not prohibited from carrying them inside. Even on an airplane, passengers are instructed to turn off all electronic devices until the captain says they can be used again. But they are not prohibited from being brought on board. Whether you have a bias against cell phones or not, they are going to become increasingly prevalent in our society as time goes on. I for one don't care for all the texting and photographing and what not, but my daughter wasn't going to do any of that anyway. She simply had a way to contact us if she got frightened without bothering anyone else at the sleepover, including the parents who might be sleeping.

I thank you for all of your time and thoughtful opinions.
Well, this whole situation does sound very Long Island to me (it's where I'm from, still visit quite a lot). If there was time to consult with other parents and C-D prior to sending your daughter with the cell phone, then there was time to exercise some simple courtesy and just speak to the host mom beforehand.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:38 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,157,398 times
Quote:
This would seem like an extreme overreaction to me.

I don't like cell phones all that much but I do acknowledge that there is a place for them at certain times.
This has nothing to do with cell phones or rules about cell phone. I have no opinion whatsoever about this rule. But I will tell you that a child who thinks that they get to decide which of my house rules they will follow and which they will not will not be welcome in my home. I cannot ever know what other rules they will chose to ignore. I will not be responsible for the safety of a guest who chooses to ignore my rules.

Quote:
A nine year old being away from home for the first time is one of them.
Then the onus is on YOU that child's parent to decide that it is inappropriate for your child to attend that sleepover not for the hosting parent to accept that child ignoring his or her rules.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,399,570 times
Dealbreaker for my girls. I've had plenty of sleepovers. I don't care if the girls bring their cellphones. If fact, I encourage it.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:14 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,574,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I think taking the cell phones away to prevent pictures being taken and posted is wise actually. Assuming there is a home phone, the kids can use that if they need to make calls.
Ya, you know this is becoming a issue socially for me as well. Yes, I can say no Facebook page for you, none of my family have a facebook or the like, I can trust my own kids to not photo others and put them on the internet or fast forward on the cel but I can't control others kids or parents for that matter.

I have a friend whom I hated attending her parties because she films and takes pics of the whole event and posts it to youtube and her facebook. I don't go anymore because I hate it.

I agree, theres a home phone, get the number or have her call you before bed and check in. It's better than seeing her boobs on facebook at a later date. I just hate the new social internet crap. Yes, it's personal so we don't do it and avoid people who do. I'm not famous, I shouldn't have to worry about my ugly face showing up in the media. It's really rude to post others pictures or movies of them on a public site without asking them first but people do it alllllllll the time. Because of their abuse parents are starting to ask people to leave their cameras, and phones at home.

Now, it's another issue if the parent is just trying to make your child more friendly. If it's because of texting and not being friendly then she should just not invite her. Controlling others behavior for those reasons is odd. But I have a feeling it's the growing rude trend of pasting everything on youtube like your kids undies or weird party moments your kid might not want shared.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:25 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,535,563 times
The no electronics rule is not new. I'm surprised people with children in the 8 to 12 age range are acting so surprised about it. My kids have been on sleep-over camps, and Boy Scouts camps that have a strict no electronics rule, which includes cell phones. The kids have access to a phone 24/7 should they need it. I think the reasons are varied, liability for loss, inappropriate use, selling them, etc.

We have questioned this rule in the past (before the events) when my son has attended camps far from home, as my son has health issues, and a joint decision was made by all parties that it would be best if my son carried a cell phone. He knows why, and it stays in his backpack in the case of an emergency. For sleepovers the landline or host parent cell phone is fine.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:36 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,622,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Ya, you know this is becoming a issue socially for me as well. Yes, I can say no Facebook page for you, none of my family have a facebook or the like, I can trust my own kids to not photo others and put them on the internet or fast forward on the cel but I can't control others kids or parents for that matter.

I have a friend whom I hated attending her parties because she films and takes pics of the whole event and posts it to youtube and her facebook. I don't go anymore because I hate it.

I agree, theres a home phone, get the number or have her call you before bed and check in. It's better than seeing her boobs on facebook at a later date. I just hate the new social internet crap. Yes, it's personal so we don't do it and avoid people who do. I'm not famous, I shouldn't have to worry about my ugly face showing up in the media. It's really rude to post others pictures or movies of them on a public site without asking them first but people do it alllllllll the time. Because of their abuse parents are starting to ask people to leave their cameras, and phones at home.

Now, it's another issue if the parent is just trying to make your child more friendly. If it's because of texting and not being friendly then she should just not invite her. Controlling others behavior for those reasons is odd. But I have a feeling it's the growing rude trend of pasting everything on youtube like your kids undies or weird party moments your kid might not want shared.
Good points.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:00 AM

36,217 posts, read 30,664,456 times
I only read thru the first page and 1/2 and was floored by the number of mothers who would not allow their child to go to a sleep over without constant access to their cell phone. Im from the pre cell phone era and cant imagine why teens and pre teens need to be plugged in 24/7. If it were me, I would also have a no cell rule. I've had groups of teens over around the fire pit when my gson is with me and 3/4 of them will be carrying on "conversations" with ppl on their cells. Whats the point of getting together with friends, sleepovers, camp fires if you dont even communicate with those you are with. Might as well stay home and text all your friends from your own room.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:16 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,958,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post

Oh the horrors!!!!!!!!!
Someone taking pictures and videos of an event so they can capture and share those memories.

Why are you so bothered about someone seeing a picture of you or you in a video?
My swim team did that in high school, they got me in a horrible picture where my hair was wet and make-up smeared and making some funny face after I had gotten out of the pool, instead of having an aneurysm I laughed it off.

Do you have a horn growing from your head or something?
A tail maybe?
Did you hair get cut in the dark?
I doubt you're ugly, so what's the big deal?

Last edited by JustJulia; 03-07-2012 at 08:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting