Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 05:49 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
Parents are in a catch 22.

If you don't let them out for free play once they are school age, you are a bad parent.

If you let them out and something happens, why weren't you watching them like a hawk every second?

If you watch them like a hawk, why aren't you letting the kids be kids? Stupid helicopter parents.

Agh.
Absolutely. But being overly critical is part of what being an American is all about. You either find something to criticize someone for, or you just aren't making your mark (for better or worse) on society, which is presumably a bad thing in any case.

I'm a criticizer, too. I happen to think that the reason parents didn't "hover" over their children when I was a kid is because they were lazy.

I say you go play WITH them. This way, it's still hovering but it doesn't LOOK like it - and we all know that looks are all that matters. Kids do not need to be outside for hours at a time everyday, so it should be doable. My son (18 months) and I have already started playing catch inside so that soon after he turns two, we can go outside and learn tackle football.

Obviously, I'm joking.

Rugby, is what I meant to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 07:14 PM

4 posts, read 3,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Prompted from the "Importance of Play" thread.

Anyone else (any other parents) notice kids "these days" don't seem to be outside playing with other kids as much as we seemed to have done when we were kids?

I vividly remember spending hours and hours outside with the neighborhood kids either sports in the street, climbing trees, riding bikes, etc. Nowadays I see one or two kids in the street chit chatting on their cell phones, maybe shooting hoops once in while.

Kids today only seem to be outside for maybe 30-60 minutes because, it seems, their moms have to be there too. The limiter is the moms' time as the moms don't like standing outside (with their arms folded - body language) talking to other moms about trivial things.

The rest of the time the kids are watching TV, playing video games, eating junk, etc. and my suspicion is because the moms would rather be inside on Facebook.

My wife and I will sometimes stand out in the front yard on beautiful 70F days in February (very common) and not see a single kid out playing. What the heck is up with that?

By the way, I have four girls 1999, 2001, 2003, and 2007.

Sound about right?
Kids don't have to play outside these days. Parents are protective due to predators, so they don't allow kids out of their site. Also, with today's technology, kids can entertain themselves. I wish it was 1975 again and a kid could be a kid. I remember staying out down the street playing football with my friends. My mom never worried because every grown up in the neighborhood kept an eye out for everyone's child. As long as I got home before the street lights came on, I was okay with mom and dad.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:00 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thank_Q View Post
Kids don't have to play outside these days. Parents are protective due to predators, so they don't allow kids out of their site. Also, with today's technology, kids can entertain themselves. I wish it was 1975 again and a kid could be a kid. I remember staying out down the street playing football with my friends. My mom never worried because every grown up in the neighborhood kept an eye out for everyone's child. As long as I got home before the street lights came on, I was okay with mom and dad.
I was born in 1980. By the time I was around, say, 6, I was kicked out of the house after breakfast. I came home for lunch, then it was back out until dusk. We weren't allowed off the block, but basically we ran wild all day.

It was fabulous.

I think kids miss out on so much now. We learned to resolve our own conflicts without any prodding from adults. We learned to communicate, compromise, and how to turn a jungle gym into a rocket ship.

I don't think the solution is for the parents to be out there playing with the kids. It's boring for the parents and stifling for the kids. I don't think parents can 'play' with kids without trying to control the activity on some level. Would my mom had been able to sit through six hours of playing 'Jane, world famous cook and spy?' Or play such inventive games as 'hide from people and cars?' When children play together, they do so in a different way then parents play with kids.

And the thing is...there aren't more predators now than there were in 1975 or 1986. Violent crime against children is down and the reality is that most child abductions are committed by people known to the child, not strangers. Is it better to avoid the miniscule risk of a crime or the much greater risk that the child who sits at a computer all day will grow up obese and die young? Or that the child who is hovered over will never develop social and problem solving skills and will have a nervous breakdown their first week in college?

Old 03-26-2012, 11:17 PM

973 posts, read 2,141,172 times
Hubby & I have complained we don't see enough people outside here on a nice day. We went walking w/ the kids & dogs, & hardly anyone else was out. However, in our neighborhood, we have a boat load of kids. There are a bunch that are 5-10yo (my kids are 7 & 8) , so, they have plenty of playmates. =) My across the street neighbor was out w/ her boyfriend until after dark, & my son was riding his bike over their ramp w/ her son, & 3 other friends. =)

When it gets 'busy', I'll have 20 or more kids in our front yard & sidewalk, boys & girls, all around the same age. The kids all live w/in a few homes of each other, go to school together, boy & girl scouts, &, the sports, we have so many kids, most leagues have a 'team' w/ kids from our neighborhood. & I know all the parents too. I really love it here. =)

Old 03-27-2012, 12:20 PM

152 posts, read 150,624 times
I can remember as a kid being locked outside during nice days and told to go play. Usually we lived near woods etc and me and my brother would entertain ourselves for hours on end. My kids love going outside 5 year old can be trusted to not run off but not 3 year old he is very adventurous so gotta keep quick eye on him lol...they love the woods and their 4 wheelers...I love living in the country.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:30 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I was born in 1980. By the time I was around, say, 6, I was kicked out of the house after breakfast. I came home for lunch, then it was back out until dusk. We weren't allowed off the block, but basically we ran wild all day.

It was fabulous.

I think kids miss out on so much now. We learned to resolve our own conflicts without any prodding from adults. We learned to communicate, compromise, and how to turn a jungle gym into a rocket ship.

I don't think the solution is for the parents to be out there playing with the kids.

My solution is here is the walkie talkie. Leave it on so I can call you when dinner is ready.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:11 AM

973 posts, read 2,141,172 times
Lol we had 7 boys playing football this evening with hubby in our front yard, and 5 girls playing soccer with our neighbors hubby in their front yard. Tomorrow is scouts for the boys.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post

I don't think the solution is for the parents to be out there playing with the kids. It's boring for the parents and stifling for the kids. I don't think parents can 'play' with kids without trying to control the activity on some level.
Sure they can. It might be harder for some parents to do than for others, but it's not impossible. Might even foster the bond between parent and child. And besides, kids can still play without an adult inside or other places where it's generally safe to play. In the middle of a park, with the adult watching from a park bench. Of course, yes, I do also think it's a good idea to establish boundaries there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
My solution is here is the walkie talkie. Leave it on so I can call you when dinner is ready.
Ehh, maybe it'd be a deterrent. But then, maybe some kidnappers would just assume that another kid had the other walkie talkie. Unless there's a GPS connected to it, it's not actually much protection either.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:35 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Ehh, maybe it'd be a deterrent. But then, maybe some kidnappers would just assume that another kid had the other walkie talkie. Unless there's a GPS connected to it, it's not actually much protection either.

We're talking about kidnapping? The risk is so small that I am not keeping my kids wrapped in bubble wrap for that. They aren't stupid. Someone they don't know shows up at the playground, they will call.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
We're talking about kidnapping? The risk is so small that I am not keeping my kids wrapped in bubble wrap for that. They aren't stupid. Someone they don't know shows up at the playground, they will call.
No one suggested that you keep them wrapped in bubble wrap, lol. What I do suggest for parents is that they keep their kids in their field of vision in public places, preferably close enough where they can actually do something should someone try and kidnap them. Not all kidnappers employ the "Hey, I got some candy in my car if you wanna come with me and get it" tactic of abduction. Sometimes, kids have little or no TIME to call for help.

Of course, all this depends in part on age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting