U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 06:45 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,396,294 times

Advertisements

Did anyone see this bizarro story on the news about Douglas Kennedy (son of RFK) trying to take his baby outside of the maternity unit? Sorry, I don't care who you are...you don't need to take a 2-day-old baby outside the building for "fresh air".

Quote:
The son of Robert F. Kennedy has been charged with harassment and endangering the welfare of a child for allegedly clashing with two nurses who tried to stop him from taking his 2-day-old baby boy from a Westchester maternity unit, NBC New York has learned.

According to a Mount Kisco, N.Y. police report obtained by NBC New York, Douglas Kennedy, 44, took his baby from the newborn unit of Northern Westchester Hospital on Jan. 7, against the instructions of hospital staff who told him the infant needed to stay there.
Exclusive: RFK's Son Arrested in Westchester Hospital Maternity Unit Clash, Police Say | NBC New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 07:39 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,803,744 times
Good on the hospital for ignoring his celebrity, and protecting the baby. If this moron's baby had been stolen from the hospital, he would be blaming the hospital too. You can't win with entitled idiots like this.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:55 AM

870 posts, read 1,218,443 times
Well why did the baby need to stay? I mean obviously you cant take a baby who is still lo-jacked from the hospital but why were they making the baby stay? 2 days old seems (and is in most cases) old enough to go home. So what was the problem? Because they had not decided to let him leave yet. The kid was probably getting discharged in the morning anyway. And yes it is the hospitals responsibility to protect the infant from being kidnapped, but this was his father. And yes they have a responsibility to ptotect the child if leaving would have endangered him but according to the article he was a healthy infant who was 2 days old. He was absolutely out of line hitting or even touching a nurse, which he should have to answer for in court but I dont agree with the child endangerment charges, as I dont believe their was a danger at all.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:00 AM

9,018 posts, read 7,959,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Did anyone see this bizarro story on the news about Douglas Kennedy (son of RFK) trying to take his baby outside of the maternity unit? Sorry, I don't care who you are...you don't need to take a 2-day-old baby outside the building for "fresh air".

Exclusive: RFK's Son Arrested in Westchester Hospital Maternity Unit Clash, Police Say | NBC New York
Well I think there's 2 sides to this story.
If the baby's healthy he should have just signed the baby out of the hospital.
Many times the hospitals send the infants home with the moms within 24 hours.
So him taking the baby out for fresh air wasn't such a crazy notion.
I think the nurses set him up, actually. They smell money. And of course, now they have lawyers representing them. One nurse claims he twisted her arm. Is that on camera?? They ambushed him at the elevator, and coincidentally what they are accusing him of isn't on camera.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:03 AM

So when someone (doesn't matter who) walks into a newborn nursery, picks up a baby, and walks out of the hospital against direct instructions of the staff, you guys have no problem with that?

You can't make judgements that the baby should have been discharged already, etc, that is irrelevant. We don't know why they were still in the hospital.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:07 AM

Of course anyone should not just pick up a baby and leave. For crying out loud that is just ridiculous. But he was the father and say what you want, that does matter. The hospital should not be able to tell the parents that a healthy child cant leave the hospital. If there was a medical issue that the hospital would have had a responsibility to keep the child in the hospital for, that would have been acceptable that they wouldnt let him leave. But according to the article he was healthy. There is no reason under the sun a hospital should tell a parent they cant take their healthy child from the hospital. It isnt a prison. Its voluntary health care.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:13 AM

Do you have any idea what kind of precedent this sets if he wins this?

I have worked on L&D and Pediatrics, and you have no idea how complicated custody and visiting arrangements get. About half of the patients have no visitor orders against the other parent, no phone calls from x, y, and z. And in many cases documentation is present that the other parents is not even aware of, such as the custodial parent allows visitation from the other parent, but only under direct supervision that the other parent is not aware of. It is extremely complicated knowing the family dynamic and intricacies of each case. And you are correct, it is not a prison, and the nurses are not the police, which is exactly why they have a blanket rule in place. Newborns stay in the hospital until they are discharged.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:16 AM

Which I think is BS. The hospital shouldnt be able to keep my child against my wishes just because the dr hasnt gotten to me. Sorry but thats how I feel. I sat in the hospital for 8 hrs ready to go when my son was born because we were ready to go and told we were getting ready to leave. But the dr didnt show up for 8 hrs. Really just take the stupid lo-jack of my son and let me leave.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:24 AM

Well the mother wasn't involved in this incident. And we don't know the discharge status, only that the father wanted to take the baby for a walk outside the hospital. Until the baby is officially discharged the hospital is legally responsible for the wellbeing of the baby.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:28 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,677,768 times
If newborns are required to stay in the hospital til discharged, then the hospital should be eating the cost of keeping the kid there. You want responsibility for my kid? Take it then. And take financial responsibility too. When you tell me I'm allowed to remove my own child from your property, I will take any subsequent responsibility, financial and otherwise. And if my child is breastfeeding on demand and requires me to stay in the hospital with her, you can pay MY hospital bills while I'm there too. Me + Kid = One Unit. You kidnap my kid, then you kidnap me too. And cover the costs of both.

I would be ALL over that if someone tried to tell me I wasn't -allowed- to bring my own healthy newborn child out of a building to get some fresh air. I'd demand that they set us both up in a suite with room service and a mani-pedi and daily massages for mommy and child. And that food better be edible or I'll bring in my own personal chef and they can foot the bill for that too.

Or - they can step aside and allow me to bring -my- child out of their building for some fresh air.

It used to be, hospitals had yards and screened solariums where patients could enjoy fresh air. Hell, they used to be able to smoke in the yards and solariums too. Yes, the hospital needs to keep track of who's there and who isn't and the whereabouts of each patient at all times. I get that. And Kennedy should've signed the baby out for 20 minutes, if that's all he wanted to do. But it sounds like the hospital had a policy forbidding even that.

Ridiculous policy. Kennedy should definitely fight it, but he seems to have gone about it in the wrong way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or