Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 04:21 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times

Advertisements

"The "True Romance" thing is a myth"

I used to feel that way too. It is not a myth. I am having the best romance of my life, with a man 25 years older than me. He treats me like a queen. We need to look beyond age in relationships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 04:44 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Some girls like authority figures.
If they TRULY weren't involved then there really shouldn't be any concern.
Nothing is going to be proven anyways from this.

And your career should not define you or limit you, if you had a student who was your age and you were attracted and then they were out of your class the next semester, well no longer your student and outside of work you're a person, both just two people.

I have been attracted to bosses before, some where that much other than me, same goes for co-workers, I have had some hot co-workers before, in retail your managers aren't much older if older at all. People can't help who they are attracted to and you don't date AT work, you do it outside of work, where you aren't John and Jane the sales associates, you're just two people who like each other.

Not really, we're talking about
I understand that life happens. This is why ethics codes exist. If one doesn't want to be bound by an ethics code, pick a profession that doesn't have one is how I feel about it.

As a side note, on the other hand, I used to have neighbors who met because he was a teacher and she a student (not his, but same school). After she graduated, they dated and got married. They just celebrated their 30th anniversary. They are lovely people. So, I guess one never knows.

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 03-03-2012 at 05:24 PM..

Old 03-03-2012, 04:53 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Honestly, it seems like they waited till she was old enough to do anything more than talk.
And honeslty, it seems like this girl is using him to get out of her mom's house.

Her daughter is 18 and she's going to great lengths to still control things. I don't blame her for wanting out.
Well, that's an interesting viewpoint.

And I can see where you would reach that conclusion knowing how controlling you think your own mother is. Seems logical you would see this mother as controlling as well.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 03-03-2012 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: Brevity

Old 03-03-2012, 05:31 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
"The "True Romance" thing is a myth"

I used to feel that way too. It is not a myth. I am having the best romance of my life, with a man 25 years older than me. He treats me like a queen. We need to look beyond age in relationships.
Was this man your high school teacher, though?

This is different though than someone dating their teacher. The relationship of teacher and student has a large imbalance of power. Students are immature and the teacher is taking advantage of that. The student is often emotionally vulnerable and the teacher is breaking the student's trust.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:10 PM

458 posts, read 611,194 times
Putting aside age..........as if........

Wishing an adulterer well????

Did I just read that?

Old 03-05-2012, 07:29 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
California High School Teacher-Student Romance: Therapist Calls Man 'Sexual Predator' - Yahoo!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:56 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,008 times
If it were my daughter the teacher would suffer an unfortunate accident. No authorities need not be involved

Old 03-05-2012, 09:39 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,398,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It looks unhealthy, for sure, but the girl is over 18 . . . and mom needs to back off and let daughter make her own mistakes. Seems things have moved on too far for parental intervention (legally) = and all mom is gonna do is alienate her daughter at this point. The best thing the family can do now is be supportive to their daughter. Demonizing her live-in SO at this stage is not gonna do a thing but create hostility if this girl is determined to marry her former teacher. I frankly wonder why they haven't gotten married already.
Honestly I will not be a supportative sister if this was my sister doing this. I will be angry at the both of them. I think it's intereting how they (the student and the teacher) decided to follow their heart. To me, it shows immaturity and the inability to think logically. She can't be with him no matter what. He's MARRIED and there's nothing she can do..even if she graduated from high school. How can you, as a husband and a father, leave your family for a shallow and temporary relationship for your student?

She recently said that he is not only a lover but her bestfriend. If their relationship began 4 years ago when she was a freshmen, it perhaps says a lot about how much she disclose information about herself to him.

I was also reading some of the comments on msn and they read other articles about this story. The other aricles mention that her dad passed away when she was young, and her mom's fiance is now living with them. Not so much of a positive influence there. I think she might be looking for a father figure who happens to be her teacher. If this is true, the teacher had just manipulated her and think that he can fill up that empty void by becoming her "lover".

Old 03-05-2012, 10:19 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
In all of this, the man is denying the pain he is putting his children through.

Tammie's mom has a lot of evidence against him and is gathering more

Modesto mom vows to 'get' teacher who's living with her daughter, 18 - latimes.com

Quote:
In an interview this week with Nancy Grace, Tammie Powers said she has more than 8,000 text messages and is trying to gather other evidence. She said Hooker booked a hotel room using his school-issued email address, but her daughter was 18 at the time.
He is appearing on many media shows and basking in the spotlight. He wants to be paid for his appearances too.

James Hooker continues to milk his relationship – Celebzter.com - Redefining Entertainment Culture (http://celebzter.com/james-hooker-continues-to-milk-his-relationship/ - broken link)

Quote:
“We have to stay exclusive with them,” Powers said, but added after their run on “Good Morning America” is done they are scheduled to appear on NBC’s “Today Show” as well as a CBS affiliate. The “Dr. Phil” and “Inside Edition” shows also want them.

None of the shows is paying them, which Powers didn’t think is right. But she feels their side needs to be told to counter widespread disapproval and criticism led by her mother, Tammie Powers. “We’re just trying to get the story out,” Jordan Powers said.
Another interesting fact:

Jordan Powers, 18, moves in with James Hooker, 41, after he quits teaching job | Mail Online

Quote:
Mr Hooker was placed on administrative leave on February 3 by Modesto High Schools before resigning a few weeks later.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:59 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRice View Post
Honestly I will not be a supportative sister if this was my sister doing this. I will be angry at the both of them. I think it's intereting how they (the student and the teacher) decided to follow their heart. To me, it shows immaturity and the inability to think logically. She can't be with him no matter what. He's MARRIED and there's nothing she can do..even if she graduated from high school. How can you, as a husband and a father, leave your family for a shallow and temporary relationship for your student?

She recently said that he is not only a lover but her bestfriend. If their relationship began 4 years ago when she was a freshmen, it perhaps says a lot about how much she disclose information about herself to him.

I was also reading some of the comments on msn and they read other articles about this story. The other aricles mention that her dad passed away when she was young, and her mom's fiance is now living with them. Not so much of a positive influence there. I think she might be looking for a father figure who happens to be her teacher. If this is true, the teacher had just manipulated her and think that he can fill up that empty void by becoming her "lover".
Two folks have commented to my post saying about the same type of thing.

My point is . . . what good is it going to do now to intervene? The toothpaste is out of the tube. The daughter is living w/ her former teacher. All this is doing is creating alienation between a mother and a daughter.

Of course you would be angry. I think 99.9% of parents would be very angry about such a situation. I know I would be angry and upset - feeling that my daughter had been manipulated at a young age into a relationship with someone who was in a position of power over her. I would feel the same way if my 35 year old daughter ended up in a relationship with her boss. Anytime someone more powerful (especially someone who presents himself as "older and wiser") manipulates our kids - we should be wary.

However, my point is . . . this young woman needs her mother's love and support now more than ever, not her condemnation and wrath. All the mom is doing is guaranteeing that the daughter is gonna cling even more to her boyfriend - and come to despise her mother. Half of all marriages end in divorce anyway - so the chances are good that someday, this young woman may realize she made a mistake. Her mom should be the person she turns to for support at that time . . . but as it is now . . . this young woman will probably remain in the relationship just to prove to her mom "how wrong she was."

That is why I feel it is a big mistake for the mom to be making a huge issue out of this NOW. It is a bit late. Intervening BEFORE her daughter turned 18 and moved in with the guy would have been the time to exercise her legal parental rights.

That is all I am saying. I think the teacher is a ******** for leaving his wife and kids and the thought of being with a man who has a daughter my age is creepy. I don't endorse the behavior, but I feel the mom missed the window of opportunity for intervening . . . so she should now back off and let her daughter know that she will always be there for her, even tho she disapproves of the man she is involved with. And if I were mom, I would be praying that my daughter would come to her senses and see that this was not the right relationship for her - and leave the guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting