Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 10:04 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I personally would not. My kids are all athletes and all started school on time. However, I do not think that it is "sick" if someone else makes that decision.

Couldn't you say the same for the family hoping for an academic scholarship? You can't tell if they are going to be a college athlete when they are 5. But you also can't tell if a child is going to be a genius when they are 5.

So if it is "sick" to hold a child back for athletics why isn't it also "sick" to do so for academic reasons?
Because most of us would not want our children to fall behind academically...and aren't hugely concerned with their development athletically. I place a higher priority on academics than I do with athletics, but that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 10:22 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Because most of us would not want our children to fall behind academically...and aren't hugely concerned with their development athletically. I place a higher priority on academics than I do with athletics, but that's just me.
Does that make it "sick" to consider athletics at all?

My oldest has been accepted to US Naval Academy. He may not be able to attend because of a medical issue but he was accepted. He is NOT a recruited athlete there. Having athletics on the resume IN ADDITION to academics is a big part of having a competitive application at any of the service academies.

Students that participate in extra curricular activities (not just sports) have better grades and higher standardized test scores than students that do not.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...-e1sk56sIXi38Q

considering what ECAs a child might be good at and putting them in a position to succeed is not "sick".

Just to be clear-my own children DID NOT START SCHOOL LATE so I am not trying to justify my own actions. However, my kids do participate in athletics and have many friends that received some sort of advantage from their athletic participation. For some kids it was preference in admissions, for others it was scholarship money. However, athletics should not be poo pooed as completely unimportant to students.

ECAs should not be the number one on a students' priority list, but it doesn't have to be last on the list either. It is not "sick" to consider a child's talents when planning for their education.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:59 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
I agree with Momma Bear, I don't see it as "sick." Especially if you have a small boy who will constantly be at a disadvantage in sports because of his small size. If he doesn't like participating in sports it wouldn't be an issue but if he was a little athletic guy it would. Age has to do with coordination as well, if they are into sports of course you'd think about what would give them the most advantage.
Some kids are talented in sports, music, not just math or science. Lucky for us because we spend an awful lot of time watching them all on television. Everyone has different interest, different areas they excel at. NBD.

I think it's individual, and I think this issue is blown way out of proportion. A couple of months doesn't make a difference. You might attach problems to it, down the road, but that doesn't make it so. Either way, sending them early, on time, or late to kindergarten isn't a big deal to me at all, IMO.
It just seems to be something to talk about to much, analyze to much and then divide up into sides over for the parents. I don't really think the kids care that much unless you give the issue to them to care about, IMO. Hyper parenting is stressful, I don't recommend it.

You can't red shirt kids in sports now, they ask for birth records. Even if it's for 1st grade soccer. LMAO, it's like major leagues. I don't have a problem with any of it, sports or school. Red shirt away. What ever works for you. Do it while you still can.

Like I said on the education thread on this subject, lets just test them into kindergarten and weigh them for sports. Forget age. That would make things a little easier. That way it would be "Even Steven" lol No problems.
This age thing has been a marker that hasn't really worked out since the beginning. Grades should be passed, regardless of age. Putting so much importance on age, IMO, is useless worry. It was an implanted worry in the first place.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:05 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I personally would not. My kids are all athletes and all started school on time. However, I do not think that it is "sick" if someone else makes that decision.

Couldn't you say the same for the family hoping for an academic scholarship? You can't tell if they are going to be a college athlete when they are 5. But you also can't tell if a child is going to be a genius when they are 5.

So if it is "sick" to hold a child back for athletics why isn't it also "sick" to do so for academic reasons?
Just to be clear, I'm not the one who called it sick. I just don't understand the logic. One would think you'd hold a kid back if they were a little behind socially, or academically, not because they were advanced, and you wanted them to have an even bigger advantage. Same with athletics. Where does the hope of a scholarship come into it??? If the child is being held back because they are behind, I doubt the parents are hoping for a scholarship. More likely they are just hoping their kid will be able to keep up.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I agree with Momma Bear, I don't see it as "sick." Especially if you have a small boy who will constantly be at a disadvantage in sports because of his small size. If he doesn't like participating in sports it wouldn't be an issue but if he was a little athletic guy it would. Age has to do with coordination as well, if they are into sports of course you'd think about what would give them the most advantage.
Some kids are talented in sports, music, not just math or science. Lucky for us because we spend an awful lot of time watching them all on television. Everyone has different interest, different areas they excel at. NBD.

I think it's individual, and I think this issue is blown way out of proportion. A couple of months doesn't make a difference. You might attach problems to it, down the road, but that doesn't make it so. Either way, sending them early, on time, or late to kindergarten isn't a big deal to me at all, IMO.
It just seems to be something to talk about to much, analyze to much and then divide up into sides over for the parents. I don't really think the kids care that much unless you give the issue to them to care about, IMO. Hyper parenting is stressful, I don't recommend it.

You can't red shirt kids in sports now, they ask for birth records. Even if it's for 1st grade soccer. LMAO, it's like major leagues. I don't have a problem with any of it, sports or school. Red shirt away. What ever works for you. Do it while you still can.

Like I said on the education thread on this subject, lets just test them into kindergarten and weigh them for sports. Forget age. That would make things a little easier. That way it would be "Even Steven" lol No problems.
This age thing has been a marker that hasn't really worked out since the beginning. Grades should be passed, regardless of age. Putting so much importance on age, IMO, is useless worry. It was an implanted worry in the first place.
However, it is different in middle/high school where it goes by grade level. We were talking about this on the ed forum as well, and someone brought up the age limits of high school participation. In Colorado, it appears to be OK if the student turns 19 after August 1 of the upcoming school year.
http://www.chsaa.org/about/pdf/Handbook_2011.pdf (broken link)
(See p. 53)

Old 03-10-2012, 01:40 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
However, it is different in middle/high school where it goes by grade level. We were talking about this on the ed forum as well, and someone brought up the age limits of high school participation. In Colorado, it appears to be OK if the student turns 19 after August 1 of the upcoming school year.
http://www.chsaa.org/about/pdf/Handbook_2011.pdf (broken link)
(See p. 53)
For a second I thought my 8 year old would be ineligible to play his senior year. I think I was wrong. My kids will be 18 for their entire senior year, then turn 19 just before and just after starting college. This refers to someone who turns 19 before Aug 1 prior to their senior year. that would be the equivalent of being held back twice.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
For a second I thought my 8 year old would be ineligible to play his senior year. I think I was wrong. My kids will be 18 for their entire senior year, then turn 19 just before and just after starting college. This refers to someone who turns 19 before Aug 1 prior to their senior year. that would be the equivalent of being held back twice.
Exactly!

Old 03-11-2012, 12:37 AM

652 posts, read 1,052,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeas View Post
I posted this in the education forum but I thought I would try here as well.

I have a 4 1/2 yr old daughter with a june 1st B-Day. She has been so sensitive, it has always been a challenge with her moving up classrooms in the daycare she has been in - she would always just play be herself for the 1st 4 months!

I saw a program on redshirting on 60 minutes last night that go me thinking. They laid out pros and cons...

it seems with summer B-days it is a good idea if you have a child that needs more than the other kids - if they are a year older that helps them.

I took 2 kindergardens and I turned out pretty good. Do you think repeating kidnergarden instead of waiting for a year is a better recourse?

just wanted thoughts and opionions. Who should I talk to? The elementary school that she would be starting at? or a conselour? her pre-K teacher?
All but one of us in our family have bdays later than June 1st, and we all started school on time(both me and my spouse, and one of our kids).

I haven't read all the responses, but my view on this is to start kids on time, unless there is a really compelling reason not to.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:55 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
My father is a retired teacher and he felt quite strongly that my son should go to school when he was ready and on time. The problem with holding back in a small town - is that all their friends are going ahead. That's hard too.

He remembers the days when being 'held back' was a terrible thing for a child and the worst thing that could happen!

Nor did he believe that being the biggest kid in class is necessarily a good thing - lest you were planning on the whole captain of the football thing.

I think it's a mixed bag. My child went on time and is thriving with good grades and a good sport. Yet, HE tells me that he wishes I had held him back so he wouldn't be the youngest in the class. He couldn't even work last year because he wasn't 16 and had no way to get to/from a job. WELL, he could have taught swim lessons but working with young kids is not his strong suit.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:37 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Just to be clear, I'm not the one who called it sick. I just don't understand the logic. One would think you'd hold a kid back if they were a little behind socially, or academically, not because they were advanced, and you wanted them to have an even bigger advantage. Same with athletics. Where does the hope of a scholarship come into it??? If the child is being held back because they are behind, I doubt the parents are hoping for a scholarship. More likely they are just hoping their kid will be able to keep up.
The logic is that if a child is in HS from ages 15-19 instead of ages 14-18 he will have a better showing in athletics and attract the attention of college coaches by virtue of his superior physical development. I saw this last summer as my son went to quite a few football camps. He was competing against young men that were 19 while he was only 17. It makes a difference.

I did not do this with my kids but I don't consider those who do to be "sick". It's just a decision they made that they thought would be in their child's best interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting