Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 01:47 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
my feelings exactly...........................
That is the one thing that can be knocked about all beauty pageants, no matter the age. I know a teenage girl (who just won a high profile title in pageantry) who I once heard comparing the merits of the Miss America circuit to the Miss USA one. She was whining that the Miss America pageant required a talent, had a more heavily weighed interview, and factored in her grades when scoring her. She said that she felt the USA circuit was better because it was "really what being a woman was all about."

It took a lot of will power not to get up and smack her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 02:45 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
I think that it is pretty awful to have toddlers and young children competing in pageants. Here are a few of the things that have been seen at them.

The whys and woes of beauty pageants

Come on people, how can a 2 year old have a *life's ambition?*

Quote:
When some of the children lost baby teeth that had not been replaced by pageant time, their parents fit them with false teeth. When a girl’s hair was too short to curl like Barbie’s, fake additions were fitted.
If a child wants to compete, that is one thing, but 2 to 6 year olds? They don't really want to do this, they want to please their moms. They might like to dress up and to put on makeup, but competing in general is not something toddlers need or want. Heck, they need to learn to share and cooperate more than they need to learn to compete.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:48 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
I worry about the parents putting their girls on diets or leading them to believe they are valued for their looks. What a way to screw up a girl. Eating disorders in the making...

Old 03-07-2012, 03:24 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,693 times
I think like a lot of things, certain people overdo it and take it to the extreme. I allowed my dd to participate in a mall pageant, only because there was no makeup allowed on children under 6. She wore a 22 dollar dress and her hair in ponytails...and she won! And she had a great time as well. That's the only kind of pageant I would put her in. The glitzy ones are out of control. Even if the prizes were scholarships or significant savings bonds or something, it would make sense, but all that for a crown, a trophy, and bragging rights that will mean nothing in the future is just stupid imho.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:04 PM

42 posts, read 46,783 times
Kids must be kids. We must let them enjoy their childhood. This beauty pageants are only for parent's satisfaction and pride. It must be ban.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:12 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Do the French know something we don't know? I personally think beauty pageants for kids do more harm than good and there is no regulating the good taste and proper parenting of the parents involved in them. But should we consider banning them or regulating them more?

World News - French report: Ban child beauty pageants, padded bras for little girls
I'd say go ahead and ban them. What good do they really do?

Old 03-07-2012, 04:16 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'd say go ahead and ban them. What good do they really do?
I think they are horrible and disgusting, but if we start banning everything someone finds objectionable, that's going down a dark path.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:23 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
So if you legislate the behavior of the moron parents, the parents are still morons. To what end?

Old 03-08-2012, 09:37 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I think like a lot of things, certain people overdo it and take it to the extreme. I allowed my dd to participate in a mall pageant, only because there was no makeup allowed on children under 6. She wore a 22 dollar dress and her hair in ponytails...and she won! And she had a great time as well. That's the only kind of pageant I would put her in. The glitzy ones are out of control. Even if the prizes were scholarships or significant savings bonds or something, it would make sense, but all that for a crown, a trophy, and bragging rights that will mean nothing in the future is just stupid imho.
I agree. We put the kiddo in a few non-glitz pagents when she was very young and she won two of them, and has 2 $500 scholarship bonds for our local CC when she is the age to go, so IMO the pagents paid for themselves and then some.

She didn't want to do ANY from about 5 or so till this past Halloween, when she asked is she could do our local teen miss county fair pagent this summer. We will let her, cause she asked to do it, and frankly she's gorgeous and has a good chance of winning, but if she doesn't no biggies either ya know?

Old 03-09-2012, 06:12 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
good for them . I find the pageants disgusting personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting