Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 10:46 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,944,891 times

Advertisements

Anything you do in life is what you make of it. Someone can have all the degrees, or technical skill in the world and be out of work and on the street.

You have some skills and are employed. Be proud of that! Don't worry about living up to other's expectations. Also, don't be insulted if they push and encourage you to greater heights. They do it out of love... but ultimately you are the one that has to live your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 10:47 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,246,340 times
If I were you, as you state that you are interested in this EMT thing, I would use this as the first step in some level of medical career even at the community college level where you can become an LPN or RN as opposed to coming out with a liberal arts degree. Men in the field are in demand. Switch majors as soon as possible.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:38 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,042,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Tell your dad to suck it. He'll respect you for it in the long run.
And probably cut him off with all of the money for food and books.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:49 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,614,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
And probably cut him off with all of the money for food and books.
Doubtful. I think if they have a healthy relationship the father won't try to use money to manipulate his son. He will probably respect his son for working for his money in the long run. He will even be proud that he's doing a dangerous job once he gets used to the idea.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:41 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,609,002 times
Several of my friends were EMT's in college and they later went on to medical school. It's great practical training and a huge benefit when applying. Some parents are old-fashioned or naive on what it takes to get into top grad schools, so be polite but follow your own path. I remember one of my suite-mates was facing pressure to take a full-time managerial position at TJ Maxx (with health benefits & pension!) on graduation instead of an internship at Bain. He's now pulling down $$$$ working PE deals so he's kind of glad he didn't heed his mom's advise.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:45 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,099,791 times
I think it is a good job. I'm not sure what your parent's issue with it might be, especially since you say it is a temporary job while you're going to school.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:53 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,958,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
It's no secret that sometimes parents and children don't see eye to eye on situations, I'm no different. Apparently my parents do not approve of me becoming an EMT while in college, even though I haven't been able to find a job to pay for some of my own expenses ( this is something really important to me, as I moved out my parents house yet they still lend me money to pay for my own expenses (such as food and other accommodations). As of this time it's really impossible for me to find any sort of job (even minimum wage, which always tell me they aren't hiring). It's tough because my parents have an issue with the expenses for groceries and text books ( I even resorted to having to bring my clothes back home to my family house to wash them to save money).

My Dad told me he didn't want me to work asan EMT because it's dangerous work and he doesn't want me in harm's way. I understand where he's coming from, but even after internships, volunteering, and many other career related activities I haven't been able to put myself in a position where I can at least depend on myself. I volunteer part time to gain experience, and it sucks sometimes, especially when you have people yell at you (I come home sore after work) but I like that I'm doing positive things in the community instead of other things.

I'm getting my associate's at a community college (planning on getting my Bachelor's in Liberal Arts), because I'm not too sure what I should study. So my parents just tell me to get my degree in Liberal Arts so I'm just going to do what they say there because I'm not a big fan of college

Sorry if I seemed like I was ranting but I feel like my parents are giving me more problems than supporting me. I love them and everything, but it's starting to get to the point where I just can't agree with them on anything anymore.
I outta strangle you.
No really....
Ever see what an elephant can do to an ostrich?

Anyways...

It's your life, it's your career, it's your mouth you need to feed.

Who gives a damn if they don't like your career choice? Are you going to let them pick your husband too? Pick your house? Name your children?

No live your life for yourself, if you want to become an EMT, become an EMT, if you want to get a different degree, get a different degree.

Do you know why you don't like college? Because you aren't taking the classes YOU want to.

Its your education, it's your life, take control of it.
Ok, so they don't like it, it's not disrespectful to make your own life choices as an adult, you aren't 12 so quit living for mommy and daddy and do what makes YOU happy. YOU have to live your life not them.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:57 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,958,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
This is why I think college is a waste of time and money. I know people who have gone to and graduated from college, they ended up with debt and still couldn't get a job! Other people I know didn't go to college, but started work right away and they're doing quite well.

But I understand your parents' disapproval. This sounds like a dangerous job.
Oh well if its so dangerous then no one should do it.
So when you get stuck in a fire, well sorry its too dangerous to save you....

I respect the men and women who put their lives in the line to save people.
They are needed and if this young man/woman IDK is willing to become one of those brave EMT's then more power to him.

And yes most EMTs are with a fire department, some are with private companies.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:02 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,281,021 times
That is funny. My Mom was not thrilled with my career choice either, she thought it was stupid, and that I would never be employed. The "irony" of that, is that I have had a great career, that I love, and make an excellent living. So, follow your dreams!!!

Old 03-07-2012, 06:28 PM

244 posts, read 706,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I outta strangle you.
No really....
Ever see what an elephant can do to an ostrich?

Anyways...

It's your life, it's your career, it's your mouth you need to feed.

Who gives a damn if they don't like your career choice? Are you going to let them pick your husband too? Pick your house? Name your children?

No live your life for yourself, if you want to become an EMT, become an EMT, if you want to get a different degree, get a different degree.

Do you know why you don't like college? Because you aren't taking the classes YOU want to.

Its your education, it's your life, take control of it.
Ok, so they don't like it, it's not disrespectful to make your own life choices as an adult, you aren't 12 so quit living for mommy and daddy and do what makes YOU happy. YOU have to live your life not them.
I agree with you on that fact, as far as I'm concerned I do take some classes I enjoy doing, but always balance them with the core courses I'm required to take (such as English, Math, History, Science, electives,etc) So I do take a good amount of time in picking one course every semester that I enjoy or am interested in.

My main plan is to become a Paramedic, and get my Bachelors in Liberal Arts then go on to get my Master's when I feel as though there's something worse pursuing in the future. I have no qualms about getting a Liberal Arts degree, people prefer Master's degrees.

I love writing, but I do so during my free time. My main focus is getting suited into a career that I can support myself at my age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting