Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 03:10 PM
es. es. started this thread

3 posts, read 3,643 times

Advertisements

This is the first time I've posted here, though I've been meaning to for a while. I was hoping for some input on your experiences as the parent who spends the most time with the kids in your family (or the one who doesn't). We have an 8yo daughter and 4yo son, I do some part time work but I'm mostly a SAHM. So I spend more time with the kids than my husband.

And I can't help but notice that 'getting things done' takes so much longer when it's just the kids and I, I get so many more whhhhhhys and nooooos, way more out of control moments, more testing/pushing me than my husband gets.

Is this a regular experience for you parents who spend the most time with your kids? (or am I doing something wrong?!) Some days, in those hours between school ending and dad getting home, when no-one has any activities - those days can be tough and then dad walks in the door and out of nowhere we have these 2 little angels in the house. I admit that can be very frustrating.

I don't feel like I'm a big softy compared to hubby, but it can sure be a struggle sometimes to have them listen to me or co-operate. Now hubby is an assistant principal in a school...so, I think he has a few more trade secrets when it comes to kids than I do. When he's firm with our kids, he's firm for about 5 seconds and that sorts that out.

This is more an issue with our 8yo, and I am noticing her just trying to push my buttons more and more so I wonder if it's an age thing too.

Do you experience this? Tell me I'm not alone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 03:18 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
You are not alone! We have the same phenomenon in our house. We've actually struggled quite a bit to even things out between the "mean one" (me) and the fun one (dad). When he's home see if he can be the one to enforce the rules and end play time for homework.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:22 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
It's very typical. When Dad comes home, it's like a treat, a highlight in the day for all of you. SO naturally they are going to be happy to see him and happy during that time. He also probably is not going to walk in the door and start enforcing rules and "cracking skulls," so to speak. He's more likely to be sweet and fun and happy since he hasn't seen them all day either.

You know the old saying, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." It works that way with parents and kids too.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:27 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,117 times
Nobody is going to want to hear this, but when my husband was a sah dad for 2 yrs, he still was listened to more than I was. I worked long hours, but I was still the soft place to land. I wonder if it is a male/female thing? *ducks*

Old 03-07-2012, 04:28 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,108 times
My son is almost 18 months and my husband has already said this happens. I don't 'give in' more than he does either. Just another joy of Motherhood. LOL

Old 03-07-2012, 04:30 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by es. View Post
This is the first time I've posted here, though I've been meaning to for a while. I was hoping for some input on your experiences as the parent who spends the most time with the kids in your family (or the one who doesn't). We have an 8yo daughter and 4yo son, I do some part time work but I'm mostly a SAHM. So I spend more time with the kids than my husband.

And I can't help but notice that 'getting things done' takes so much longer when it's just the kids and I, I get so many more whhhhhhys and nooooos, way more out of control moments, more testing/pushing me than my husband gets.

Is this a regular experience for you parents who spend the most time with your kids? (or am I doing something wrong?!) Some days, in those hours between school ending and dad getting home, when no-one has any activities - those days can be tough and then dad walks in the door and out of nowhere we have these 2 little angels in the house. I admit that can be very frustrating.

I don't feel like I'm a big softy compared to hubby, but it can sure be a struggle sometimes to have them listen to me or co-operate. Now hubby is an assistant principal in a school...so, I think he has a few more trade secrets when it comes to kids than I do. When he's firm with our kids, he's firm for about 5 seconds and that sorts that out.

This is more an issue with our 8yo, and I am noticing her just trying to push my buttons more and more so I wonder if it's an age thing too.

Do you experience this? Tell me I'm not alone
8 year olds push more buttons than buddy the elf in an elevator.
Its the age, somewhat.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:32 PM

114 posts, read 231,901 times
i am a stay at home mom and i know excatly what your talking about. gets very upsetting somedays i just wish they would listen to me like they do to him.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:49 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Try being a single mom, where you're mom and dad, you the bad guy and the good guy...
Mass confusion.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
You are not alone! We have the same phenomenon in our house. We've actually struggled quite a bit to even things out between the "mean one" (me) and the fun one (dad). When he's home see if he can be the one to enforce the rules and end play time for homework.
Glad I'm not alone! I definitely feel like the "mean one" sometimes - or, maybe just the "grumpy one" . My husband doesn't shy away from enforcing the rules (though he's better at it in the weekends!) but he's also really looking for some play/down-time when he first gets home. He doesn't want to get dragged into the day's events (unless they're significant), which I agree with, he shouldn't have to deal with something one of the kids did 3 hours ago (and I wouldn't want to tell them "wait until your father gets home!"). I guess it sort of gets to me a little that he'll get to just be fun with them while I'm still in a bit of a mood from the last couple of hours. But I think he needs that too - he works in a bit of a 'bad' school (as in "sorry Jimmy, you'll have to leave the gang paraphernalia in the office") and has many 'interesting' days with those kids so I know he needs to transition from that back to being with his own kids.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Nobody is going to want to hear this, but when my husband was a sah dad for 2 yrs, he still was listened to more than I was. I worked long hours, but I was still the soft place to land. I wonder if it is a male/female thing? *ducks*
Hmm. Well, that's bad news! Though I admit that I have also wondered at times if it is a male/female thing. I've wondered too if it's just a straight personality thing. One of my husband's colleagues once said to me that he has a 'confident personality' (I think she sort of meant 'unwavering') and she thought the kids found that safe - the middle school kids, not our kids. Though then you're talking about kids without a whole lot of stability in their lives to start with...So I don't know if that crosses over into parenting.

So I have no idea whether it's the amount of time you spend, male/female, personality, something completely different...? But like you found out, even when my husband does spend a stretch of time alone with the kids - he doesn't have to deal with the same/same amount of behavior issues that I do. Maybe moms simply are always the soft place to land...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting