U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 07:17 PM

2,763 posts, read 4,096,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I would first ask, what gives the parent the right to intrude upon their child like this? Their body belong to them and no one else. Plus, as it's been mentioned eariler, as the child ages the tatoo will distort, I think it is a very bad idea.
The same could be said for piercing children's ears but yet everyone does that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 07:51 PM

14,884 posts, read 15,580,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
The same could be said for piercing children's ears but yet everyone does that too.
Not everyone.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:52 PM

2,763 posts, read 4,096,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Not everyone.
I was being ambiguous.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:46 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,000,903 times
Quote:
I haven't pierced my daughter's ears and don't plan to until she expresses an interest.

I'd never even consider tat'ing a child. I don't have any experince with medical alerts but I never lost/broke a set of dog tags while in the military so I'd think they are about the same in terms of durablility (?)

I'm wondering if you'd even have toruble finding a shop that would tatoo a minor?

Old 01-02-2018, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 192 times
My 14 year old has had Type 1 Diabetes for 7 years. She has worn the engraving off of two bracelets, and a necklace. She is a straight a student, and very active in sports. I am a nurse and my husband is in law enforcement. She will be getting a very unique Medical Alert Tattoo today, on the inside of her wrist. She is in a high school that offers an associate degree when she graduates, then off to continue her education to become a doctor. I have no problem with a Diabetes Tattoo.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:33 PM

7,766 posts, read 2,011,840 times
Absolutely not! I don't feel it's my place to tattoo my child! If they want to get something like that as an adult then that's their choice, but not mine!

Old 01-04-2018, 09:53 AM

5,557 posts, read 4,079,534 times
Quote:

Not really. Pierced ears aren't visible and will close on their own anyhow. They're hardly a permanent modification.

I'm not overly concerned about the pain or discomfort of applying the tattoo.

My concern about the tattoos is that they won't be looked for OR SEEN, and to Rezfreak's earlier point, as the child's body grows, as they go through chubby phases or thin phases and grow, they won't be legible.

I just think about a kid having an episode on the playground in the winter, where he's wearing a sweatshirt covered by a coat and mittens...Where is this tattoo? His wrist? His chest? Will they see it in time?

I can see this in a situation where a person has sever developmental delays, and not only can't verbalize but may not realize he needs the bracelet on at all times.

Otherwise, I think that some of it is a ploy for attention, some kind of munchausen-by-proxy. The real purpose is for the other parent's to see it on Johnny's chest at the pool.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:36 PM
KCZ

948 posts, read 406,035 times
I want to put in a plug here for a site called Laurens Hope, which sells very attractive medical ID bracelets directed at teenage girls and young women who are reluctant to wear the clunky old-fashioned ones, although they have male stuff too. They have silver, gold, beads, crystals, pearls, etc, and are something that a girl might be more inclined to keep on. The original Lauren was a young girl with diabetes who refused to wear a medical alert bracelet, and LH donates a portion of their proceeds to the JDRF. [Note I have no affiliation with LH and this was a PSA only.] This is a way better alternative to a tattoo, IMHO.

Last edited by KCZ; 01-05-2018 at 04:59 PM..

Old 01-05-2018, 03:43 PM

6,894 posts, read 3,728,485 times
I wouldn't take that choice away a child that is too young to make that decision. Once I felt they aged enough to have a certain amount of maturity and they had a life long life threatening medical condition, I'd allow it.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:21 PM

1,145 posts, read 382,609 times
Bracelet instead of tattoo.
It's like hanging that 'baby onboard' sign on your car and who knows if anyone looks for it. Who knows to look for tattoos and which place they should be? What if you're bleeding or the tattoo is hidden by clothes and it's in the dead of winter. Are rescuers going to pull off clothes to check for a tattoo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting