Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 06:24 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,049 times

Advertisements

I am married but, possibly separated. The wife has 3 kids, 2 of them are stepkids and 1 is my 6-year old boy.

She wanted to leave but basically has become a ward of the city.

I am self-sufficient and have a spotless legal record and decent professional history.

She has a felony conviction for forging a prescription and has been placed in a mental hopsital, twice, buy people that are NOT me. Unfortunately it seems that none of tgat is relevant since I am the father and she is the mother.

My 7 years in the Army, I have heard, seen, or otherwise been exposed to ober 200 cases involving child custody, I have seen 6 work out in the father's favor.

How do I secure full legal and physical custody?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 09:56 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,739,820 times
Get a lawyer.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:14 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
I am married but, possibly separated. The wife has 3 kids, 2 of them are stepkids and 1 is my 6-year old boy.

She wanted to leave but basically has become a ward of the city.

I am self-sufficient and have a spotless legal record and decent professional history.

She has a felony conviction for forging a prescription and has been placed in a mental hopsital, twice, buy people that are NOT me. Unfortunately it seems that none of tgat is relevant since I am the father and she is the mother.

My 7 years in the Army, I have heard, seen, or otherwise been exposed to ober 200 cases involving child custody, I have seen 6 work out in the father's favor.

How do I secure full legal and physical custody?
Document everything, and get a lawyer now.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:32 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,049 times
The lawyer I consulted just wanted to say push for joint legal / physical but, I don't want even that. I am at the point where I just want to say in court, I'm scared she'll just go nuts on him and slam him around to death but, I am also scared that the court would place my son in foster care rather than with me and, NYC foster has lost 10 kids over the past 3 months...

Old 12-27-2017, 01:47 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
The lawyer I consulted just wanted to say push for joint legal / physical but, I don't want even that. I am at the point where I just want to say in court, I'm scared she'll just go nuts on him and slam him around to death but, I am also scared that the court would place my son in foster care rather than with me and, NYC foster has lost 10 kids over the past 3 months...
Find a lawyer that specializes in Family law. Document everything in detail. Be honest with the lawyer about everything. Tell the attorney you want full custody.

Old 12-27-2017, 05:58 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,792,540 times
Get a lawyer. if you don't like the direction he/she is taking you, tell them why and tell them what you want. If their answer isn't satisfying, get another opinion. Those are pretty much your best options.

Best of luck.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:55 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
Yes I agree get a lawyer right now my son is going through child support battles the state keeps losing paper work he sends in . we cant take it in because we all live in another state because of all the bs the mother of the baby and her family tried to put us through . My son has taken her to court multiple times and it keeps getting delayed and frankly we are tired of all the bs the state does to people . It is all a money game .Unfortunately the states have seen a way to make money off of all the child support and anything else that generates revenue for the state . Believe me when I say it is a money game but good luck to you and God bless you .

Old 12-27-2017, 10:29 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,098,140 times
Do you want custody of all of them or just "yours"? Because that may be why the lawyer advised joint vs full.

You can't make allegations of someone being an unfit parent & say "Only for MY kid ... she's good enough for the others".

You have been in the Army for 7 years & your son is 6? Were you deployed or stationed somewhere that did not permit families? It's very difficult for single parents of under-school-age children to find accommodations for those children when they get orders.

It would be unfortunate to appear as though you used her for child care & now that your son is school age, that she is disposable.

How are you "possibly" separated? You don't know if you are or you think it's an imminent possibility?

Fathers are very relevant. You need a lot of good advice from a good lawyer & you need to focus on being a relevant father in the meantime.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:28 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
Contingent on the current State of residency. It may come down to the states BIAS for Maternal awards.

Because you are of Military , it runs the gammut of How THEY want you to handle parental obligations. You basically signed your LIFE over to the Military and they will advise on how you will be accountable.

Get a lawyer, ASK a Million questions and DO not let the lawyer dissuade you from pursuing FULL custody if that is your goal. You can have full custody and from there grant certain visitation or support.

I wish you well , and please let us know how it turns out. Some of us still hold out hope that the courts really do award custody to fathers.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:40 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times
You also might want to look into father's rights support groups and see if they can offer resources. Father's rights and placement with dads are becoming more common, so I don't think it is the impossible win you see it to be.

But the step kids are going to be tricky. Is their dad involved? I don't imagine you can get custody of the step kids unless you can prove both parents (and bio family like grandparents) are unfit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting