U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 06:28 AM

12,974 posts, read 11,363,158 times

Advertisements

I recently had a conversation with a mom whose child has food allergies, and she said she was seriously considering getting her son a medical tattoo. I had never heard of this in children before, but apparently it is a fairly rapidly growing trend particularly in children with Type 1 Diabetes, Allergies, Cardiac Conditions, and any type of implant. This is to replace the traditional medic alert bracelet.

My thoughts on the subject; my son wears a medic alert bracelet. He has outgrown 2, they have never broken. He knows to NEVER take it off. Seems to work for us. More importantly is the lack of privacy this leads to. The discussion seems to stem around "but if it saves my kids life...", personally I think that is not what's going to save a kids life, but it will result in labeling or branding them for life against their will.

What say you?

Medical tattoos with vital information replacing bracelets for some - HealthPop - CBS News

How tattoos are being used in the medical world - by Sara Lugardo - Helium

Tattoos being used for medical alerts - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 06:57 AM

36,325 posts, read 39,660,669 times
I don't like tattoos of any kind. I too have severe medical issues. Dog tags, bracelets and other ways to identify these conditions have worked for years. I would not permanently mark my child when other alternatives are available. Now if an adult chooses that method- great. But not me and certainly not my child.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:59 AM

35,103 posts, read 35,664,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I recently had a conversation with a mom whose child has food allergies, and she said she was seriously considering getting her son a medical tattoo. I had never heard of this in children before, but apparently it is a fairly rapidly growing trend particularly in children with Type 1 Diabetes, Allergies, Cardiac Conditions, and any type of implant. This is to replace the traditional medic alert bracelet.

My thoughts on the subject; my son wears a medic alert bracelet. He has outgrown 2, they have never broken. He knows to NEVER take it off. Seems to work for us. More importantly is the lack of privacy this leads to. The discussion seems to stem around "but if it saves my kids life...", personally I think that is not what's going to save a kids life, but it will result in labeling or branding them for life against their will.

What say you?

Medical tattoos with vital information replacing bracelets for some - HealthPop - CBS News

Tattoos being used for medical alerts - USATODAY.com
No child tattoos here, medic alert bracelet or neck chain, a card in their wallet, backpack or purse, a medical jump drive specifically for all medical information on it.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:10 AM

2,763 posts, read 4,209,958 times
I am all about tattoos, i am covered in them personally, but I see this as a VERY VERY horrible idea. Not only about subjecting the child to the pain, but as they grow, the tattoo will become warped and ugly. Just ask the frog on my hip that grew funny when I was pregnant.

But, with that being said, my brother in law (age 20) just got a huge diabetic tattoo on his arm. Which is ironic really because he refuses to take care of his diabetes, so he's in the hospital every other month.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:14 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,323,934 times
I definitely would not. Bracelets have been working for a very long time, and I see no reason to change. My daughters can choose to permanently ink their body when they're 18, medical or otherwise.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:41 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,035,182 times
Default I might switch to a neck chain tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

What say you?

attoos being used for medical alerts - USATODAY.com
I don't think I would get the tatoo. My husband has the medic alert necklace. It is not so noticible to others as a bracelet. It can be tucked under a t-shirt, and not get hung up during a sport or hands on activity.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:52 AM

32,538 posts, read 28,112,259 times
I wouldn't do it personally. Tattoos tend to change shape as people age. Allergies can change with age. I wore a bracelet as a kid. I didn't see it as a big deal. But I would have HATED being tattooed and have it literally branded on my body that something was wrong with me.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:13 PM

35,737 posts, read 34,365,782 times
In most states it's illegal to tattoo minors.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:36 PM

12,974 posts, read 11,363,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
In most states it's illegal to tattoo minors.
There are existing medical exemptions for minors. For example tattoos are often used to treat severe vitiligo.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:37 PM

41,656 posts, read 47,478,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I wouldn't do it personally. Tattoos tend to change shape as people age. Allergies can change with age. I wore a bracelet as a kid. I didn't see it as a big deal. But I would have HATED being tattooed and have it literally branded on my body that something was wrong with me.
Yup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or