Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 08:05 PM

220 posts, read 475,342 times

Advertisements

I hear women say this all of the time and I've read it on dating profiles online.

Does that REALLY mean, outside of your children, you don't have a life. I find it to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 08:08 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
I hear women say this all of the time and I've read it on dating profiles online.

Does that REALLY mean, outside of your children, you don't have a life. I find it to be true.
People who really believe this shouldn't be dating.
Their profile may as well be titled

"Who wants to come play second banana in my life?" (and not in a sexual way)

Old 03-08-2012, 08:45 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,631,331 times
I thought it meant like "Ooops! I spilled a little DNA on you, now you are me."

Old 03-08-2012, 09:06 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post

It means someone needs to get out more.

The last person I know who claimed that her kids were her life, was single, had 3 kids, didn't/couldn't work, and spent every waking min worrying about her children and her future grandchildren. She started knitting baby clothes for future grandchildren when her youngest was only 6 and her oldest only 12!

Old 03-08-2012, 09:28 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
It means someone needs to get out more.

The last person I know who claimed that her kids were her life, was single, had 3 kids, didn't/couldn't work, and spent every waking min worrying about her children and her future grandchildren. She started knitting baby clothes for future grandchildren when her youngest was only 6 and her oldest only 12!
I was going to say the exact same thing....

These are the Mom's you see at college send off days asking if calling their child 10 times a day is too much.....

Hobbies, other than children, are a good thing.

Now, we enjoy attending our children's activities and they do take up a fair amount of our time but I have zero issues leaving them home so we can go on a vacation too.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:45 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,596,424 times
Well, they may be a good fit for a dad who has the same thing on his profile. Maybe that is what she is looking for, someone of like mind. Someone who won't mind if she backs out of a date because her child is sick, and vise versa. Someone who won't mind a call from the sitter interupting the date because he left his phone number with his sitter for the same reason.
Maybe she is looking for a guy who won't be butt hurt if she pays attention to her kids as well as him.
IDK, I think people are unrealistic dating about around when they have kids. Most of the time the man doesn't have the responsibility the women have with their children so it's easy for them to belittle women who say their kids are their life. Quit frankly kids are most women's lives, wether they can admit it or not. Kids take up the majority of your time when they are little. That is how they are designed. Dating with small kids isn't a good idea. It's not fair that men can date the next day after a divorce but it's a little different for woman. IMO.
I don't in any fashion think they mean what you think they mean. I think it's a common phrase that just means, I have small kids that take up a lot of my time and would like to meet the same kind of man so he won't tell me I need to get a life. I think they say it upfront so if kids are a turn off you don't even try. It's easier that way.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:08 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,908,683 times
When my parents divorced the term "My children are my life' became very apparent to me.

I always knew my brother and I were #1 my dads life. When my father was to get remarried he sat us down and said his intentions, asked us if we were ok with it and that he did not want to bring in someone who would have a negative impact on our lives. We of course said yes but that gesture reinforced that we were #1 in his life and that we could confide in him, without his new spouse knowing about it.

My mother on the other hand also got remarried. However, her new spouse was clearly #1 in her life. Once I complained about something that he did and it went straight from my mouth to his ears. All of our relationships have never been the same since then. Both my brother and I feel we have taken a back seat to the new life.

Perhaps some will view my fathers view as extreme but that is what a parent should be. He was not buddy, buddy all the time but I knew he would always be there when needed. Whenever I needed a ride back to college he would gladly do it, just to spend time with me in the car. Some time we would leave at 5am to beat the traffic and he would drive right back to work. My mother? couldn't fit it into her busy schedule of collection child support and working part time.

My dad worked his ass off to put us through prep school and college. Unfortunately he is passed a few years ago, but to me he's an example of his children being his life.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:09 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
it means that somebody needs to go to this link and read patterns and characteristics.

http://www.sdccoda.org/

Old 03-08-2012, 11:23 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,754,649 times
I am married, but I consider my child "my life". What it means is I'm not going to drop everything for you if its going to affect my child, including my husband.

Call me anal, but if its "nap time" for my son, I am *not* going to do anything to interrupt that He sleeps like clockwork every day, so my friends know not to call/ask for things during that time unless its an emergency.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:32 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,596,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
it means that somebody needs to go to this link and read patterns and characteristics.

San Diego County CoDA Welcome
lol, I'm not sure which one you mean? The woman who has children or the man who wants to be more important than them to the woman?
Maybe they can go on a date together and God can teach them both to be free from responsibilities as a unit.
As you can tell, I'm not a fan of "whiner groups", especially those with 12 steps to freedom.

I think if I got divorce when my kids were young I would have let the time pass when my kids were young and had little time between work and kids. If I happened to met a guy then I'd let nature take care of it. If he wasn't understanding then he would just drop off. After all, I didn't crap him out of my crotch, he'd be fine.

Take your off time to relax, and get in touch with yourself. I for the life of me don't understand the hurry in anything. I guess that's my blessing.

This thread just makes me sooooo glad I'm married!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting